The Silverthornes

Hi Doug, I haven't been able to post as much as I would like to myself. For some reason, I missed reading one of your earlier posts dated in June 2003 and you say you could send a photo of the Silverthorne home. Can you still send me a copy? I sure would appreciate it.

Coming back from convention I stopped by at Hartsdale, N.Y. to see Mr. Silverthorne and Renee Harris' crypts at Ferncliff Cemetery. Ferncliff is an amazing place with many mausolea and acres of shrines and gardens. Mr. Silverthorne is located in the beautiful Deco-esque main mausoleum, on the first floor just up a few aisles on the right from the chapel, in a private alcove, near Jerome Kern. There are magnificent windows by Tiffany, and miles of colored marble walls and floors and continuously piped-in classical music. There is a bronze gate which opens upon his alcove enclosure and a banquette to sit upon while visiting.
96747.jpg

96748.jpg

Distant relatives (English) living in the County of Devon,England,would like to contact any descendants of Spencer with a view to discussing family tree.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same passenger. MAB]

As a distant relative of the late Spencer V Silverthorn living in Devon, U.K., I am compiling a family history and would appreciate hearing more about Spencer and his family. To date I am able to trace direct descendants back to 1783. John Silverthorn.

John, I'm sure you know this, but in case you don't - the maiden name of the notorious Alice de Janze was Silverthorne. The movie White Mischief, in which she was portrayed, was mentioned earlier this week on a thread about the Carters. There is a lot of info about her on the web, and another good source is the online archive at www.nytimes.com. It's free for the years before WWI, so you can easily access the coverage of her various marital travails and the legal troubles (can't remember if she actually stood trial) that followed her shooting her lover, Raymond de Trafford, whom she later married.

Hi John Silverthorn do have any trace of the antecedents of Daniel Silverthorne going back to the 1850.He was the father of Spencer Victor Silverthorne,Titanic survivor.I am working on the family history,my full name is Sidney WILLIAM SILVERTHORNE Maxted located in ESSEX ENGLAND.Regards.

THOMAS SILVERTHORN married Rose ????
children
CHARLES SILVERTHORN bapt 13/6/1783 @ Brewham; died 4/12/1867
Ann bapt 12/1/1778 @ Brewham

CHARLES married Jane (Jean) Warren @ Brewham and had eight children, one of which was
ELIJAH SILVERTHORN (6/12/1810)who married Anna Sanford. They had ?7 children including
DANIEL SILVERTHORN (Spencer's father) 6/6/1839 - 12/4/1928

Another of Elijah's sons was Jehu (John) who was my grandfather.

My father married Spencer Silverthorne's daughter Elizabeth (Betty) in the 1960s and she showed us some of her father's scrapbooks of clippings about the Titanic. Unfortunately she is no longer alive and neither are her two daughters. Her grandsons may now have the scrapbooks.

Back