Significance of the time on the Straus cabin clock

Since it's an electric clock, now there's a dilema-did it fail locally from saltwater shorting or did it shut off when deprived of power from an overall circuit failure? Either way, I would imagine the time frame is close together.

When we stayed at Hotel Queen Mary at Long Beach, California several years ago there was a clock fastened to the dresser but it was not operative.
(Hotel Room A129, which appeared to be former stateroom A85.)

" ELECTRIC CLOCKS
...Consisting of 600 units...The system is controlled by two electrically-wound master chronometers mounted in a bulkhead panel in the chartroom...Each chronometer carries a contact-maker (giving a contact of 0.3 second duration), which in turn operates a master relay with double contacts....A refinement of the switching is that when a clock is cut out of the circuit, an equivalent resistance is introduced , thus ensuring a balanced circuit....have been provided by Messrs. J.H. Tucker & Co., Ltd., of Tyseley, Birmingham."
-"Queen Mary...Souvenir Number of the Shipbuilder and Marine Engine-Builder, June, 1936", Page 186

Would the system of clocks in the staterooms on Titanic have been of similar nature...maybe even the same manufacturer as on Queen Mary ?

I had assumed that possibly a pulse was sent out each minute from the master clock which advanced the slave clocks ? (The clock in our room did not have a second hand.)

Mark,

The ROVs that can penetrate that far inside the wreck do not have the capability to retrieve objects. They are so neutrally buoyant that if a rusticle falls on top of them, they are pinned to the deck. So, yes, the clock is still there. However, there are fantastic things that a forensic photo lab can do with the imagery. In this instance, the lab can separate the "clock face" from the muck-obscured "glass." It's an amazing process.

Sam,

The Straus clock is a benchmark. One among a few that we have gathered. It will be interesting to see what these benchmarks tell us about the timelines to which we have become accustomed.

Will,

Take a look at the system, the way it works, and what would cause a failure. That's what I am still grappling with.

Robert,

Check out the copy of the original 1911 Electrician article on my website. Bill Sauder has done research into similar systems and he is contributing his findings to the research.

Parks

Parks, when I read in your clipping that there was no outside or battery power involved and then looked at the photo it was obvious that this had to involve magnetically generating a voltage impulse at the master and having the slaves follow it. Otherwise where's the energy coming from? A quick Google brought up this site which 3/4’s of the way down, just above Fig 24 mentions “Special and anecdotal systems of construction” The description there seems to pretty clearly understand Magneta. There is a mention of Britain using Mr. Hipp’s variation but that is an battery/external power clock and so I think the description here is probably correct for the marine version.

The essence is that a separate hand wound spring (drum in the right center of the Electrician photo?) is allowed to flick a permanent magnet in a coil armature (at the left?) once a minute and that generates an impulse of electricity to send out on the wires. The receiving electro magnets in the slave end clocks simply increment the gear works to move the hands forward one step per pulse. Figure 6 is a different mechanism but illustrates a layout suitable for accomplishing a Magneta receiver in the confines of a mantle clock.

Over at this site, “Gents Marine Master Clock Ref No: w1221” has pictures of an advance/r~~~~~ mechanism. It gives me the impression that you dial in the adjustment and leave the clock to progressively insert or omit impulses over a period of time until the adjustment is complete (on r~~~~~ just stop for 47 minutes or let it give some hint of the progress?). This might be a sufficient approach for the Magneta. In the preceding stories on the first site it is mentioned that the polarity of the impulses alternates to prevent some problems, this occurs with contact bouncing in external power systems. In our case I note that this could also enable the slave to be directionally sensitive so that the hands could be backed up on the westward trip and thus be reset fairly quickly.

Now as far as the Strauss’s clock stopping here’s some points that can be weighed up:
-I kept the electric wound/escapement paced clock in my car working for 37 years. It mainly needed cleaning and a bit of 3 in 1 oil but it did eventually wear the bearings right out of the frame (I collected a few spare mechanisms at the wreckers). Now my point is that it was the escapement wheel that was the lowest powered part and the most easily stopped. I suspect that simply the drag of being immersed in water might stop it.

On the Titanic:
-because the master clock’s timing and impulse systems were both spring powered they would have continued until maybe water or certainly destruction stopped them. Being intended for ship board use I would expect the escapement to be rather rugged. The voltages involved would not have been at all bothered by water on the wires or terminals.
-the stopping of the master stops the impulses to the slaves and immediately stops any further counting even if the slaves are still available.
-but unless the slaves have something exceptionally delicate about them, they probably would have continued underwater for hours or days if the impulses continued. Could stoppage have been when the springs ran out just over a day from their previous winding, perhaps leaving us with 2:04PM ? Okay, not likely, sinking might have pushed in the casing glass on the master and made enough of a mess to stop it.

