Cyril Evans and his wireless

It seems likely a lot of other captains were probably jealous of Smith eating filet mignon with millionaires, smoking expensive cigars, getting his own personal bathtub, etc. While guys like Lord were on some slowpoke rust bucket eating cold beans on toast hauling lumber or whatever.
First and foremost, captain Stanley Lord didn't work for the White Star Line but for the Leyland line and was only 34 years old in a time when men could hardly expect to achieve the helm much before their fifth decade. Secondly, the Californian wasn't a slowpoke rust bucket, when she entered service 10 years before she was described as followed:
“The size of the Californian cannot be estimated by mere figures, but the large crowd which assembled in the yard yesterday could form from the vessel as she sat on the stocks an idea of her magnitude. The vastness of the vessel was the first impression that appealed to the average person, but her dimensions were better illustrated when comparison was made between her and other vessels in the yard, and more forcibly still as she lay at the 90-ton crane—a mammoth among the steamers around. The Californian has been built to the order of F. Leyland and Co., Ltd., Liverpool. She is [a] very handsomely modelled steel screw-steamer of the following dimensions:—Length over all, 464 feet; breadth, extreme, 54 feet; depth to shelter deck, 42 feet 6 inches. The vessel is of the three-decked type, with a complete shelter deck all fore and aft, and also a long promenade dock amidships, and has been built under Lloyd's and Board of Trade special survey, and is much in excess of their requirements. Including erections, the vessel will have a gross tonnage of 8100 tons, and measurement capacity of about 15,000 tons. Like other vessels of this line, accommodation is provided for first-class passengers only, and about 20 commodious state-rooms, to accommodate from 50 to 60 persons, along with large dining saloon, baths, lavatories, &c., are fitted below the promenade deck on port side. The dining saloon is handsomely panelled in Hungarian ash and satin wood, with teak frames, and upholstered in moquette. The whole design has a very pleasing effect. The starboard side of the promenade deck is devoted to the accommodation of officers, engineers, and stewards, &c., along with pantries, bakeries, &c. Above the promenade deck there is a large teak house, containing accommodation for captain; also chart-room and a cosy smoke-room, panelled in oak, and upholstered in embossed leather; while the floor is laid with rubber tiling. The crew are comfortably housed below shelter deck forward. The vessel has ample water ballast, being fitted with cellular double bottom all fore and aft, and also a deep hold tank immediately abaft the engine-room, along with afterpeak tank. She has four steel masts with fore and aft rig and seven large cargo hatches, with double derricks at each; while the deck machinery is of the most modern description and includes eight steam winches, steam windlass and a Wilson Pirrie patent steam steering gear, which is fitted in after deckhouse, and she is thoroughly equipped for dealing rapidly with either cattle or general cargo having a complete installation of electric light, consisting of about 260 lights, by Messrs W.H. Allen, Son & Co., Bedford. The machinery consists of a set of triple expansion engines, having cylinders of 26, 43, and 74 inches with a stroke of 60 inches, supplied with steam from two large steel double-ended boilers working at a pressure of 200 lbs. per square inch. The propeller constructed of manganese bronze, the whole being supplied from the Caledon Shipping and Engineering Company, Limited, Lilybank Engine Works.”

I personally always thought giving Smith his own bathtub was really taking things to extremes, and I think indirectly that played a big role in the disaster.
You make it sound as the Olympic class liners were the first ships afloat with a private bathroom for it's captain. This is absolutely false. The RMS Teutonic, RMS Majestic, RMS Oceanic (1899), the SS Afric, SS Medic, SS Persic, SS Runic, SS Suevic, RMS Celtic, RMS Cedric, RMS Baltic and RMS Adriatic all had this feature too for it’s commander according to general arrangement and accommodation plans alike and if I am allowed to speculated I can say with a degree of certainty that many White Star Liners in between did too. The RMS Majestic, RMS Baltic and RMS Adriatic were commanded by captain Smith and yet I see him not being a victim of his own success here while he was in charge since all of them stayed above the sea until they were all scrapped.
Along with letting him design his own menus
There is no evidence that captain Smith designed his own menus during the voyage. Purser McElroy and chef Proctor designed the menus served in the dining saloons, where captain Smith had his own six seating table. The menu in the á la carte restaurant was designed by it's own staff.
and host dinner parties
If you refer to the dining party that was held on the 14th of April in the á la carte restaurant you must know captain Smith didn't host it, it was hosted by George and Eleanor Widener (together with their son Harry) who invited captain Smith as their personal guest along with the Thayers, the Carters, Major Archibald B-utt and likely Henry Anderson.
and cancel boat drills
The now infamous canceled lifeboat drill appears to have been only a muster of the crew at their stations and no passengers would have been involved. For more information I highly recommend the following article:
The forgotten drills aboard Titanic
It seems that EJ Smith was a victim of his own success in the end, it all just went to his head. If it was today, they would have made him cruise director and "captain emeritus" and left nautical duties to the younger, more capable guys like Lightoller.
The duties you describe weren't in the hands of captain Smith but in charge of members of the victualling crew with purser Hugh Richard Walter McElroy as the figurehead of it's management (together with chief steward Andrew Latimer). Captain Smith and the surgeon (Doctor William O'Loughlin), purser (Hugh McElroy), chief steward (Andrew Latimer) and the chief engineer (Joseph Bell) would speak to one another in the morning about matters relating to daily run of things. McElroy according to rule 99 of the officer's handbook would keep the captain Smith fully advised as to what passes in his department.

