Titanic Honor and Glory

Rebuilding Titanic: Part 3 - Woes of a Millennial Titaniac

By Kyle Hudak​

Ancient Times​

The landscape of Titanic research and gaming today is one of relative abundance. There are countless websites and blogs full of interesting and often high-resolution photos. Numerous Facebook groups and forums full to the brim with imagery. Entire Discord servers for the sharing and discussion of research and reference material. Museums, libraries, and archives all over the world are increasingly putting their collections online, with high-resolution images either free to access, or free to preview, or purchasable for a price. And, of course, so many books that are available both digitally and with the click of a button from Amazon. Then there's the power of computer hardware, with GPUs now seemingly competing over how many atoms they can simulate and software like Unreal Engine 5 doing away with the limitations that used to shackle game developers.

1.jpgMy meager Titanic collection as of March 2012. Just 3 years prior, it was even smaller.

If you’re a Gen-Zer making ship models in [current year], you may not have much appreciation for just how much more difficult it was for us old folks (Millennials) to make our little Titanics back in the day. I see so many young people now building incredible renditions of Titanic in many mediums, with the benefit of so much information at their fingertips. The average Roblox builder probably has far more reference material at their disposal than Matt did when he started modeling Titanic in 2006 and when I started in 2009.

In the 90s and early 2000s, there were a host of websites dedicated to Titanic largely run by the "old guard" of the Titanic world. A lot of the popular Titanic historian names you hear of today were at least somewhat online back then, either active in the early Titanic forums or with their own websites. A particular favorite site of mine was the late Roy Mengot's Titanic Wreck Model site. Roy's site was a feast of cool information sprinkled with low-resolution photos of an absolutely fascinating wreck model and a touch of 90s Dot Com garishness. Back then, if you wanted to see the wreck in any clarity, this was probably one of your best bets.

1.jpgRoy Mengot's Titanic wreck model page, which still somewhat exists in archived form. Mengot was a wreck researcher whose major contribution was the bottom-up breakup theory, which is probably one of the most popular theories today. Mengot passed away in 2015.

Another major institution for online Titaniacs was the Titanic Research and Modeling Association, or TRMA. It was a great general resource for those looking to learn about Titanic, but its best feature was its forums. Over many years, countless Titanic enthusiasts, modelers, researchers and historians posted and engaged in threads dedicated to practically all aspects of these ships. If you spent enough time there, you probably would have happened across many awesome things that would have otherwise remained hidden. Even I posted there back in 2008 to show off my 1/350 Titanic build. Sadly, TRMA went the way of many of those old sites and is now relegated to the graveyard that is the Wayback Machine and other archives.

1.pngThe TRMA was a leading resource for Titanic modelers. While there are many more groups and resources today, its loss was still a major blow to the Titanic community.

In my earlier scale-modeling days, I spent hours browsing these pages. I referred to Mengot’s wreck model images when attempting my own cardboard wreck model. I had a yellow "Nye Labs'' binder full of printed pages from the various Titanic pages including Encyclopedia Titanica, another major repository and forum of Titanic information that's still thriving today. Those prints mostly weren't of much use, but I liked to have them for reference or for when I wanted to feel like some kind of big Titanic expert. I still have that binder, probably now a record of web pages that vanished long ago.

1.jpgMy Nye Labs binder full of old printouts. It's mostly pages from Roy Mengot's old site, probably printed sometime around 1999-2000. Some are marked as copyrighted in 1997.

Pixels and Dots​

If the development of Adventure Out of Time is any indication, it was indeed possible to find somewhat better material online in the 1990s and 2000s (though that material may have also been subject to technological limits), but it was still extremely difficult for the average person to find that stuff. It got easier over the years as more things went online and search engines improved, but you were still lucky if you could find a Titanic or Olympic photo with pixel dimensions bigger than three figures.

1.jpg

1.jpgTwo examples of the typical images you'd find online one or two decades ago. The first was a 300-pixel cropping of some furniture in a stateroom. The high-res image we got in 2018 gives a whole new view of the details. The second was a low-res copy of an electrical panel. The high-res image is clear enough to read the labels for the switches. This level of clarity was often difficult, if not impossible, to find for most images that were easily available to the typical Titaniac. Most images in my early digital archives were 1k pixels and under, with only some getting near 2k and even fewer over 2k. Now, you can simply order many of these photos or view them for free at fairly high resolution online.

