As a former member of the THS, I remember when the Society put up the headstone. I truly believe that Mr. Kamuda just wanted to let others know where Mr. Fleet was buried and to acknowledge his part in the Titanic story. Some may feel the stone is a bit over the top, but I feel it was a touching gesture. I also believe Mr. Kamuda had had some correspondence with Mr. Fleet and he felt a special effort was needed to recognize the man.

-Greg

Edward Kamuda used to send Frederick Fleet gifts and maybe some money. Fleet hanged himself from a clothes line and Ed heard about his death on the news. A few days later, Ed got a letter from Fleet, probably his last, saying he had nothing to live for, that his wife and all his peers had died. Ed was deeply moved by Fleet's death and wanted to mark his grave. Robert H. Gibbons

According to a talk given by a Southampton tour guide this morning in their 95th anniversary commemorations, Fleet's descendant weren't informed on the gravestone and didn't know about it. I'm not sure if they were disgusted (hopefully get some more info on this soon), but they said that Fleet was unassuming and didn't want, or give any publicity about his connection with the Titanic.

Paul

PS Yes, Fleet did have living relatives when he died and they visit his grave regularly.

>>That's interesting, Paul. Are they blood relatives, or relatives through his wife?>>

I would be interested in knowing as well. I have longed to find more detailed information out on Fleet's early and later life, as I know the basics but finding out the less known details has been much more difficult.

Back