The duties of a White Star Commander were as followed:
Officer's handbook:
18.-Responsibility of Commanders.The Commanders must distinctly understand that the issue of these Regulations does not, in any way, relieve them from entire responsibility for the safe and efficient navigation of their respective vessels ; and they are also enjoined to remember that they must run no risk which might by any possibility result in accident to their ships. It is to be hoped that they will ever bear in mind that the safety of the lives and property entrusted to their care is the ruling principle that should govern them in the navigation of their vessels, and that no supposed gain in expedition, or saving of time on the voyage, is to be purchased at the risk of accident. The Company desires to maintain for its vessels a reputation for safety, and only looks for such speed on the various voyages as is consistent with safe and prudent navigation. All ports should as far as possible be entered and left in daylight, and Commanders should post themselves prior to each voyage as to vessels which they are likely to meet in the channels leaving port.
Commanders are reminded that the steamers are uninsured, and that their own livelihood, as well as the Company's success, depends on immunity from accidents. No precaution which ensures safe navigation is to be considered excessive.
General rules of the White Star Line:
1. Instructions to be attended to.The company’s commanders and officers are particularly enjoined to make themselves not only acquainted, but familiar with the following rules and regulations
2. Responsibility of Commanders.The commanders must distinctly understand that the issue of the following instructions does not in any way, relieve them from entire responsibility for the safe and efficient navigation of their respective vessels; and they are also enjoined to remember that whilst they are expected to use every diligence to secure a speedy voyage, they must run no risk which might by any possibility result in accident to their ships. It is to be hoped that they will bear in mind that the safety of lives and property entrusted to their care is the ruling principles that should govern them in the navigation of their ships and no supposed gain in expedition or saving of time on the voyage, is to be purchased at the risk of accident. The Company desires to establish and maintain for its vessels a reputation for safety, and only looks for such speed on various voyages as is consistent with safe and prudent navigation.
3. Authority of Commanders.The officers, engineers, and all others borne upon the ship’s books, are subject to the control and orders of the commander, and all on board, of every rank, must be careful to respect his authority. Leave of absence in all cases is only to be granted by the commander or commanding officer for the time being, and the return day must be reported in a like manner; it being understood that in no case, when the ship is in a foreign port, are the chief and second officers to be absent from the ship at the same time, and that a junior officer is always to be on board.
If you want to read the books in full, I would gladly send you a copy of it. But I personally find most of your statements quite unfounded and even a bit misleading for potential newcomers. I would gladly supply more information if needed. I hope you can forgive my frustration.

Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for the White Star Line instructions. I’ve seen partial extracts of these before but without the ‘speed’ bits. Are not these instructions mutually inconsistent and contradictory in respect of speed and safety? And therefore clear but unclear?

Probably a discussion for another thread?

Cheers,
Julian

Thomas, thanks for your reply. I guess I just always assumed Smith was the first captain to get his own personal bathtub, and I always equated it with Smith perhaps being treated a little too indulgently. I always pictured him in the tub with a cigar and a glass of wine and things like that. I think it was also a big help that Smith looked exactly like a sea captain should look. The rest of the guys like Boxhall, Lowe etc and even Rostron could easily have been mistaken for accountants or solicitors, but EJ Smith really looked like a salty old mariner.

And if Smith had lived I think the American authorities would have charged him criminally and locked him up. They were out for blood and really mad that the president's pal Archie Butt drowned, so they had to get revenge on someone, and Smith would have been the perfect punching bag.

"they are expected to use every diligence to secure a speedy voyage."
Yet run no risk of accident.

I think it says that the commander is expected to have a speedy voyage, but in case they get into an accident, then they should expect to take the blame for placing their vessel at risk. It's really a no win situation.

Back