Dorothy GibsonNazi

Dear Glenda,

Thank you for the encouraging words about
the Gibson girls. It was fascinating having
the elements of the story unfold! This story
is definitely the reason why Phil and I have
spent over 50 years collecting everything
we could on the passengers and crew; to tell
their stories. Glad you enjoyed this one.
Stay tuned.

I agree with Glenda - This article sure was fascinating to read. I can't imagine all of the work that went into putting this together. Thank you Phil & Brian! I look forward to reading y'alls next article!

- Beth

So, what is the general consensus on Dorothy Gibson - Nazi spy or not? Her actions sure make you wonder.
happy.gif

Good morning Beth and Glenda--thanks for the compliments. I personally believe that Dorothy did have some involvement with the Nazis but to what extent I doubt if we'll ever know. Her mother's actions after Dorothy's death just can't be ignored and to have been THAT pro-Nazi (and THAT close to her daughter) is just too suspicious. Although the authorities at the time thought Dorothy wasn't smart enough to be a spy, I have to wonder if she might have been a better actress than she was ever given credit for on the silent screen.

Yes, Phil has mostly gray hair and will be half a century old in less than 3 weeks. But as George Burns used to say, "it beats the alternative."

Thanks again,
Phil

There is nothing a real spy loves more then for the authorities to think they're too dumb to be a spy. Makes you wonder about Dorothy. Was she really as stupid as some people thought?

I wonder...

Good article indeed gentlemen! One to be proud of!
I heard that it takes a very smart person to play a dumb one. (It was being spoken about Ned Beatty who played Ottis in Superman.)
In reading the story, I was reminded in several occasions of the similarities to Mata Hari.
Any clues to who you will captivate us with next?

I also have just finished perusing your article, Phillip and Brian, and must say that it was certainly very thought-provoking and well-researched. IMO I think that Dorothy was sharp as a tack...throwing the hounds off the scent (so to speak) by continually reflecting on her mother's poor health, my thinking is that good ol' mum was perfectly hardy. I agree with the majority here, I think Dorothy was a superb actress and very intelligent. Thank you for your hard work...and remember, gentlemen, age is but a perception.

Dennis,
If you return to Encyclopedia Titanica main page, under the New Research Articles heading, there is The Saga of the Gibson Women link to click onto.
Regards,
Cori

Back