The Squash Court

Hi Lester,

You're welcome. Thank you for that information.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for that. Yes I can also see what you mean for D and E-decks; but with C-deck being open was it at deck level? How was it covered so that the air could escape without it allowing rain in? I am guessing because it is marked L&A that it was the same as the other L&A vents near the Engine Casings. This will teach me to look at several sets of plans, not just one set.
Lester

The strange square object in the ceiling is indeed a light and air passage. The reason it is not seen on C Deck is because it is covered with two mushroom vents on the well deck.
Cheers,
Clifton

I was just looking at a promotional advert for titanic in a book, clearly for 1st class passengers, they are the only ones whose dinning room is full and it clearly shows the valet and maid dinning room. Anyway, the squash courts have a fancy balcony type thing looking into them (I could imagine Lincoln being shot in it). Was there a balcony like that, or was it artistic license (having played squash I assume it was, but who knows with the Edwardians)? Was it more like the picture above? Asuming it was a window as above, was it a big window, were there chairs to sit on etc or just a functional corridor? Is the above drawing a good impression of the titanics squash court or is it just one of the day. Was it a small window (looking at the plans there were stairs in the way on F deck for it to be a full window).

Lots of questions there.

Richard,

Yes, there was a viewing balcony, on F Deck immediately aft of the squash court. To get access to the court on G Deck you had to go through this viewing area and then down some stairs to G Deck.

Hope this helps.

There are reports that at midnight the Mail Room (which was one deck below the Squash Court, more or less on the same location) was starting to fill with water. So I would assume that it would take at least 20 minutes more to flood the Squash Court (this is merely my assumption).

Back