The Dogs on Board

Somewhere I have read that the kennels were situated near the ship's butcher. In fact-it may have been a Haas-Eaton statement? Anybody remember?
Proud Owner of wirefox terrier, Titanic
Kitty Astor II

Hi, Shelley!

>Somewhere I have read that the kennels were >situated near the ship's butcher. In fact-it may
>have been a Haas-Eaton statement? Anybody >remember?

Eaton and Haas said ("T:DD," page 24) that the kennels were near the third class galley on F deck; however, they also claimed that Mr. Astor opened the kennels before the ship sank (which AFAIK is something that no survivor ever claimed to have seen.)

Several board members have told us of Titanic deck plans which place the kennels on the boat deck. That being the case, I hope E&H will provide us with solid documentation for their claim that the kennels were on F deck (and that the kennels were not moved to the boat deck sometime after their source material was printed.) Many of us would also be interested in seeing eyewitness documentation for their claim that Mr. Astor opened the kennels.

All my best,

George

Hmmm- the info must be out there somewhere. I would love to have the answer. Am trying to imagine a big dog like an Airedale finding it's own way up to the boatdeck. It would seem to make sense that if the dogs were walked and "aired" regularly, the boatdeck location is a plausible explanation. Noise and smell would be a factor. But it would also be handy to have the butcher nearby to throw the scraps of beef to the poochies. Wasn't the last funnel on Normandie a kennel? I believe her sweeping open deck also boasted a fire hydrant for the pampered pups. Ok- we're going to the dogs now!

Back