Grand Staircase

Kris,

Electricity wasn't all that new. By 1912 it was the common type of lighting aboard liners. Lighting something between decks was easy enough, but the candelabra was actually on D Deck at the BOTTOM of the stairs, not on them. They weren't trying to show off as much as they were trying to show that Titanic was equal to any land establishment.

David

David and Nigel-

Thank you both for the clarification. I realise that electricity was generally used on ships, I was only thinking of the artistic manner in which it was presented. The molded (from what I gather from the only photo I have seen of the candelabra on the post landing on D) lightbulbs on that piece - and the "torch" held up by the/a cherub(s) was a lovely presentation that would have been impressive to many on board to whom were accustomed to gas-light, or very limited usage of electricity at home. Now, of course there was the design to make the ship resemble a hotel ambiance, I do not dispute that. I only was thinking of how the staircase's center finials were represented.

But I was only speculating... have no answers, only some ideas that I thought to share.

Yes! Merry Christmas!....It will be here before we know it!

Take care-
Kris

I thought that the staircase landing posts on the other decks might have been just flat, with nothing on it. Unless that is, we can discover something that proves that a cherub was indeed on the other landings.

There was only one cherub, I believe, and it was on the Grand Staircase. B and C Deck had nothing in the place of the cherub, and D Deck had an electric candelabra at the cherub's place.

God bless
Addison Hart

Back