Commissioning a Ken Marshall painting

Thats a good way to look at it. Maybe you and I will get lucky, w
thank you. I was planning on asking for a 1912 version of the Bow or Stern wreck. what do you think?
I reckon he's done a few of the bow and the stern, so maybe a genuine print is your best option? They are usually numbered and sometimes of limited issue, so are worth a fair bit. I doubt he'd be interested in painting yet another shot of the bow when it's been done so many times? To check prices, just see how much modern artists charge for pretty crap paintings and unmade beds! The research and detail that KM puts into his paintings is going to cost on at least a per hour basis, and I think that 100 hours is well short of the mark. I charge up to $200/hr for what I do (I'm not an artist, I'm a marine engineer) on consultancy, and it takes around a month to churn out a specification for something like an FPSO. At $1600 a day for say 20 days (ie a working month) that's $32k - and I'm not even remotely famous or gifted like Ken is!

If you read his bio he might be ready to start winding down a bit. But I have no idea of his work plans. It's his living and he might not consider it a job but a calling. But from my personal experience after 30 years of doing the same thing it lost its luster so to speak.

Last edited:
I reckon he's done a few of the bow and the stern, so maybe a genuine print is your best option? They are usually numbered and sometimes of limited issue, so are worth a fair bit. I doubt he'd be interested in painting yet another shot of the bow when it's been done so many times? To check prices, just see how much modern artists charge for pretty crap paintings and unmade beds! The research and detail that KM puts into his paintings is going to cost on at least a per hour basis, and I think that 100 hours is well short of the mark. I charge up to $200/hr for what I do (I'm not an artist, I'm a marine engineer) on consultancy, and it takes around a month to churn out a specification for something like an FPSO. At $1600 a day for say 20 days (ie a working month) that's $32k - and I'm not even remotely famous or gifted like Ken is!
I think I ‘ll do the stern. But its fine if he doesn't want to

Back