Edward Minahan

Does anyone know if Dr. William E. Minahan ever lived in Oshkosh, WI? I recently acquired a very old autograph book. It was originally owned by a school teacher in Casco, WI (near Green Bay), and the signatures are dated 1885 to 1899. One entry is dated 1899 and reads: "Compliments of W. E. Minihan, Oshkosh, 1899." Dr. William E. Miniahan from the Titanic disaster would have been 22 years old in 1899. Oshkosh, WI is just north of Fond du Lac, WI, which is where Dr. Minihan's practice was.

I live in Green Bay, and every year the local historical society puts on a cemetery walk called "If Tombstones Could Talk." Dr. Minihan is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in Green Bay and he and Daisy are always included in the cemetery walk, being portrayed by local actors.

Sounds to me like you've got the autograph of our Dr. Minahan, Jeanne, but I'll leave it to someone who's done more research to comment on whether or not he lived in Oshkosh.

Congrats on a great find!

I think you'll want to check his age, though. He's always been reported as being in his 40's when he died on the Titanic, which would make him older that 22 in 1899.

What an interesting walk! Daisy isn't buried at Woodlawn, is she? I thought she was buried in California, which is where she died. I know the topic was raised some time ago in a thread on passenger religions. It was mentioned (don't remember by who) that Daisy was buried in a very beautiful Catholic cemetery that, I thought, was in California.

On some rainy day, I want to hunt up more on the Minahans and, now, the Dignans.

The photo that Zachery was kind enough to post a link to didn't mention a married name for Mary Elizabeth or Elizabeth Mary subsequent to Minahan. I wonder what brought her to NYC? Dr. Minahan clearly did alright for himself but I wonder also just how rich his ex-wife could have been. His life was, according to the papers, heavily insured, but I assume it all went to Lillian. Though maybe not, if he had a daughter. But how cash rich could he have been?

If the Maude Minahan in the photo I posted a link to earlier is his daughter, than it seems (though not necessarily) that she was not only a Wesleyan student but a society girl as well, which would indicate (though not necessarily) that she and her mother were comfortably set up.

Thanks for the congats, Brian.

I have been able to confirm, through records at the library in Green Bay, that Dr. William E. Minahan did in fact live in Oshkosh, WI. In a book titled "Minahan - Early Green Bay History" it states that Dr. William E. Minahan lived and attended school in Oshkosh prior to going on to medical school in Illinois.

I am satisfied that I have the autograph of Dr. William E. Minahan who later met his fate on the Titanic and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in Green Bay.

The autograph book also contains the autograph of Dr. J. R. Minahan, and his entry is dated the same date as Dr. William E. Minahan, June, 1889. I believe this may be Dr. John R. Minahan, and he once practiced medicine in Casco, WI. The St. Norbert College stadium in De Pere (near Green Bay) was named after Dr. John R. Minahan.

Dr. John R. Minahan's older brother Dr. Robert E. Minahan (1858-1935) was also a mayor of Green Bay. He was a physician, surgeon and a lawyer.

"JOHN ROGER MINAHAN, b. New Holstein, Wis., graduated from Rush Medical College (M.D., 1889), and for two years practiced in Casco. In 1892 he moved to Green Bay, was joined by his brother (Robert Emmet Minahan 1858-1935) there in 1898, and the two doctors began to specialize increasingly in surgery. John R. Minahan was also chief surgeon for the Chicago and North Western R.R., the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul R.R., and for the Green Bay and Western R.R. He had numerous business and banking interests in the Green Bay area."

"The 3,100 capacity stadium was a gift of Dr. John R. Minahan of Green Bay, a noted physician and a close friend of St. Norbert College founder Abbot Bernard H. Pennings. Dr. Minahan's friendship with the Rev. Thomas G. Fox, O.Praem., the college's athletic director, and Dr. Minahan's interest in St. Norbert College sports prompted the gift.

Dedicated in 1937, the facility is one of only two lighted football fields in the Midwest Conference. The Green Knights traditionally play their first home game each fall under the lights."

The autogaph book I have was originally the property of John E. Cashman of Casco, WI, and he was a school teacher. There was a man named John Cashman that once ran for Wisconsin senator and lost. The original owner of the autograph book and the man who ran for office may both be the same John Cashman. I have not looked into this further, as I am so enthused about the William E. Minahan and John R. Minahan autographs.