So sorry, but in all I think this suggests that the stopping of the clock system is not going to be a very accurate measure of the night’s events at all.

But that clock was sure an exciting sight on the TV.

Bill

Bill,

I have my own sources that insist that each slave of the system will immediately (within 1 minute) fail if submerged. That information will be described when the research is published. There are other indicators in the system that I am not prepared to reveal at this time.

Thank you for your interest and own research into this question. My answer will take into account your comments.

Parks

Parks,
I couldn't see it going on beyond a minute neither.
I look forward to later reading your research surrounding the clock amongst the other things you’re also working on.
I actually a week ago looked at the possible flooding rate of certain rooms using H/W builder’s plans. How many open portholes there was, I don't know.
One thing that struck me was how hard it would have been to negotiate the stairs given the estimated angle the ship had after 1.40am.

quote:

However, there are fantastic things that a forensic photo lab can do with the imagery. In this instance, the lab can separate the "clock face" from the muck-obscured "glass." It's an amazing process.

Parks -

and I'm betting that this process is or will be involved in the development of your research. ;)

The photos that will serve to support and enhance your findings ought to be spectacular!​

Mark,

I am hoping that any assertion made in "my" (I use the term "my" loosely because even though I am coordinating this particular effort, there are other entities involved...I rarely do anything solely by myself nowadays) is supported by either physical evidence or logic that has been vetted against the available evidence.

It's going to be a year or more before this research will be completed. It may even be longer if we have to return to the wreck for more information. I would rather be thorough than quick. I do appreciate the comments, because it helps to ensure that we consider all permeations.

Parks

Steve,

The intact glass dome on the clock tells us that the interior of the clock equalised before a pressure differential could form. The open porthole (of the C-deck style) nearby would indicate that the room flooded as soon as the waterline rose to its level. The overall condition of the immediate surroundings indicates that the flooding was quick, but not violent, in that sheltered corner of the room. Lastly, this particular clock was of a primarily ornamental design, as opposed to more functional designs used in other areas of the ship. All of this could be deduced from the footage released in LMoT. Anything more depends on research that builds upon Cameron's discovery.

To all,

I do want to emphasise at this point that the time of 2:04 is not yet a conclusion...it is only one hypothesis based upon my own interpretation of the available evidence. There are conflicting interpretations regarding the minute hand and we don't yet know where the hour hand is pointing. Please don't talk of 2:04 as though it should be considered as fact or even a serious assertion.

Parks

Thanks for the reply Parks, I look forward to what other info you have found for us. Even at this stage you’ve provoked my understanding of the system to far ahead of where it was.

Bill

Curious neither the explored Ismay nor Cardeza suite fireplaces had clocks on their mantles-
This may seem a rather trivial question- but do we know which 1st class cabins were likely to have clocks on the fireplace mantles?

Were the clocks screwed down, or did they simple sit where they were? The Strauss clock does seem a bit off center...

For me the interesting question is just how many slave clocks where there on board, and where was each of them located? The lack of winding holes on the face of the Strauss clock in my opinion is not convincing evidence that it was a slave clock in the master/slave network. I understand that many ornamental wind-up clocks of the era were wound from the back, not the front.

Sam, some period clocks had flip-top lids and the winding device / key was inside.
In my opinion is was not a 'slave' clock. It may have been, but I have serious doubts.

I can't see why a slave clock would be in a passenger's stateroom. The public areas, yes, certainly anything to do with navigation and other operational facilities, but not the passenger cabins.

Mike-

quote:

I can't see why a slave clock would be in a passenger's stateroom.

Simple: to insure that time throughout the ship was consistent for everyone, especially with regards to time-sensitive issues like scheduling, meals, church services (in the saloons?). Although I am not saying that these were slave clocks, I won't dismiss the idea because I can see reason for it.

The same idea can be applied to the bulkhead doors below. They had a switch up on the bridge that closed them all [simultaneously?], but each one [might have] had its own operating mechanism. True, the universal controls on the bridge served as a back-up, but the same could be said for the slave clocks as well, so that no clock slowed or stopped.

Just my input, but I have a feeling that you'll come back and explain to me why that isn't so, hehe. Just teasing.​

Back