Catholic Passengers on Titanic

I usually have a footnote reference for the facts on my Web site, but not always.

First, he would not have said Mass outside. Father Byles is the one who borrowed the Mass kit from his friend, Msgr. Watson; otherwise, they would have been without Mass.

Secondly, there must have been witnesses that saw him finally give the general absolution at the end. I would have to look through my many sources, newspaper articles, etc. in order to find it. I just know I wouldn't have made that up.

Okay, here it is. This comes from a St. Louis paper (_The Church Progress_), Thursday, May 2, 1912. It states: "When the time for confession seemed too short, he bade all kneel and repeat the Act of Contrition, after which he gave absolution."

Again, I imagine this came from an eye witness, as there were just a few who did survive the actual sinking.

I found this tid-bit from _Maiden Voyage_ among my notes from Msgr. D. Shanahan: "The poor Irish boys and girls from the steerage were more profitably occupied. They were down on their knees and praying. Only at the last had they been able to gain access to the boat-deck, when the gate having been broken down a huge crowd of steerage passengers came surging up from below. On deck they found the English priest, Father Byles, moving to and fro among the passengers hearing confessions and giving them absolution."

Father Archer

Father, I am glad to see you pop in to help explain things. Thank you for clarifying some stuff for us! As you are in a far better position than anyone here to know about Father Byles, I appreciate you making time to share with us.

Doni, I have to make one correction to a post of yours. He was not on the stern of the ship. He was on the aft end of the boat deck. After all the boats were gone, this is where he stayed by all accounts.

Back