And if you wanted plans, you were out of luck. Bruce Beveridge’s General Arrangement plans were available early on, in paper form, for a price. Various other plans were so under-detailed or such low quality that they could easily be ignored. Iron plans were extremely hard to come by, usually hidden in private collections or buried and lost in various archives. The plans that were digitized in those earlier years by various organizations were of poor quality even at higher resolutions. Even today, many of the iron plans we have are only in black and white with a “crunchy” and extremely burned-out appearance, making them difficult to read. It was only in the last decade and a half that some of these plans were digitized in much higher quality. Some plans could only be found in old copies of books like the special Titanic/Olympic volume of The Shipbuilder which features amazingly detailed plans of the engine and boiler rooms.

1.jpgNo, your internet hasn't reverted to dial-up, nor has your monitor suddenly switched to VGA. This is just what we had to work with in terms of iron plans up until around 2020. Tantalizing, tiny, limited, low-resolution croppings of pieces of some plans - here all from Dr. Hahn's site. Without these plans, it was impossible to model the ship to the level we're doing now.

There were also plans created by researchers like Dr. Robert Hahn and Dr. Robert Read, both printed to-scale and useful in different ways for modelers, and both with their pros and cons. They also cost quite a lot and were only provided in printed form on very large sheets. It was only in the last couple of years that Dr. Read began offering his plans in digital PDF form AND for free.

1.jpgMe with my copies of Dr. Read's Titanic CAD Plans in September 2012. They can now be found in PDF form for free, generously provided by Dr. Read. I had based my earlier Lost In the Darkness and THG hull model on these plans, which turned out to be something of a mistake due to the fact that I had to work with paper copies and other issues.

Beyond the internet, books were still your best bet for good Titanic reference material. Even then, what you'd get was pretty limited and usually at a quality determined by the size of the dots making up the printed pages. Even 2008’s Titanic: The Ship Magnificent, with its many photos and even some iron plan samples, was of limited quality and use beyond a certain point. The most useful book, at least for me, was Peter Davies-Garner’s ‘RMS Titanic: A Modelmaker’s Manual’ from 2005. It was full of plans for many parts of the ship’s exterior and was printed with excellent clarity. But even with that, there was only so much info you could glean from the material.

1.jpgYes, you could get books for their photos, but it didn't do much good due to the way they were usually printed. While these are actually two different photos from slightly different angles, the one scanned from a book (left) and the one scanned from a photo print (right) show the incredible difference between sources. Only seeing the book version, you would have never seen what the docking bridge buzzer looked like, or that it was even there.

And so, when some of us on the THG team began modeling Titanic and during the early years of our projects, we were still firmly planted in this "dark age" of Titanic information. If you wanted to have more than a few scraps of mostly low-quality reference material, you needed to be REALLY good at searching the internet, know who to call or who to email, needed a lot of money, needed plane tickets to travel to some overseas archive, or you simply needed to have friends in high places - usually established historians. And then there was the other side of this very annoying coin: Technology.

We're Gonna Need A Bigger GPU​

1.jpgMy work area back in the day, probably around 2013-2014. I know, it's the height of tech.

When Adventure Out of Time was produced, it’s safe to say personal computers had profound limitations. The first 3D games were released in the 1990s, but even by the 1990s there was no way to properly simulate something as complicated as an Edwardian ocean liner in the kind of detail we seek. CyberFlix had to resort to pre-rendered still images for the incredible detail they needed, as did most other game developers using photo-realistic environments.

The 2000s weren’t a whole lot better. Games were getting increasingly 3D and more detailed, but they look pretty bad by today’s standards. Polygon counts and texture sizes reigned supreme, and you could forget about trying to recreate an entire ship. Though that didn’t stop some people from trying, such as the aforementioned Half-Life Titanic mod or the Mafia Titanic Mod, albeit with huge limitations on detail. Most attempts simply did not get far at all.

1.jpgEarly models made for THG and its predecessor were made with the idea of using as few polygons as possible. This was compounded by the fact that a lot of details just couldn't be made out in the low-resolution photos that were readily available to us back then. The result was blocky models with little detail, models that can be found dotted around Demo 401 now. Our relative lack of modeling skills back then didn't help.

Even by the late 2000s and early 2010s, as games got increasingly realistic and game engines got more powerful alongside CPUs and GPUs, you had to be careful where you spent your details, and you had better not forget those LODs. Poorly-optimized models could mean the death of a project or the need to go back to the drawing board, and there were still huge limitations with rendering lighting in real-time. Yes, there were more and more games with fantastic graphics AND great performance, but this still came at the cost of unrelenting optimization; judicious use of repeating assets, careful consideration for poly counts and texture sizes, and game worlds practically built around the limits of the tech.

