Fleet's personality

Good night everyone from Uruguay.

I am trying to find information about the personality that possessed the lookout Frederick Fleet as my interest in him has been increasing these days ago.

It has been said out there that he was a paranoid and other not good things I have to say, but was that true or just more fake rumors?.

I will be grateful from now on to anyone who can provide me with any information (if possible, with evidence).

Hello my love,

Here are perhaps a few helpful links:
Lookout Fleet's account at the American Senate inquiry:
Lookout Fleet's account at the British Board of Trade inquiry:
And the sad and tragic end of his life:

I hope this helps my love.

Your boyfriend,

Thomas

For a ship's lookout, one thing to say was that he was bad at judging distances and sizes. There were doubts about how good his eyesight was too.

For a ship's lookout, one thing to say was that he was bad at judging distances and sizes. There were doubts about how good his eyesight was too.
He continued to work as lookout on passenger liners for a number of years afterwards so the authorities must have been satisfied with the performance of his duties and his eyesight. Fred Fleet was not to blame for the Titanic's loss.

It's worth pointing out that mistakes judging distances and sizes were made by highly trained naval officers during both world wars.

As for Fleet, he was just a humble working man who got caught up in a nightmare situation.

He continued to work as lookout on passenger liners for a number of years afterwards so the authorities must have been satisfied with the performance of his duties and his eyesight. Fred Fleet was not to blame for the Titanic's loss.

It's worth pointing out that mistakes judging distances and sizes were made by highly trained naval officers during both world wars.

As for Fleet, he was just a humble working man who got caught up in a nightmare situation.
Fleet's response to questions such as 'How big was the iceberg when you first saw it?' and 'How far was the berg' was 'I can't say'. To me that's a serious shortcoming for a lookout.

Fleet's response to questions such as 'How big was the iceberg when you first saw it?' and 'How far was the berg' was 'I can't say'. To me that's a serious shortcoming for a lookout.
Checks on the lookouts (and deck officers) eyesight were tightened up after the loss of the Titanic.

Fred Fleet passed and continued to work as a lookout. I am unaware that he was involved in any other collisions.

To blame Fleet is like blaming Murdoch. Both were not to blame.

Last edited:
Fleet's response to questions such as 'How big was the iceberg when you first saw it?' and 'How far was the berg' was 'I can't say'.
Regarding the height of the iceberg he later told at the British Board of Trade inquiry that the iceberg was higher than the forecastle head (see question 17305 to question 17313 at the British inquiry). Earlier at the American Senate inquiry Fleet went into more detail:
Senator SMITH.
How large did it get to be, finally when it struck the ship?

Mr. FLEET.
When we were alongside, it was a little bit higher than the forecastle head.

Senator SMITH.
The forecastle head is how high above the water line?

Mr. FLEET.
Fifty feet, I should say.

Senator SMITH.
About 50 feet?

Mr. FLEET.
Yes.

Senator SMITH.
So that this black mass, when it finally struck the boat, turned out to be about 50 feet above the water?

Mr. FLEET.
About 50 or 60.

Senator SMITH.
Fifty or sixty feet above the water?

Mr. FLEET.
Yes.

Senator SMITH.
And when you first saw it it looked no larger than these two tables?

Mr. FLEET.
No, sir.

Hello my love,

Here are perhaps a few helpful links:
Lookout Fleet's account at the American Senate inquiry:
Lookout Fleet's account at the British Board of Trade inquiry:
And the sad and tragic end of his life:

I hope this helps my love.

Your boyfriend,

Thomas
Oh, thank you very much my love. I will take a look at them right now.

I don't think Fleet was treated fairly at the British Inquiry. He had been exposed to freezing temperatures for 1 hour 40 minutes as Titanic went 22 knots per hour.
I too consider the same. I don't understand why he was referred to as a paranoid or unreliable source.
In addition to what you mention we must take into account that it must not have been easy for him and he certainly must have been quite nervous, even though he was not at fault.

In his position I would have said the same. Keep in mind that I'm a trained lookout and in my rating group, (Supply) we were the ones getting stuck with the low visibility watches. It wasn't our job...and often as not...it wasn't even our place to judge distances.

Our FIRST job was to call let the bridge know that something was out there, where it was in relation to where we were, and in the way.

Everything else was a tertiary concern.

I too consider the same. I don't understand why he was referred to as a paranoid or unreliable source.

If you read his testimony, you can see where he got defensive, and for some very good cause. I can guarantee you that he was extremely aware of the possibility that he and Lee could get stuck with the blame.

Boards of Inquiry are nobody's friend. There are few sailors who don't understand this.

In his position I would have said the same. Keep in mind that I'm a trained lookout and in my rating group, (Supply) we were the ones getting stuck with the low visibility watches. It wasn't our job...and often as not...it wasn't even our place to judge distances.

Our FIRST job was to call let the bridge know that something was out there, where it was in relation to where we were, and in the way.

Everything else was a tertiary concern.
Wow! How interesting that you share your experiences as a lookout Mr. Standart.
It really helps to understand Fred Fleet.

Back