Is this common photo really Lightoller?

It's Charles. However I know what you mean, he looks different. Charles was an amazing Father and his family are, how shall I put this, well bred! The Lightholler family were aristocratic and I see this side of Charles in this photo. We lived with his neice in Hampstead for many years and I'm familiar with this particular photo. I certainly understand why you have doubts and in terms of height it would depend on shoes and hats! It doesn't matter if you don't believe it's Charles, I'm sure everyone has their own views and that's perfectly acceptable. For me personally there's no doubt whatsoever that this is a photo of Charles. I see the family resemblance absolutely. Kathleen was aristocratic, strong and extremely wealthy and had an air about her, the whole family were the same. I've also met Lady Louise Patten at Kathleen's funeral back in 1998. Kathleen was fed up of people thinking that they knew more about Charles than she did!! If you don't believe this is a photo of Charles you have every right to be of that opinion. Kind regards from Susan
Hi Susan. Im not sure if you will ever see this message however i was told that i was related to charles. On the great great great great side. My papa was Richard Lightoller. (how it was spelt lightowler). Can you help me at all - its something thats been on my mind for years. I cant track back. I believe my papa was born in stockton-on-tees

I do wonder why he looks so different than usual in this photo, yet more "like himself" in the other photos taken in the same time frame as the British inquiry. Thanks again!

Kate - I recently discovered that this photograph was taken when Lightoller and Pitman arrived in Liverpool May 11th, 1912 aboard the Adriatic. I need to correct this information on my website. It may go some way to explaining why he is looks somewhat different from the other photographs taken of him at the Inquiry.

BTW Kylie - I have replied to your message.

Hi Susan. Im not sure if you will ever see this message however i was told that i was related to charles. On the great great great great side. My papa was Richard Lightoller. (how it was spelt lightowler). Can you help me at all - its something thats been on my mind for years. I cant track back. I believe my papa was born in stockton-on-tees

Hello, I did reply to your message but I'm not sure if you have viewed it. The best way to track your family tree is by ancestry. Kathleen was brought up in Aylesbury if that helps. Her Mother was a Lightholler. I'm not sure what else to suggest however I've looked at the Lightholler ancestry to pass on information and there's lots of information and it's not difficult to find. I just hope this helps, kind regards from Susan.

Back