Edward Minahan

Hello just happened to see this site for thefirst time, I wanted to add a little of the deceased Edward Minahan. I live here in Green Bay Wisconsin and have many times visit the cemetary where Mr. Minahan is buried. It is a very sad chilling side note but his crypt over looks Riverside Dr. on high embankment and can be viewed easily from the road below, about 7 to 10 years ago a group of young vandals broke into the the crpyt and in some bizarre act of treasure hunting had stolen the skull of Mr Minahan. They were caught about a week later and the skull was returned. The news story rwan in the Green Bay Press Gazette if I am able to get an exact date or the actual news articles I will post them here. I realize that this may not be in good taste but none the less it is Titanic History.

Hello, Mr. Maedke, and welcome to the ET board! 'Hope to hear from you often.

Thank you for that information about the vandalism of Edward Minahan's crypt--sad and chilling, indeed. And you're quite right about the fact that this is part of the Titanic story and therefore worth examining, even if it's a bit gruesome. If you find the news story, please do share it with us.

Best regards,
Doug

One Thing I know about the minahans is that they actually boarded at Queenstown. In almost every book I have read, it says that 7 Second Class and 113 Third Class passengers boarded, but no First Class.

According to Lillian's biography, Dr Minahan was her 2nd husband: - "In 1903, while visiting friends in Wisconsin, Lillian met Dr William E. Minahan whom she later married, her first husband having died." - There is nothing in Dr Minahan's biography [or in Senan Molony's: The Irish Aboard Titanic], about him being previously married.

I found a record for a marriage between a William Minahan and an E. Mary Dignin. The marriage also took place in Wisconcin and had a daughter Maude. He is recorded as dying on the Titanic. I was just curious if this is a mistaken identity or not.

They gave it as 1893 in Jericho, Calumet, Wisconsin. It also said they were divorced but no year was given. They had a daughter Maud O. Minahan cir. 1896. There's no age given for Minahan.

Zachary,

Belatedly I have now had a look at Craig Stringer's: Titanic People, and yes it seems Minahan had previously married Mary Elizabeth Dignan and that they divorced. Mary later moved to NY City and took Maude with her.

That's what I thought too.

Thank you for sharing that. I had no idea that Dr. Minahan had a previous wife and daughter. I know that Daisy usually gets mistaken as his daughter.

She must have been only a student when her father died. I'm curious as to the relationship that Minahan had with his ex-wife and daughter. You'd think a trip to Ireland to visit family would be something that he would have taken Maude too.

Back