Grand Staircase

I was wondering if there was any decoration on the base of the banister in the middle of the stairs on B-deck and C-deck. The same spot as the Cherub on A-deck and the Chandelier on
D-deck.

Also, did the stairs going down to E-deck look the same as the others, or were they plainer.

How did the stairs going down to the turkish bath on F-deck look?

Are there any photos of the forward grand staircase taken from B-deck, C-deck, E-deck or F-deck? As far as I can remember, I have only seen photos taken from Boat-deck, A-deck and D-deck.

I believe I heard somewhere (I think on another thread) that it has been speculated that there may have been a cherub on the banister of each landing. It could be wrong, but I know I heard this somewhere.

I'm going to go dig up an old thread on the E Deck landing that I remember. I'll post it here as soon as I find it.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

I love the grand staircase. As you know, I'm writing on a new Titanic novel, and I need help answering some questions.

1. Between which decks did the forward grand staircase go?

2. Which type of wood was it made out of?

3. Was the aft grand staircase smaller? And in what way?

From Sweden with love. ;)
[email protected]

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted as a separate thread in another topic has been moved to the pre-existing one addressing the same subject. JDT]

Hello everybody!
I was wondering if there was actually a painting in front of the forward staircase on A deck as shown in cameron's movie.
Could you help me please?

Best Regards,
Diego

Hi Diego,

There were large rectangular oil paintings on all the forward GSC landings A - E Decks.

The E Deck stairs narrow with regular square steps leading down to F Deck and the Turkish Baths and Squash Court.

Here is an illustration from "Ghosts of the Abyss"

[Moderator's note: Edited post to remove image, due to copyright issues. JDT]

Best Regards,

Brian

Hi Diego,

Now what you say makes more sense, I thought you meant the landings where the clock is on Boat Deck, as you can see there were paintings in place of the clock on all decks in the forward staircase.

As for the staircase lobbies themselves, the only solid reference I have ever seen to paintings in this area is the First Class Reception Room on D Deck, aside from that I believe all the lobbies just featured plain paneling.

Best Regards,

Brian

Brian

I know you put up the watermarks, the image however is still not yours to post.

As for the walls facing the staircases, they were not plain panels and except for D Deck, featured carvings and a clock.

Daniel.

>>so I added the watermarks.<<

I understand that. The question however is if you had permission from the copyright holder to use it. If not, then you could find yourself in some really hot water with Atilla the Lawyer. This area can be a real minefield so it pays to do things by ther numbers.

Back