Millvina has passed away

>>Someone did <that> That's disgusting!<<

Yep. Somebody did that. As the late Ann Landers once pointed out, there is nothing so low that somebody somewhere won't try it. I think that aside from Millvina's stated wishes, this is one of the reasons why the family wants to keep the funeral private.

Funerals are for the sake of family and close friends. A final opportunity for some fond rememberances and goodbyes. The last thing they need, or should even have to deal with, are perfect strangers crashing the gates and carrying on in assinine and boorish fashion.

In confirmation of my earlier post I submit the following from the Southern Daily Echo Thursday June 11 2009.
Family Announcements page.

DEAN
ELIZA
GLADYS
MILLVINA
Peacefully at her Nursing Home on May 31st 2009
She will be sadly missed by all her family and relatives in England and Canada.
In accordance with Millvina's wishes the Cremation Service will be private for family members only and her ashes will be scattered at sea at a later date.
Family Flowers only.
Donations if desired to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

May she Rest in Peace

Hello, the latest news about Millvina Dean's funeral:

THE HYMN so closely associated with the dangers of being at sea will be sung at the Southampton funeral of Millvina Dean, the last survivor of the sinking of Titanic.

Tributes and messages of condolence have been pouring in from around the world ever since the news of Millvina’s death at the age of 97 at a nursing home near Southampton was announced last week.

Relatives have chosen what has become known as the sailor’s hymn, Eternal Father Strong to Save, with its famous words: “For those in peril on the sea’’ to be part of the private service held at Southampton Crematorium next Tuesday.

The Irish writer, Don Mullen, who was a friend of Millvina said: “She was one of the most beautiful human beings that I ever met.

“Her secret for a happy life was a sense of humour and a kind heart and that’s what you experienced when you met Millvina.’’

From the United States, Charles Haas, president of the American based, Titanic International Society, recalled that Millvina was always ready to talk to children about Titanic.

Mr Haas said: “She had a soft spot for children. On one occasion I remember watching as little children came over to her clutching pieces of paper for her to sign. She was very good with them, very warm.’’ Millvina was just nine weeks old, the youngest passenger on board Titanic, when the liner struck the iceberg on its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York in 1912.

Although her father was drowned, she survived, together with her mother and brother, after being lowered over the side of the ship in a sack.

For many years Millvina led a quiet life in Southampton but this all changed when the wreck of Titanic was discovered.

Millvina said: “Nobody knew about me and Titanic, to be honest, nobody took any interest, so I took no interest either.

But then they found the wreck and after that they found me.’’

LINK TO THE HYMN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KCiMdR1ox0

In addition, Brian Ticehurst has just advised that Millvina's ashes will be scattered at sea.

"The ship has it's full complement again after 97 years". Regards.

R.I.P. Millvina
149867.jpg

This is very sad as I met Millvina Dean (the only Titanic survivor that I was fortunate enough to meet) in Springfield, MA, USA in April 1998 at my first Titanic convention (Titanic Historical Society) and we wrote to each other a few times. She was a class lady and since she died in her sleep, may not know yet that she has died. There have always been in my lifetime Titanic survivors
and now there are none still alive. 'Tis sad but we must move on. The 100th anniversary will be here (and gone) before we know it. I hope that some consortium is able to build a Titanic II as part of the celebration.

Millvina Dean was also the honorary president of the British Titanic Society and travelled the world (while she was in good health) to talk about the TITANIC. We have ALL lost a friend and she shall long be remembered by Titanic buffs around the world. You have finally been called home and there will be no more falls or pain in your future. You have now joined the rest of your family. Smooth seas, Millvina!

>>I think the paper may have held the announcement until it was too late for unwanted spectators to arrive.<<

That's one way to keep the gate crashers out, and also mighty decent of The Daily Echo to hold back on the story until it became impossible any such to make use of the information.

I still can't believe Millvina's gone. She was such a dear friend. I once said to her, 'If I'd met you back in the 1930s I think we'd have been great mates.' 'But we are!' she replied warmly.

I'd certainly like to think so.

quote:

I once said to her, 'If I'd met you back in the 1930s I think we'd have been great mates.' 'But we are!' she replied warmly.

And that sums up why those of us who were fortunate to have met her have such great feelings for her, and fondest remembrances.

"Good night, Great Lady".

"Rest in Peace, Millvina"​

Back