In the doghouse

From the Astor's Airedale, Kitty to Robert W. Daniel's french bulldog, Gamon de Pycombe. From Sun Yat Sen to Frou Frou.

From what I've read, heard, and seen there were several other passengers that brought their pets on board (and most, who lost them when the Titanic sank).

Only two survived the sinking...exactly how many animals were on the Titanic? Who were their owners? And what were their names?

KB, there were several chickens carried as cargo, and also a canary which was taken off at Cherbourg. I don't know the canary's name, but I think 'Lucky' would have been appropriate!

Hey Bob,

Thanx for the info. I thought for sure there were (at least) several more dogs...but I must be mistaken.

Lucky, the canary. Now I now how I named my cat!! Lol!

KB, I think there were more dogs. I was talking only about the cargo. I think in the book 'Ghosts of the Titanic' there is even an estimate of the number of rats onboard!

Bob

Hey KB

There was Jenny the Titanic's cat who had a litter of kittens a week before sailing.

There were also 9 dogs in all:
JJ Astor's Airedale, Kitty
Robert W. Daniel's french bulldog, Gamon de Pycombe.
William Carter had 2 dogs on board, one was an Airedale.
Harry Anderson's chow dog.
Mrs Dickinson Bishop's dog Frou-Frou, who stayed in her owners room the voyage, but was left behind.

Margaret Hays's Pomeranian, who escaped in boat 7
Elizabeth Rothschild escaped with her dog into boat 6
Henry Sleeper Harper's Pekinese, Sun Yat Sen, escaped in boat 3 with her owners

(Source: Eaton and Haas, Titanic A Journey Through Time, 1999, pg 234)

-Trent

Hi, Trent!

There is an interview (quoted elsewhere in the ET archive) which claims that the cat carried her kittens ashore and abandoned the Titanic before the ship commenced her maiden voyage.

Also, Mrs. Goldenberg thought that the Astors had two dogs on board; there may have been other canines that we don't know about.

All my best,

George

Hey George, how have you been?

It's good to know the cat made it off! It is true that there are always those unknowns as to absolute number's when it comes to the Titanic! Thanks for the info.

-Trent

Bob and Trent;

Thanx for the info. I have several books that each talk about the pets, with varying stories of their demise (or survival). I'll have to check out, both "Ghosts of the Titanic," and the ET archive.

Thanx again,

KB

The cat story I found says that the clever pussycat saved a human life. A stoker named Joe Mulholland was one of the 'runners' who brought Titanic down to Southampton. He stayed on board for a while, wondering whether to join the ship for the voyage to New York, or to join a tramp steamer, which would give him several month's work. As he looked over the side, he saw the cat take her kittens onto the wharf. He decided that the cat knew what was best. He grabbed his bag, found a tramp steamer and lived happily ever after. Years later, he told the tale to a notable Irish Times reporter named Paddy Scott. Guinness is good for you!

Good question. Eaton and Haas place them on F Deck just across the passageway from the 3rd Class Galley, but this is a highly debatable proposition for obvious health and sanitation concerns. Unfiortunately, nobody really knows for sure.

Hi, David!

The 'alternate' (and IMO most realistic) location for the Titanic's kennels is thought to be behind #4 funnel. There are several threads here on ET that discuss this matter in detail.

All my best,

George

Back