Fleet's personality

Fleet's response to questions such as 'How big was the iceberg when you first saw it?' and 'How far was the berg' was 'I can't say'. To me that's a serious shortcoming for a lookout.

This type of responses were very common in the inquiries, though. Fleet wasn't the only one. I think they were just being as vague as possible. Reading through the officer and crew's responses, you'd wonder how they operated a ship as nobody knew anything!

I can understand why though, as their every action was being scrutinised, so they wouldn't want to be blamed. They weren't "lying" but only speaking of what they had a certainty of. Fleet couldn't have known accurately how big or how far the iceberg was, so his answers aren't incorrect, and this doesn't mean he was a bad lookout either. But if he had given a more specific answer, they could have blamed him for not seeing the iceberg earlier, etc. So it was best to say he didn't know.

Some examples of similar replies:

Senator NEWLANDS. Do you know whether it is customary for ships to slow down when they know that ice is in the vicinity, or do they keep on, relying upon their ability to steer clear?
Mr. MOORE. I think they go more to the southward when there is ice.
Senator NEWLANDS. How about slowing down?
Mr. MOORE. I could not answer as to that.

Senator SMITH. 21 or 22 knots?
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. Yes, sir.
Senator SMITH. Was that her maximum speed?
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. I do not know, sir. I could not say, sir.
Senator SMITH. But that was as fast as she went on the trial tests.
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. I do not know what her speed was on the trial trip.

Mr. LIGHTOLLER. Capt. Smith made a remark that if it was in a slight degree hazy there would be no doubt we should have to go very slowly.
Senator SMITH. Did you slow up?
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. That I do not know, sir.
Senator SMITH. You would have known if it had been done, would you not, during your watch?
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. Not necessarily so, sir.

Senator SMITH. Were there any lifeboats being lowered from the other side at the same time?
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. I do not know, sir.

Senator SMITH. How many people were put into this sixth boat?
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. Fifteen or perhaps 20. Between 15 and 20.
Senator SMITH. And two seamen?
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. I do not know what seamen -
Senator SMITH. Or one?
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. I think one seaman probably, if I had one seaman there. Perhaps it was two stewards. I do not know, sir.

Senator SMITH. Did I ask you how many women and children there were aboard ship?
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. You did, sir.
Senator SMITH. Did you reply?
Mr. LIGHTOLLER. I do not know

Senator SMITH. Who was the officer on the bridge?
Mr. BRIDE. I could not say, sir; I do not know the officers, sir.
Senator SMITH. Was it Mr. Lightoller?
Mr. BRIDE. I could not tell you.
Senator SMITH. You do not know whether it was the first or second officer?
Mr. BRIDE. I did not know any of the officers there; I did not know what watches they were keeping.

Senator SMITH. Were you with her when the training tests were made?
Mr. BOXHALL. Yes, sir.
Senator SMITH. Can you tell the committee of what those tests consisted?
Mr. BOXHALL. No, sir.

Senator SMITH. How many people will the collapsible boat carry?
Mr. BOXHALL. I could not say.
Senator SMITH. About how many?
Mr. BOXHALL. I do not know; I would not say; I would not like to form an opinion.

Senator SMITH. If this lookout had been increased on that night you would have known it?
Mr. BOXHALL. No; I do not know. I am not sure whether they were increased or not.

Senator SMITH. How far would that be from the front of the ship?
Mr. BOXHALL. I do not know.
Senator SMITH. About how far?
Mr. BOXHALL. I could not say in feet.
Senator SMITH. How far would it be from the eyes?
Mr. BOXHALL. I do not know. I could not say.
Senator SMITH. You could not describe that?
Mr. BOXHALL. No; you could measure it on the plans, though.
Senator SMITH. About how far?
Mr. BOXHALL. I could not say how many feet. I have no idea of the number of feet.

Senator SMITH. Did you have fire drill or other practice while you were at Southampton?
Mr. LOWE. We had it once, but I really forget where.
Senator SMITH. You had it once at Belfast, before leaving?
Mr. LOWE. I do not know, I do not know, sir. We had it somewhere or other.
Senator SMITH. You can not say whether it was at Belfast or at Southampton?
Mr. LOWE. No, sir; I can not remember.
Senator SMITH. Was it at one or the other of these places?
Mr. LOWE. I do not know certainly.

Senator SMITH. How many women did No. 3 contain?
Mr. LOWE. I do not know, sir; I can not say.
Senator SMITH. Do you know any of them?
Mr. LOWE. No, sir; I do not know any of them; not one
Senator SMITH. Or the number of men?
Mr. LOWE. I do not know, sir. I can not tell.
Senator SMITH. Any children in lifeboat No. 3?
Mr. LOWE. I do not know; I do not remember.
Senator SMITH. Do you know whether any of those men who filled lifeboat No. 3 were of the crew; or were they passengers?
Mr. LOWE. I can not say.

Fleet's response to questions such as 'How big was the iceberg when you first saw it?' and 'How far was the berg' was 'I can't say'. To me that's a serious shortcoming for a lookout.
In addition to what Mr. Standart has already written I would like to mention that Fleet had nothing as a reference when it came to estimating the size of the iceberg. It could have been a big iceberg far away, or maybe a small iceberg close up. The iceberg was not a known size. Fleet saw something that wasn't ocean ahead and he did his job by letting the OOW know.

Back