Even on a personal level, it would have been difficult to deal with anything even remotely resembling Titanic: Honor and Glory as it stands today. It wasn’t until later in the 2000s that my family got DSL internet in the house. Until then, we were using dial-up. You plugged your PC into the phone outlet via a modem, the modem would make horrifying sounds, and you’d get connected with the incredible ability to download a 256-pixel-wide image in about ten minutes. That is, until someone decided they needed to make a call. In the early days of THG, one of our team often quickly reached the end of his rural internet data plan and would practically have to vanish for the rest of the month. It wasn’t until 2017 that our house finally got cable internet. Yes, there were absolutely faster speeds possible even back then, but it took a while for us poors to catch up. Fiber wasn’t even installed in my area until 2022-2023. There was also the simple reality of data storage and file sizes.

1.jpgYou would have needed around 160 of these things to store Demo 401. True, it would easily fit on the drives we were using in the late 2000s and early 2010s, but we would have needed to do some spring cleaning to make it fit.

In the days before digital distribution really took off, and before more people had faster internet, you really had to check yourself. This was not as much of an issue due to the fact that computer tech and game engines in general were enough to keep files sizes low, but it was an issue on the production side and for the sharing of information among the team. Making models takes up space. Reference material takes up space. This in turn limits what you can store, send, or buy. My main research folder for THG is over 1 TeraByte. An earlier archive of THG work was over 150 GigaBytes, while a newer one is nearly 350 GB. Demo 401 comes out to 40 GB while its raw project file is much, much larger. A single scan from my recent digitization runs well over 300 MegaBytes while the processed versions are still over 100 MB. A single Maya save file for the structural model is already at 1 GigaByte, and that will only get bigger. And, of course, games today are seemingly in a race to take up more and more of your drive space, with some of the biggest games reaching hundreds of GigaBytes. Thankfully, the abundance and cheapness of high-capacity drives and the ability to download stuff at incredible speeds makes all of this much easier nowadays.

All of this is to say: If you’re one of the many Gen-Z people working on Titanic projects now, be thankful for when you were born. Yes, you may have been born into a world that’s getting more chaotic by the week and subjected to a constant blast of all the worst information imaginable, but at least you have nearly endless options when it comes to recreating all of your favorite ships. You’re light-years ahead of where we were in the late 2000s and early 2010s, and it can only get better from here. That said, there are still limits. Many archives are still somewhat difficult or even impossible to access. We ourselves are unable to share our collections freely due to a whole host of reasons, including copyrights and the wishes of collectors who lent us material. And while the latest tech might allow practically unlimited detail, not everybody is building their recreations with that tech - there's only so much you can do in Minecraft or Roblox.

But despite all of the limitations of the time, it was in 2007 that a particular game entered the market, a game that pushed the boundaries of late-2000s hardware, a game that looked real even by today’s standards, a game that caused people everywhere to ask “can it run Crysis?”

End of Part 3...

Titanic Sailing At Sunset | 1 Hour Ambience Animation | No Mid-Roll Ads

Animation by: Jack Gibson
Model by: Kyle Hudak

Titanic Sailing At Sunset | 1 Hour Ambience Animation | No Mid-Roll Ads​

Quick Kyle (And Derek) Update

Posted by Kyle and Derek ont the official Titanic Honor and Glory Patreon linked in the title.

More Organizing​

A little while back I finally finished all the scanning and processing of that photographic archive we recently acquired. Unfortunately I pulled a Kyle and snowballed. I have been wanting for some time to take the material we have and organize it in a much better way. Not the more granular object archive we've been working on (and which we experienced a bit of a hitch over as well), but the actual source material.
I've tried multiple times over the years to organize it, but something would always come up and I'd have to stop. Now there's more stuff than ever to get in order. So for the last few weeks I've been getting our references in order. It's no easy task, either! I've had to go through hundreds and hundreds of folders and sort things into other folders, then sift those into yet more folders.
All in all there are some 33,000+ files needing organized. Among those are many duplicates that need to be culled, mainly lower quality versions of images. I'm still very deep in this process, but I think it takes priority over everything else - If we want to get things done quicker in the long run, we need to be able to actually FIND what we need to do the work, and make sure others joining our team and use it, too. This organization of the source material will also help build the object archive more quickly.
I don't know how much longer it'll be - hopefully not too much longer - but after years of failing to get it done, I have to do this. And I'm pretty much the only one with the time and ability to do it.

"Rebuilding Titanic" Series​

I almost forgot to mention! As you may have seen, I was posting what is essentially the "story of THG" in parts, intended to stretch from the early days of amateur Titanic projects to the present day of THG and even the future. It's supposed to focus primarily on the process of recreating the ship, but will also cover the project more generally.
That's been on pause for a few weeks, in part because I've been busy elsewhere, but mainly because I had reached out to one of the former ORM crew from the Lost in the Darkness days for more info about that early project and had been waiting for that. Now that I have what I need, I can get back to posting more of the THG story, so look out for that soon.

