The Future of Nomadic

I have recently learned that Nomadic has been on keel blocks for 14 years. Christian Pearce, another member, has related how they if they did flood the dock, she could sink, due to rust and the watertight compartments not being watertight anymore.

I think they could repair the hull, and then flood the drydock, and that could be where Nomadic could float. Put a little bridge from the Drydock edge to Nomadic's deck. Then, they (the Belfast people) could carry out Welfare checks on the ships interior, every nook and cranny, every week. Maintenance could be carried out every two- four weeks. More often when they first flood the drydock, I say. them just unflood the drydock, and do what they need to do. Flood it back up when they're done.

Thoughts? Ideas? I think the last White Star Line ship should be preserved. One of the last ships Thomas Andrews designed, as well.

Last edited:
'ullo.

I'm that dude Cam Houseman is talking about.

The watertight compartments have been cut wide open to make her accessible to the public. This is including wheelchair accessibility that involves an elevator that has been installed where the funnel used to be.

I was made aware of a few weak spots that wouldn't hold if she were to be in the water. Keep in mind she was transported by barge from Le Harve to Belfast when they purchased her back in 2006, partially for this reason. If I recall correctly, the reason the Nomadic Preservation Society was able to purchase her at all was because she had been deemed unseaworthy some time before 2006.

I will say there is a substantial amount of original fixtures in and on her, so that must be accounted for. My fantasy is to have the sagging hull be addressed as well, which will likely be the largest investment.

No idea. What I do know is that would require bringing in experts to consult, which already puts you above the documentation and efforts already in place. I doubt the bulkheads would be made watertight again because that would be excluding the people who require accessibility. The weak spots span a plate or two at a time and aren't everywhere, so they can be addressed by replacing the plates in question.

The hull, however, is sagging to such a degree as to be plainly visible. If you're up on the deck, look down the sides. If you're inside, you can see the floors bending under the pressure as well. This is across the length of the ship too. I wonder if the sagging would further allow water into the ship.

Belfast has some of the best historians and architects. If only they cared/knew about the last White Star Liner. But they would need to hurry, from what I'm getting from your post.
Couldn't they have watertight doors like Titanic?

Oh make no mistake, there's an abundance of people who care. It's just hard to justify from a business perspective, I gather.

As far as watertight doors go, they're not particularly friendly to travel through as a fully-abled person (I've experienced a few of this vintage) and the crew on the ship is occupied with the guests already. They wouldn't have the resources at hand to aid people as necessary through the ship. As for providing more crew for this purpose, it would get costly quick and I doubt the higher-ups would be on board with that. While it has always been my opinion there should be more staff on hand anyways, and I am interested in the preservation of historically-accurate situations and artifacts, I can sympathize with the public who wish to experience things unobstructed.

Back