Iceberg

The practice that occured in 1912 in regards to ice I am sure is different then that which is applied today. As for keeping the schedule. That is a lesson that can not be learned. In the modern world money drives all, if you are late, you are loosing money, if you sit at a pier waiting for something you are loosing money. Technically when a ship is offloading it is loosing money.

In regards to Smith...he did what masters do. If tomorrow I get in a accident in the St. Clair river while doing 12 knots. Other captains will testify at the hearing that everybody does it. Smith was indeed NOT reckless.

Keeping that in mind, there are instances that are reckless, there are captains that are reckless. Those tend to get weeded out pretty early.

My rather blunt post was in regards to this quote from Mark:

quote:

Some things are the way the way they are, but that doesn't mean we should blow off responsibility. That's a cop out!

My understanding of that is that by keeping the schedule and doing what the master thinks is right, is in the writters opinion wrong. It also implies (in my mind) that keeping schedule is neglecting the masters responsibility for the entire ship, crew, cargo etc, without due guard to safety, and that using the schedule to take calulated risks is a "cop out". There are examples of where a skipper has done that,I doubt highly that E.J. Smith would have taken the low road.

\quote {"Doing one's job" isn't a good enough excuse, nor does it justify such recklessness, especially when the preservation of lives is a part of the job for many mariners.}

The use of the work "such" implies to me that we are talking about an individual. This also states in my view that because a master is charged with lives instead of cargo that just "doing the job" which at times means safety gets a back seat is reckless. This has direct corralation to me, and E.J. Smith. Both of us have made decisions for the best interest of the company while safety a very close second. It implies that those who do it, are reckless. The difference between E.J. Smith and I (besides the obvious) is that his luck ran out, and mine hasn't....yet (knock on wood).

quote:

Examples such as Titanic go to show that "doing one's job" doesn't always pay off.

I couldn't agree more. But there in lies the problem. "Doing one's job" must be done, in order for a ship to sail, no it doesn't always pay off, but more often then not, it does.

quote:

It's a point where "doing ones job" creates more problems than not. It doesn't have to be that way.

This is where I get the lack of maritime knowledge from. It must be that way, or things don't get done. It isn't always that way mind you, but there are times where it must be that way. Ships are governed by money and nothing else. Having said that, there are companies out there (Interlake Steamship comes to mind) where company policy is in place that allows the master the leeway without reprisal to seek shelter if it is needed. The Lakes in general are good about that, of course that is because they are almost always in restricted waters, but you get the idea. On lakes the economics of shipping are considerably different then they are in salt. Shipyards are closer, fines in some cases are much much higher, etc.

To say that something shouldn't be a certain way, without the understanding of why it is that way and to state (in my opinion it was stated that way) it as fact is what prompted me to post what I did.

quote:

That's like saying that it's okay for a busdriver to go like a bat out of hell and then kills all the little children onboard, simply because the driver was behind schedule. To hell with the children - we have to stay on schedule!

This comparing apples to the 1943 World Series. There is no direct corrallation to the two. One (the bus driver) operates under completely different guidelines, and operates in a completely different setting. On land, normally safety comes first.

\quote {Destroying/losing your cargo (i.e. passengers) in an attempt to keep to your schedule is pointless.}

Again with the schedule. First, the amount of accident free shipping that goes on compared to the accidents is astounding. So the same practices used by 100's of countries and companies normally work...ok...and the economics show that the schedule is usually kept. That means sometimes safety get's a back seat sometimes. The fact remains that however "pointless" one thinks it might be is SOP for most shipping companies.

In a perfect world what Mark suggests would be the truth and what I say would be against it. But in reality it just isn't that way. Unless you get companies to stop liking money, or convince Unions to stop requiring overtime that is the way it will continue to be.​

>>(And there's a lot more where that came from. Ouch! My fingers are burning! . . . --R.)<<

Interesting and insightful stuff there, Roy. Ever consider doing an article of your own on this?

>>Ever consider doing an article of your own on this?

Yikes, that's flattering! - all the more so since I didn't pen the article! :)

Right now, Michael, other than my ongoing Harbeck project, I'm just on the lookout for things that interest me. I got into the whole Titanic research business rather late (1998) and I've got a lot of catching up to do. I've been messing around with this "weird 1912 weather" thing for a couple of years or so, since I found that no one else was paying much attention to it. Things like the Knapp article tie in really well. Lots of perspective.

Best wishes, sir!
Roy

Ernie Luck: "The importance of maintaining the schedules keeps rearing it's ugly head. I did read somewhere that the Irish ferry that sank a few years ago was due to maintaining the mail-run with insufficient attention being paid to the apalling weather conditions."

This would presumably be the Princess Victoria. The prevailing weather conditions would have been well within the seakeeping capacities of a standard pre-1950s cross-channel packet and presumably this was the operating philosophy which was being adhered to; however the Princess Victoria was built with a vehicle carrying capacity thus introducing an area (literally!) of vulnerability hitherto not previously encountered in such service. Cross-channel passage has been so constrained ever since.

Mark Robert Hopkins: "Destroying/losing your cargo (i.e. passengers) in an attempt to keep to your schedule is pointless."

Two examples of ship operators who believed it was better to arrive than to travel hopefully were Cunard and Alfred Holt & Co. (Blue Funnel Line).

Cunard, following I believe the policy of Samuel himself, preferred their vessels to operate within their inherent built capabilities rather than matching them against those of their competitors. In furtherance of this they throughout declined to acknowledge the existence of such incentives as the Hales Trophy and to my knowledge no Cunard vessel ever flaunted the Blue Ribband.

Alfred Holt & Co. directed their masters to follow designated tracks which gave them plenty of searoom round the land and took them well clear of traffic-heavy headlands.

It may be significant that both names are long gone from the liner trades!

Noel

Back