Girlfriend Kathleen Bex

thank you. And her sisters or brothers? had kathleens childrn, children?
According to this site, Kitty had two children with her husband. I don’t know if she had siblings or she was an only child. But during that period it was very common for families to have a lot of children. So it’s highly possible for her to have had brothers or sisters.

Hi Everyone
It's been many years since I last posted on ET, so this thread, which I have just spotted, has gone a little cold, but I thought I'd solve the mystery of the 'Jack FAQs' /Farncombe Lad booklets that Fini mentioned, because I was the author of both of them.

They were written to accompany Godalming Museum's Titanic Centenary exhibition in 2012. The 'Jack FAQs' leaflet was designed as a free hand out for school parties visiting the exhibition. It provided responses to commonly asked enquiries from the children about Phillips including questions about his family, his smoking habits and his love life!

The Museum runs a schools outreach programme and has very popular Titanic Loan boxes available for classes doing projects on Titanic to borrow which include reproduction Marconi Keys for students to use practice their Morse Code skills.

'A Farncombe Lad', a pocket sized biography which includes a fold out Jack Phillips walking tour of his home town, is still available at the Museum but unfortunately, the online shop is currently closed due a post-Covid shortage of staff and volunteers.

Thank you for your response. I love this little book. It’s well written and so informative about Jack’s life.

Thank you so much - that's very kind.

I am working on an extended and updated version, using additional research and information that has come to light since 2012. It's taking a while, but hopefully will be ready for publication before too long, so watch this space!

That’s amazing. I can’t wait. As a history buff , I love reading biographies of historical figures, especially of people who had a great impact in a historical event, like the sinking of Titanic. Jack Phillips was extremely heroic and altruistic during that night. This book will be focusing on his personal life too?
I’m asking that , because back in 1912, a lot of young women came forward as his girlfriends. So I’m just curious if these stories are true.

This book will be available only in The Godalming Museum or it’ll be on the Internet too?

I'm will try to cover all aspects of Jack's life and career in the book which, like 'Farncombe Lad', will be sold with all proceeds going to support the museum. (When I eventually finish writing it!)

Regarding his private life, I'm sure that most 25 year olds enjoy dating and have had more than one partner and Jack was no exception. However, his 'girlfriends' did not come forward in 1912 (remember, that was a different age with no tabloid newspapers or social media and different 'rules').

Most of the ladies who have been mentioned were identified via their family folklore and only in recent years. The story of Kitty Bex (later Mrs. Merritt), for example, came to light when a member of her family visited Godalming Museum's 85th anniversary exhibition in 1997 and shared it, and her picture, with the museum's curator and myself. The families of other ladies also contacted the museum and the British Titanic Society after the increased interest in the story following the release of James Cameron's Titanic movie. Indirect Phillips family relatives conducting their own research in the mid-1960s also identified some stories that I have since been able to corroborate. But all of these are really just a small part of a short but very interesting life which ended very bravely.

Thank you for the clarification on Jack’s private life. Well I wish you all the best and I hope that your book will be published soon and that’ll be a great success.

I’m looking forward to this book also! I recently visited Godalming from the United States and purchased the small booklet. Do you intend to sell the Jack Phillips book via major (international) retailers?

Back