Attractive and Ugly Cruise Ships

Oh! Internet sarcasm is always difficult to interpret
happy.gif

After reading John Clifford's post about being aboard the QM2 last February during the QM2's cruise to Hawaii and seeing the husband and wife go out onto the balcony of their Deck 8 suite and the husband is in his briefs really had to be an embarrassing moment for this man.I do remember a few years ago I was aboard the QE2 during a cruise to the Caribbean and I was on Quarter Deck aft at the railing which has a view of the outdoor pool on 1 Deck at the stern.There was a husband and wife sitting by the pool and there was no one else there because it was early in the evening at dinner time.All of a sudden the husband stood up took off his shirt and shoes and pulled down his pants.The funny thing is that underneath his pants was not a bathing suit but a colored brief and you can tell it is a colored brief and not a speedo because the brief had a white waistband.And then the husband jumped into the pool wearing just his underwear.To this day I can't help thinking that didn't this husband and wife even know that I was there one deck up from them looking at them and this is a public area at the edge of the pool.If this man wanted to take a dip into the pool why not put on your bathing suit? I would never swim in the pool wearing just underwear because it is embarrassing and I always remember to pack a bathing suit when I go on a cruise.I could understand a little 2 year old boy swimming in the pool in his underwear but not an adult man.

Hi Jerry,

Maybe the gentleman at the pool was just taking to heart the old Cunard marketing slogans "Getting There is Half the Fun" and "Ships Have Been Boring Long Enough"

woohooo! Come on in, the water's fine!

Well Kyle maybe this particular man forgot to pack his bathing suit and he wanted to take a dip in the pool so badly that he did not mind embarrassing himself by jumping into the pool in his underwear.Funny that his wife did not strip down to her bra and panties to join her husband in the pool.Or maybe this same particular man is a member of a nudist club and he wanted to swim naked in the pool but his wife would not let him so the husband then would say to his wife "O.k. honey I'll swim in the pool wearing my underwear".But all kidding aside I was kind of shocked when I saw this man do his x-rated strip to his underwear and then swim in the pool act,I just thought that this kind of x-rated behavior would never happen aboard a Cunard Ship.So Kyle you must be right that this man believed in the old Cunard slogans to do his x-rated act.I wonder if this same man and wife ever cruised aboard an Norwegian Cruise Line Ship where "Freestyle Cruising" is done and this same man literally believes the "Freestyle Cruising" slogan means swimming in the ship's swimming pool in the nude or in his underwear. LOL

>If someone was going to go (almost) skinny-dipping, he should at least go on a cruise appropriately themed for it!

Another travel horror story- Mike and I were one a cruise a while back, and one of the beach excursions, sold to the mostly-born-during-the-reign-of Queen- Victoria passengers, was to a beach where....uhhh....bathing suits were somewhat optional, and EXTREMELY brief when worn at all. The only thing scarier than our fellow passengers who rebelled at the thought, were those who did not. Yes, I KNOW...life is not only meant for the enjoyment of the young, toned, and users of electrolysis....but it was still the stuff of nightmares. I relaxed enough to loosen my tie, but that was it.

In my opinion, the cruise ships I think that are most attractive are Royal Caribbean's Radiance class.

239900.jpg

My reasons are:
1. RCL didn't overdo the balconies, just enough to give the ships a sleek profile.
2. RCL didn't exaggerate the ship's height.
3. Perhaps the stern shape could be rounder, but I'll let it slide for Radiance...
4. And finally, the superstructure nicely complements the ships themselves (it doesn't look tacked on, like Norwegian Epic...)

*If I end up designing ocean liners/cruise ships in the future as a naval architect, I am definitely taking a voyage on these ships as part of the design process for my ships.

Back