The engines...what colour?!

Hello everyone...this might seem a daft question, but I was curious about what colour the engine castings were likely to have been painted? You see similar surviving steam engines and they are often painted colours like gloss dark or light green, with a lot of red parts- hopefully you know the sort of thing I mean. Does anyone know what colour the engines were likely to be on the Olympic class?

The engine columns were painted a color called ""light mast". The cylinders were painted a gray color called "steel". These specifications are from the Britannic Specification Book. Here is Ken Marschall's interpretation.
Engine colors2.jpg

Thanks for the reply Bob! It never occurred to me to look at Ken's cutaway, and I've never seen the Britannic book that you mention (though I'd love to!)

So is 'Light Mast' a reasonably known shade, or is it another White Star Buff?!

The engine columns were painted a color called ""light mast". The cylinders were painted a gray color called "steel". These specifications are from the Britannic Specification Book. Here is Ken Marschall's interpretation.View attachment 45145
Looking at the Britannic engine I have a question. It would appear two large steam pipes are different to the one large steam pipe as used on Titanic. Is this an improved modification?

Hello everyone! I have decided I would like to recreate Titanic's engines in a 3-dimensional software (not an easy task) called Blender, that some of you may have heard of. It will not be as detailed and will be a lower-poly model. Anyway, does anyone know the hex code of the color known as "light mast"? For example, white has the hex color code of #FFFFFF and black has a hex color code of #000000. Thanks!

Hello everyone...this might seem a daft question, but I was curious about what colour the engine castings were likely to have been painted? You see similar surviving steam engines and they are often painted colours like gloss dark or light green, with a lot of red parts- hopefully you know the sort of thing I mean. Does anyone know what colour the engines were likely to be on the Olympic class?
my engines were black

Back