Boilers and Engines

And what made the launch of the Principessa Jolanda all the more embarrassing was that it happened right in front of thousands of dignitaries including members of the Italian Senate and the nobility! I'll bet there was a slight change in the yard management after this little fiasco.

Thanks for posting those photos Phil.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Was there anybody onboard that poor sinking Principessa Jolanda boat? I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it...

That ~ ~ was an apalling scene!

Dave Colton, Joshua, Mark, Michael, Adam, Roy, Dave,

As regards as installing the propellers onto Titanic, did the weight of those things have anything to do with installing them towards the end of her construction?

Teri

I think it had more to do with avoiding damage to them. I'm not to keen on it, since the Lusitania and Mauretania were both launched with theirs attached. I honestly don't think it's a weight factor, so much as a safety one.

Adam

Adam,

Hmmmmm. I never thought of the safety factor. Can't see though, how it would get damaged unless they dropped it or it fell off its hooks. If they were the last parts to be installed, doesn't seem like anything could get in the way, but I am no technical engineer of ships, for sure.

Teri

Regards the Principessa Jolanda; as far as I know, there were no casualties...except perhaps the underwear of whoever rode that thing into the water and the jobs of whoever was handy to blame.

Regards the reasons propellers are installed prior to launch by some shipyards, and post-launch by others, I have no idea. Though I suspect conveinence may have had something to do with it. I'm inclined to agree with Adam's opinion that minimizing the risk of damage may have been a factor.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

I have never built a ship, just a lot of smaller craft. During my boatbuilding career I don't think we ever finished one vessel in exactly the same order. Every boat went down the line with something missing...always something different. My point is that there is probably nothing unusual or sinister in the fact that H&W launched Titanic (or any other ship) without propellers.

-- David G. Brown

Roy,

I don't think you can say that this forum's about proving others wrong - it's about everyone engaging in interesting debate and furthering their knowledge, learning misconceptions and sharing opinions.

Best regards,

Mark.

Mark, Sorry my attempt at being flippant! Regarding the pitch normally it is determined prior to fitting the propeller,it's based on weight, waterline length and ships horsepower yes? Roy.

Mark,

Well said.

Roy,

Keep pitching your theories, that's what we're all here for...

David Brown,

Thanks for the input. I would be inclined to add the propellers on at the last possible moment, only because of their size, weight and bulkiness. That's my own opinion.

Teri

Back