Dorothy Gibson

James-
As best as I've been able to determine Dorothy and her mother were always very close. Pauline had three children and two died in infancy--so apparently she was very protective of Dorothy as her only surviving child. Also, Dorothy wasn't a Gibson at all. Dorothy was born to Pauline by her first marriage to John Brown. Later Pauline married Leonard C. Gibson and they had no children of their own but Dorothy used that surname. When Dorothy was asked to name her father on legal documents, she claimed his name was John Gibson--a morph of the first name of her biological father and her step-father.

When Dorothy and Brulatour divorced she went to Europe accompanied by her mother and the two remained in Europe the rest of their lives though at times the two lived in different countries. Leonard Gibson was left behind in New York and never went to Europe--I'm not even sure that Pauline came back to his funeral though they were never divorced.

Bordering on larcenous??? The story is much worse than that. Larceny would have been child's play compared to what it appears that these two may have done. Regardless of the image Dorothy projected during her starlet years, these were not nice people. Dorothy died in Paris and Pauline, who was 79 at the time, lived in another country and I'm not sure she made it to Dorothy's funeral--it appears she did not. But Dorothy did leave a written will (included in her bio here on ET) and left her mother everything she owned with a contingency clause stating that in the event Pauline predeceased her, her longtime paramour, a Spanish diplomat named Antonio Ramos, would inherited her estate. Ramos remained involved in Pauline's life until she died although things did get uuugly between them. When taken as a whole, the Gibson saga relating to Titanic was a small footnote to what was to come later. I'll eventually make it all public--but am not through with the research--kind of like the Clinton pardons, the new and sordid twists in the story continue to crop up constantly. It will take me a while longer to obtain all the relative details so that I can publish some sort of truly comprehensive biography of these two.

I've said too much, so better stop for now. I really am very anxious to finish my research on these people but it will take some time as I'm having to deal with foreign entities and communicate in languages I don't speak well. But maybe this starts to answer your question about the relationship.

Regards,
Phillip

Phillip: Well, you've more than whetted my appetite- you've one guaranteed sale. Could it be worse than Charlotte Shelby, mother of Mary Miles Minter who between 1914 and 1939 terrorised her beautiful but untalented daughters into film careers they didn't want, murdered the boyfriend of one daughter, committed the other daughter to a mental hospital as a rather forceful way of ending a property dispute, bled both daughters dry financially AND allegedly bribed three consecutive LA district attorneys? If it is comparable, I think you have a best seller on hand, and I am not being at all facetious. And, if you wish, you can include the previously mentioned picture, and slap the classic "With 8 Pages Of Horrifying Photographs" blurb on the cover. I look forward to reading it in whatever format it takes, and if I succeed in turning up one of Dorothy's films I'll forward you a copy.

When Phil comes out with all this, I'd say Jim is on the right track about it's being a best-seller calibre story. I think it will prove one of best inside passenger scoops of all.

Yes, I sense that Phillip has a hit on his hands. Considering that Crime And Sleaze is the one aspect of Old Hollywood (and, yes, I know- Dorothy was not a Hollywood figure) which still maintains broad public interest, and that the Titanic is probably the ONE 20th Century event EVERYONE has at least some interest in, a well researched fusion of the two would be unbeatable. When the time comes, CASTING the inevitable movie will be the subject of another fun series of postings I am sure.

The old woman who played "Mrs. Naugatuck" on the sitcom "MAUDE" (Hermione Baddeley??) should play Pauline. Dixie Carter, in a non-comedic role, could be a good Dorothy.

PG

So you would say that Pauline was a bit low class and uncouth? That is what I remember about Mrs Naugatuck. As she put it, she ran a " bawdy house ".

Shelley,
It is *somewhere* in my "Titanic Room"--unfortunately not in the Dorothy Gibson file--which means its in one of the several stacks :). Also not very juicy--just an obit. I promise to post it as soon as I can find it.

PG

Shelley: Briefly, Yes I Do. I just sent you a rather long e-mail off board, but am not sure it actually went through. If in fact it didn't, let me know and I'll try to recreate it. JIM

That would be some role as my reference book indicates she is dead. Of course, Hermione could do some up close and personal research with dear mama Pauline - that is if they are in the same place! But why stop with that lady, why not have her go through Phil's unknowns and bring back some ghost-hand information. Seriously, she was a great actress . . . and then there's Maude . . . (words from the theme song for those who don't remember or lack re-runs) herself - Bea Arthur although I think she is a pretty gracious lookinglady. Enough

BEATRICE ARTHUR! A great choice, but also perfectly suited to the murderous Chalotte Shelby (Minter). Dixie Carter as Dorothy Gibson? Interesting choice.....I might have gone with someone who, like Dorothy, is not ideally photogenic and who carries about them a slight touch of menace....probably Tori Spelling. I see by this week's Enquirer that The Landers Sisters are making a comeback (at last) and I hope that they can somehow be fit in to the Titanic part of this projected film. Jusy Landers as the Countess of Rothes with Audrey playing Miss Cherry might be just the vehicle they are seeking.

Forgot to post this charming photo and account pf Dorothy- very flattering -the top phot. She had a certain "something"- those eyes-I think.
execpc.com/~reva/gibson.htm

Back