Strangest Titanic stories and/or theories?

I didn't bother reading all about it, but the craziest "theory" that I know says that the whole disaster was a fiendish scheme to eliminate J J Astor and other millionaires. It was all to do with something involving the banks and the US government. J P Morgan was also to go, but he spoiled the plan by not sailing. The Jesuits were involved, which is why Francis Browne was told to leave the ship. Google and ye shall find.

There are plenty of other good ones, especially from a cat box liner called Weekly World News. In one tale, Captain Smith was found alive in the Atlantic in 1993. He then aged rapidly and died, before Lord Mersey could be conjured up to question him. WWN still exists online.

Last edited:
I'm still a fan of the swap-the-ships story, even though the logistics of such a stunt appear overwhelming.

As for the kill-the-millionaires plot Dave Gittens mentioned, that has more credibility with me. My version of it has Morgan as the mastermind. It is true that his International Mercantile Marine owned White Star, Harland & Wolff, and the firm that owned Californian. Ismay was also the president of IMM, I understand. Astor, Guggenheim, Strauss and others opposed Morgan's idea of forming a central U.S. Bank - the Federal Exchange. The idea had lost steam in Congress by 1912, but then Titanic took most of the opposition's leadership with her. Morgan was booked for the voyage, but skipped at the last minute - and even told a friend or two to stay away. The U.S. government then established the Federal Reserve Bank in 1913.

The little work of fiction I am working on includes both of these theories, which actually mesh well together. Any others I can learn about will be cheerfully added. It is, after all, a work of fiction.

International Mercantile Marine owned White Star, Harland & Wolff,
IMM did not own Harland & Wolff.
Strauss and others opposed Morgan's idea
Straus, not Strauss.
Morgan was booked for the voyage, but skipped at the last minute
The evidence does not support this; see the link below.
and even told a friend or two to stay away.
Who and what evidence is there of this?

Oops! I mistakenly hit "Post" and the original version of this message was incomplete. Sorry.

Last edited:
The little work of fiction I am working on includes both of these theories, which actually mesh well together. Any others I can learn about will be cheerfully added. It is, after all, a work of fiction.
you're working on a book!?

Moderator's note: Edited to account for my blunder. MAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, thank you for setting me straight on several points. You do read all manner of things on the internet, and that's why I joined ET - to sort through fact and fiction. I am discovering that the mythology surrounding Titanic is far wider and deeper than first thought. Will use the term "alleged" more in the future.

Do facts support the story that Morgan was seen in Europe with his mistress, at the time of the sinking? From your post (and the link to a prior thread) it appears he did not book a stateroom, then plead illness.

Bo

I didn't bother reading all about it, but the craziest "theory" that I know says that the whole disaster was a fiendish scheme to eliminate J J Astor and other millionaires. It was all to do with something involving the banks and the US government. J P Morgan was also to go, but he spoiled the plan by not sailing. The Jesuits were involved, which is why Francis Browne was told to leave the ship. Google and ye shall find.

There are plenty of other good ones, especially from a cat box liner called Weekly World News. In one tale, Captain Smith was found alive in the Atlantic in 1993. He then aged rapidly and died, before Lord Mersey could be conjured up to question him. WWN still exists online.
That has been one of my favorites. The theory was that to make sure the income taxed passed and to give power to the federal reserve they had to eliminate the millionaires who were blocking it. The conspiracy part of Titanic was totally made up but somewhat entertaining...might make a good movie. But the whole Jeckle Island conspiracy does have some legitimate concerns because of the way the legislation was passed. It was pretty dirty IMHO. Some including some legitimate historians say the way it was done was illegal.

Back