Dr. William E. Minahan's sister, Daisy, continued to suffer from health problems after the Titanic disaster, and she moved to California. She died in 1919 and is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Whittier, CA near Los Angeles.

Am I missing something about Dr. William E. Minahan's age? He was born in April, 1867. He would have been 22 years old when he signed the autograph book in 1889 and 45 (almost) when the Titanic sank in 1912.

Your purchase sounds better and better. And that book about Green Bay history sounds interesting too. I've always been especially interested in the Minahans, I guess because they were unusual among the first class passengers in terms of their background and where they lived.

And his autograph was dated 1889? In your earlier post, you said it was 1899. That explains the confusion. Easy slip.

Hello Jeanne,

Welcome aboard. Congratulations on a wonderful find! It's a terrific feeling when one comes across a signature such as this, as I've been fortunate enough to experience it myself.

Absolutely terrific!

Thanks, Jason, for your welcome and congrats, and thank you, Brian for pointing out my error on the date of the autograph. For clarification, the autograph of William Edward Minahan that I have was from June 4, 1889.

I spent some more time today at the library and also at the Neville Public Museum in Green Bay. I was able to authenticate the signature as that of William Edward Minahan, as the museum has a copy of his signature in their records.

I am considering donating the autograph book to the Neville Public Museum, but I would like to know if William Edward Minahan's signature is of any monetary value. I have no idea where to obtain this type of information. Besides ebay, does anyone have any suggestions? Regardless of the value, donating the autograph book to the local museum seems the appropriate thing to do, so everyone can see it.

In 1998 the Bay Area Genealogical Society of Green Bay compiled a spiral bound book titled "MINAHAN, Early Green Bay Family." This book is in the History Department of the library downtown. It contains a lot of interesting details. Some of the information concerning William "Will" Edward Minahan, M.D. includes the following:

"Years before his death, a fortune teller had told Dr. Will he would die on his second trip to Europe. It was treated as a joke, but Dr. Will took out life insurance of $130,000 for the Titanic voyage."

"A friend, Col. John Jacob Astor, from Green Bay, was also on the Titanic. His body was also recovered."

"Will married Mary Elizabeth Digman in August, 1893. They divorced shortly after their daughter, Maude Olive, was born."

"Will married Lillian Thorpe February 3, 1903."

"Notes for Mary Elizabeth Dignan: Mary Elizabeth was a graduate of Oshkosh Normal (school) in Wisconsin and of Columbia University in New York. Following her graduation, she taught for 35 years in the New York City high schools. Mary was living in Green Bay, WI at the time of her death in 1952. She is buried in Allouez Catholic Cemetery in Green Bay."

"Notes for Maude Olive Minahan: Maude Olive was born October 15, 1894 and died March 26, 1961. Maude never married. She was living in New York City when her mother died. She is buried next to her mother in Allouez Catholic Cemetery in Green Bay."

"Notes for Lilliam Thorpe: Lillian was the second wife of William Edward Minahan, and she was a survivor on the S.S. Titanic disaster. She later moved to California and married again."

"In 1987, vandals shattered the Minahan mausoleum vault at Woodlawn Cemetery. They entered the crypt and tore off the front of the coffin, removing his skull, some teeth and a plaque. The vandals were later apprehended, and the skull was returned to the vault."

William Edward Minahan's mausoleum vault overlooks the Fox River from the bluff at the rear of the cemetery. There is now a heavy chain lock bolting the door of the vault. Riverside Drive runs between the back of the cemetery and the Fox River. I have driven past the Minahan vault many times, and you cannot help but notice it as you drive by. It is the only gravesite prominently positioned on the back bluff of the cemetery. I took a couple of photos that I will try to post here.

minahan_w.e._001_copy1.jpg

minahan_w.e._002.jpg

Thank you, Jeanne, for sharing that info and the beautiful photos. Sounds like Mary went to Columbia after her divorce. I didn't know Columbia took women back then (I probably never thought about it).

