Bigham's Finding Dorothy

Looks like an interesting book, Randy. I know that you put your whole heart and soul into this, not to mention years of extensive research. I haven't seen it up here in Detroit yet, but I will definitely keep an eye open for it.

Do you have any other books out?

--Mark

Oh jolly good. Does the publisher distribute internationally? I'll duck off to get the ISBN and see if I can get a copy ordered in. I can think of a local library or two that may find it of interest also.

Mind you, poor Mike Tennaro could probably recite my credit card details from memory by now. ;)

Hi, Mark & Fiona:

As Jennifer said, unfortunately the book isn't out yet. It will be Feb. 9. Pre-ordering isn’t available right now but hopefully will be soon. The ISBN # is 0—615—12752—5.

My book on Lucile is in the process of review by Texas Tech University as part of its Costume Society of America Series.

Thanks to Inger for posting the covers. The files I had to give her weren’t the best so my apologies. I’ve been asked what the wording is on the front and back covers. It is:

Front:

Finding Dorothy

Edwardian cover girl and silent screen star
DOROTHY GIBSON
survived the sinking of the Titanic,
a disastrous marriage, even the horrors
of a World War II concentration camp,
but the judgment of history
didn’t spare her.

Randy Bryan Bigham
reclaims the story of a life forgotten.

Back:

Though born to a middle class Baptist family in Hoboken, nothing ordinary would do for Dorothy Winifred Gibson (1889-1946).

Achieving national celebrity as a model for top commercial illustrator Harrison Fisher, she parlayed her fame into a career as an actress for the pioneering motion picture studio, í‰clair American, becoming a favorite in the emerging star system of pre-Hollywood silent cinema.

Thrust further into the spotlight when she survived the sinking of the Titanic and recreated her experiences in the first-ever film about the disaster, Dorothy longed for a life away from the screen and the press.

But marital bliss, her one real ambition, would elude her.

Dorothy’s scandalous affair with millionaire movie mogul Jules Brulatour, whom she eventually did marry, decimated her reputation and, after a divorce, she moved to Paris to forget the past.

Yet even in retirement, notoriety pursued her. Arrested as a spy during World War II, she escaped from an Italian concentration camp but not from her fate.

Her health ruined, but her resolve in tact, Dorothy died alone, yet "gorgeously happy," in her suite at the Hotel Ritz in Paris. She was only 56.

Drawing on media accounts, archival documents and the assistance of an international team of researchers, Randy Bryan Bigham presents in this book the definitive story of Dorothy Gibson Brulatour’s controversial, courageous, amazing journey.

Randy and Jennifer:

I'm really looking forward to this! I knew Dorothy's story in broad outline, but it's going to be great to have the details at last. As is probably clear from my other postings here and from my work, I have a great interest in classic and silent films. So many people like Dorothy have fascinating stories, and those stories are becoming increasingly hard to research. Materials are becoming scattered, and old papers are disintegrating (I recently tracked down a rare newspaper article for a project of mine, finding that just ONE library listed it in its holdings. Sadly, the library staff found that its cheap, high-acid newsprint had turned to dust inside the envelope that had been intended to protect it).

So many young women dreamed of being in the movies in Dorothy's era; at that time, it was one of the few ways that a woman could aspire to a salary and power roughly equivalent to a man's. Obviously, Dorothy was looking for something personally important to her by entering the movies- her entire history points to a tremendous drive to transcend the limits society placed on women in her day.

Hopefully soon, I'll get to read the book, and find out more. Thanks, Randy- I'm looking forward to knowing more about Dorothy at last.

Fiona,
Although Randy recently answered part of your last question, I'd like to let you know if we can't ship internationally through Amazon.com, then we will surely send copies personally to those who wish to buy them. I'll post when they are ready to purchase. Let me know if the libraries you mentioned are interested in a copy, and thanks so much for your enthusiasm and support.

