Children on titanic

Now I've seen these bellboys on cable TV. I think Cunard have done it deliberately - hired 16 year-olds who look and sound much younger. Sort of throw-back to previous liner eras. I suppose you could call it attention to detail...

No bellboys? What's the world coming to? I bet they've got those disembodied voices instead - the ones which say calmly "Doors opening" when you're already staring into the vestibule, and "Doors closing" when everyone's been standing around claustrophobically, avoiding eye contact, and punching level numbers on the control panel for the last 30 seconds.

Probably it was asking you to mind the speaker!
lame.gif

My son, a demi-chef, has been pondering a job with Cunard, but he's not 21 yet so that's in the future. His colleague, who has worked for Cunard quite recently, says the worst job is the bus-boy (spelling?). These are the lowliest in the kitchens, working 14 hours a day for 7 days a week for four months at a time, and being bawled at constantly by every other kitchen staff member. Ben was told that there have been suicides among these employees in recent years. Anyone know anything about this? I would have expected a scandal to follow if this is true, but apparently these lads are not either English or American as a rule ... hmm.

Monica, I would expect that any suicides would have been handled very descreetly. They family would be notified, the remains of the decedant returned home if possible, assorted administrative concerns would have been quietly taken care of and that would be the end of it. For obvious reasons, this is not the sort of thing that the lines would want the media to get a hold of.

Yes, Michael, I'm sure you may be right. But it sounds awful, doesn't it? And poor Ben doesn't fancy being one of the bawlers, especially if those being bawled at are not native English speakers and don't have the cultural back-up that we do to assert decent working conditions. Still, as I said, Ben is a little bit too young yet. But he's a bit shocked by such stories.... which, of course, is all they may be.

Jeremy, yes the suicides were reported to have happened on board ship - if they happened at all, that is. One cannot always believe everything one hears, but knowing what I now do about kitchens, I would not be that suprised. They are fairly brutal places.

When a suicide occured aboard one of James Moody's ships in 1904, the event was covered up. The entry in the marine death's register stated that he had 'fallen' overboard, and the Captain told a newspaper that the boy must have fallen when the ship took a sudden lurch. Moody spoke very frankly of the circumstances around the incident in a private letter, and indicated that this was the boy's second attempt. He seems to have taken it almost for granted that the incident was covered up, even though it involved his fellow apprentices - including Moody - having to give a whitewashed version of events to the Consul in NY.

Of course, that was in 1904. One would hope that a rash of suicides among a particular group of crewmen would draw more comment today, but then again...look at what has happened in recent years at military camps, and how slow authorities have been to look into the spate of deaths. What nationality do the boys tend to be, Monica? Philipinos?

And yes, kitchens are brutal places...even in a country with rather good workplace practices such as Australia, I have a friend working as a chef who tells hair-raising stories of the abuses that go on within the industry.

Back