Your confirmation of his daughter's middle name strengthens the possibility that the photo I posted the link to is indeed a photo of Will's daughter. How many Maude Olive Minahans could there be? And I'll say again that she looks like him.

Still curious about the family finances, and the relationships between Maude, her father, and stepmother.

Regardless, one thing that's very striking about the Minahans is how accomplished they were as a family.

Brian - As my time permits, I will be doing some more in-depth reading of the spiral bound book, "MINAHAN, Early Green Bay Family." If I come across any further information regarding family finances, Dr. W. E. Minahan's daughter, Maude Olive, and her relationship with her father and step-mother, I will let you know.

What type of information are you interested in regarding family finances? The Minahans were a very accomplished family and I am sure in the highest tier of Green Bay society and financial status.

The photos you found are priceless! Maude Olive was a beautiful young woman and would have been 19 years old in her photo. I agree, the resemblance to Dr. William Edward Minahan is uncanny! And yes, how many Maude Olive Minahans can there be, let alone more than one sharing approximately the same age?

Maude Olive Minahan also bears a striking resemblance to Dr. Robert E. Minahan, older brother of Dr. John Roger Minahan and Dr. William Edward Minahan. Dr. Robert E. Minahan was the first in the family to become a physician, followed by Dr. John Roger Minahan, then Dr. William Edward Minahan. Dr. Robert E. Minahan was also a lawyer and Mayor of Green Bay, serving as Mayor 1904-1907. You can check out Dr. Robert E. Minahan's photo on this website:

http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/geninfo/mayors_past/mayor_minahan_o.html

Once a very prominent and influential family in Green Bay, there is no longer anyone named Minahan that I am aware of living in this area. I imagine they would be pleased to know they are remembered with great respect.

And some people think all we have here is a football team! (smile)

You're most welcome, Jeanne.

Those are terrific photos, thank you for sharing them; plus the information. I noticed that the photos are not in their respective biographies, so perhaps you might be interested in submitting them to the site. If so, just follow the links in their bios.

quote:

And some people think all we have here is a football team!

Well, perhaps this will change all that.
happy.gif

Sorry I didn't answer your question, Jeanne. I didn't log on all weekend. I guess when trying to get a sense of the life of anyone connected to the Titanic, how much cash they had matters. For me, it would answer a lot about how much freedom was enjoyed by Daisy, Lillian and Maude. I've always wondered what kind of home Daisy maintained, was she dependant on her brothers, how did she manage the move to California? I'm curious as the breadown of Will's will.

Thanks for posting that page on his brother! In spite of their success and obvious influence, I wonder about the position in Green Bay that the Minahans would have occupied. In many cities in 1912, being Irish, Catholic and of humble origins would have been a big strike against them. But cities that were newer and/or smaller weren't as particular.

My records: Lillian E. Thorpe, Born 2-7-1875 in Fort Wayne, IN. Died in 1962. Married William Edward Minahan on 2-3-1903 in Arkansas City, Kansas. Lillian had a total of 4 husbands: Edward Minahan, Paul Lawrence, Lee P. Kaull, an C. D. Danielson. Here is a newspaper article from The Daily Commonwealth newspaper in Fon du Lac, Wisconsin, on May 2, 1912. I am heavily researching Edward's brother, Dr. John R. Minahan. Any information is greatly appreciated!
<table border=1>[tr][td]
mime_msword.gif
Physician's Body Lying in Morgue
The Daily Commonwealth - Physician's Body Lying in Morgue.doc (21.0 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​

I have just found this Message Board and I find it most interesting. Dr. William Edward Minahan was the son of William Burke Minahan and Mary Shaughnessy (from Ireland). Mary Shaughnessy was the sister of my great-grandfather William Shaughnessy who came to Australia from where I am writing today.

I am a keen genealogist and the information posted seems to be very accurate. ( John Roger Minahan was born on 6 September 1862 and married Mary B Bertles in Green Bay in 1899.)

Very interesting discussion site. Many of you may know more about this aspect of my family than I do. Did you realize the Minahans would not have been on the Titanic if Daisy hadn't gotten appendicitis while in Europe. We have a letter where she explains the delay in their travel but that they would now have the opportunity to sail on this wonderful new ship...

I'll try to get this letter and some other relevant materials scanned and available.

Back