Memorials left on the wreck

I was just wondering if a comprehensive list of the different plaques and memorials that have been left on the wreck over the years. To my knowledge, the first one was left by Robert Ballard in 1986 on behalf of the THS. The most recent one was left by a BBC Northern Ireland journalist this summer on behalf of the people of Belfast.

The TV footage of that plaque being laid showed several others already there. I was just wondering who they would all be from?

I'm not aware of any such list. It seems that just about anybody who goes down there leaves a plaque of some kind but nobody has bothered to track all of them. It might make an interesting research project for somebody.

Stuart
Below is an extract from my book 'Titanic Memorials World-wide - Where They Are Located' ISBN 1 871733057 (23rd reprint)I dont claim that it is a comprehensive listing but it contains all the ones that I have been notified or found out about.
Best regards
Brian J. Ticehurst Southampton UK.

Atlantic Ocean. The wreck of the RMS Titanic is the most important memorial to all those souls who lost their lives in the disaster and should be preserved as it is as a permanent memorial to those people.
On October 29th 1985 at a Hearing before the Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries House of Representatives - reference H. R. 3272 - October 29, 1985 Serial No. 99-21 the Titanic Memorial Act was placed before the House. Unfortunately as the wreck is in International Waters the Act has little teeth but it is a start and we hope that other Governments can build on it.
Doctor Robert Ballard, who after discovering the Titanic in 1985, and on the completion of the next year's (1987) dives, placed a memorial tablet on the Titanic on behalf of all the people who 'Remember the Titanic' approximate position Lat 410 43.5'N, 490 57'W on July 4th 1986.
also in 1986 a plaque was placed by Dr. Robert Ballard from the Titanic Historical Society.
also this plaque subsequently ''disappeared'' from its position on the bow of the Titanic. Doctor Robert Ballard revisited the Titanic in June 2004 and replaced the plaque with an exact replica - this time he placed it on the actual ocean bed by the bow of the vessel.
also the Explorers Club placed a plaque on the wreck in 1986.
also in 1987 Brigitte Renaldi placed a bouquet of plastic red and white roses with miniature flags of France and the United States on the wreck.
also in 1991 on the completion of the IMAX Film Titanic expedition two plaques were placed on the wreck, one from the Oceanic Navigation Research Society and the other from the Russians as a tribute to their American friend the late Frank Busby.
also in 1999 plaques were placed on the wreck. One for the Canadian Titanic Society by Ralph Lewis, the other on behalf of Carol Long a passenger on the Keldysh.
also on August 19th 2000 The Irish Times reported: "An Irish diver has succeeded in his attempt to place a memorial plaque on behalf of the Irish people on the wreck of the Titanic, 2 1/2 miles beneath the Atlantic's surface. The plaque was commissioned by Cobh and Harbour Chamber of Commerce and its tourism committee. It reads: "Commemorating all those lost on RMS Titanic. From the people of Cobh (Queenstown) and Ireland.
also in 2001, July 29th a plaque was placed by Mr. Steve Rigby on behalf of the British Titanic Society - see the Atlantic Daily Bulletin 3/2001 and 4/2001. The plaque reads:
In Memoriam April 15th 1912 Laid on Behalf of the Officers and Members of the British Titanic Society.
also in 2001, July 29th a plaque was placed by Mr. Steve Rigby on behalf of the Communication Workers Unions - see the Atlantic Daily Bulletin 3/2001 and 4/2001. The plaque reads: This Plaque Marks the Communication Workers Union's Respect for the Five Postal Workers who Died on Duty on this Ship and Reflects the Universal Comradeship and Enduring Loyalty of Postal Workers Throughout the World.
also in August 2005, a plaque was laid on behalf of Harland & Wolf and the people of Belfast, the plaque reads:
"In memory of all those who lost their lives on RMS Titanic
From Harland & Wolff and the People of Belfast"
Atlantic Ocean. Position Lat. 410 16" north and Long 500 14", which is roughly where the Titanic sank. The ashes of Mr. Frank Goldsmith were scattered here in 1982.
also the ashes of Joseph Boxhall were scattered here in 1967.
also the ashes of Mrs. Ruth Becker Blanchard were scattered here in 1990.

Back