Jennifer

Randy and Jennifer,

The Book is excellent! I received my copy earlier this week. I am very impressed! It flows nicely and is an easy read. Far more Illustrations that I had imagined too! It is a great addition to any collection! Thanks again.

Re: "Finding Dorothy"

I got my copy today, and was positively enthralled!! Great illustrations, and what detailed research, that went into this!!
I am a huge collector of books, inclusive of
Titanic, of course. The presentation of Dorothy's biography , is wonderfully done in this book.
My congratulations to you, Randy , for an excellent book. Prior to hearing of this publication, my curiosity had always been peaked
about Dorothy, but unfortunately due to circumstances, I myself, did not have time to do
the research. Thanks for this book and the
effort and energy , you put into it. I wish
you much success with it. A great book, with
many illustrations. It was a book, well worth
waiting for.Jennifer, my congratulations to you
as well. What a gift , you two have given me.
Thanks.

As an added PS to my previous post...my
thanks and congratulations to all who helped
contribute to this excellent book. A great book
to add to my Titanic Collection.

Ed,
Yes, there are still some copies of the book available for purchase. You can search for it under its title "Finding Dorothy " under the book section of the site. Thank you so much for your interest in our book, and I hope you enjoy it.

Jennifer

P.S. If you havea problem finding it, just post here again and we willmake sure you get your copy.

Ed,
I may have misunderstood your request. Copies of the book are still available, but not the CD-ROM or select prints. Those were in limited numbers and only available to first buyers. I do apologize, but the book alone is definitely worth the interest. I hope that I’ve been of help to you.

Thanks,
Jennifer

P.S. Randy and I want to thank everyone on ET for the moral support we’ve received during this project. We are both so happy those who have a copy of "Finding Dorothy" are pleased and hope that the quality is apparent.

Thank you Jennifer and Randy for the book about Dorothy I ordered. Excellent work about a very unusual woman.
On the internet pages to Adam Matthew Publications there is a chapter "Special operations executive 1940 - 1946 subversion and sabotage during World War II. Series One SOE Operations in Western Europe"
I come up with a few lines (not all there is) about Dorothy, in case anybody interested have not read it before:
"UGO submitted to source a plan whereby it was hoped to achieve a penetration of Allied Intelligence rings in Switzerland. The plan involved the employmet of Montanelli, Dorothy Gobson and General Zambon, three anti-Fascists then in prison at Milan."Certainly there may be some wara researchers who want to find out more about the mysterious Dr. Ugo.

I fully endorse Monica's excellent review of Randy's book. Perhaps, as Monica writes, not for the rivet counters amongst us but then it is not about Titanic but about Dorothy's life story.

After the Titanic sank she expressed rather negative views about the way the crew performed but as the Author points out since she was one of the first away in a lifeboat she was hardly in a position to know what transpired later.

I was delight to obtain a copy of the first edition of this book, which is excellently written and beautifully illustrated.

Hi, all:

Thanks to each of you who have posted such kind comments about my book. It’s much appreciated. Thanks, too, to Phil Hind & ET for offering the great contest to benefit BTS, and also to Monica Hall for her nice review.

I much appreciate Monica’s thoughtful review. It’s true that tech-minded Titanic enthusiasts won’t care for the book, and that it’s appeal is therefore geared to those who are interested in social history. Having said that, I want readers to know that a lot of effort was put into the accuracy of the two Titanic chapters, and that they contain new information that will be of value to passenger researchers.

As to Monica’s delicate criticism, I did use adverbs and adjectives in "emotional" areas of the story but it was strategic, and their use doesn’t characterize the overall writing style of the book; I don’t want people thinking this is a work of "purple prose."

The original 1911 Harrison Fisher print that accompanies the signed copy of "Finding Dorothy" as a prize is quite a beauty and I think the winner will enjoy it.

Again thanks to everyone who has supported me (and Jennifer) in this project.

Best wishes,
Randy

Back