Demo 401​

Speaking of things taking a long time, I do believe we're very near the light at the end of the tunnel. It's been over a year now since the 2.0 version of Demo 401 was released, and I know that's caused concern about the time this update's taken.
In addition to numerous bug fixes, Derek has been very thoroughly trying to optimize things as best he can on the backend of the demo. There have been many lighting bakes, rebakes, and more rebakes. And all the while Derek's also been working on getting the base of Project 401 ready, cleaning up the massive messes I left him with when I shoved Megademo together some years ago.
And in classic THG style, there have been many setbacks - Multiple engine updates necessitating further fixes and outright halting work for weeks while others brought engine plugins up-to-date, various issues that would lead to lighting having to be rebuilt, the busy season for Derek over December, and a whole month or so recently when Derek's new CPU AND brand new monitor decided to just quit working. Sometimes it feels like these things only happen to us.
Despite all that, I have it on good authority that we are getting close, so I've bugged Derek for a little update to give you all...

Demo 401 Update from Derek​

"Hello Everyone! Derek here,
It's been a while since I've given any update. Although a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes, it is mostly not visual, so I haven't had much to share.
That being said, the work on Demo401 V2.1 is still ongoing, and we are getting really close. The last few weeks have primarily been spent working on fixes for the issue of lightmap pop-in. That has been resolved as of a couple days ago, and another QA build has gone out and the solution has been tested to be working well.
We've gone through a number of Q/A cycles which have identified a number of issues which have subsequently been fixed. There are a few more issues that have been tricky to diagnose and work is still ongoing. Overall, things are in a good state right now, with only some minor bug fixes yet to complete.
On another note, Some excellent progress has been made on the programming side for P401 over the past few months. Myself, Andy, and Tyler have been hard at work implementing James' vision for the gameplay. We can't wait to show it off more in the future."

More to Come​

Aside from all that, a certain person on our team who shares a name with a certain Titanic film character has been a busy bee. We might have something to share on that soon, VERY soon, sooner than you think. So stay tuned for further updates on here and other other pages!"

Derek's lighting in 1st Class Dining Saloon for Demo401 V2.1.

Update by THG's media manager Jack Gibson​

in full​

"Hello Everyone, Jack here!

It's incredible to finally be able to speak to you all today about this after almost 9 months sitting on this but today we've finally been able to reveal our newest and greatest Real Time Sinking coming next month in April!

As many of you will know I animated and helped produce a new Real Time Sinking last year and at the time I was very proud of it. It featured a totally new and analyzed Sinking Animation, based upon the research by Samuel Halpern, and was done inside Unreal Engine 5 for the first time. I had only been with Titanic: Honor and Glory for just shy of 2 months when I began work on it in February 2023 and my skills inside Unreal Engine were subpar to say the least. The water lacked proper reflections, the lighting engine we used was still the same used in the lesser Unreal Engine 4 and it overall lacked the detail and graphical fidelity we strive for at THG and so in June of 2023 we as a team officially decided we were going to make a brand new Real Time Sinking for 2024.

The amazing Liam Sharpe took the Exterior "Dollhouse" Model and modified it to be able to break into many more sections during the splitting of the ship, and I took the funnels and rigged them with skeletons to allow them to bend and morph as they collapsed. I also up-detailed the exterior slightly with some 3D windows in areas and Nico Murgia created some beautiful curtains to go behind the windows to add that little extra depth to the ship The Animation Progressed throughout the year visually and in November of 2023 I began animating the sinking properly and in January of 2024 I began adding our newly modeled figurines and particle effects to the animation.

This all led to February of this year where I began to render and edit the animation after our team reviewed the sinking animation. The research paper we based this animation off was done by the incredible Samuel Halpern and you can read that paper for free at the link below. The 2023 Real Time Sinking was an honor to create and I did touch me emotionally but this new 2024 Real Time Sinking has been truly something indescribable.

I've loved Titanic since I was 8 years old when I first watched James Cameron's 1997 Movie and his updated 2012 Sinking Animation and I had always felt somewhat attached to Titanic but during the course of production on this new animation it has truly been an eye-opening experience. I can't really put it into words but I don't think I've ever felt this attached to Titanic before and it fills me with so much pride and joy to be able to keep this grand ship, her story and her passengers alive in our hearts 112 Years Later.

After the 2023 Animation Released I vowed I'd never animate the sinking of Titanic again since these things are never easy to make but it was the fan reaction that truly made me want to do this. So many people have reached out asking if we'd ever make another one and the love the 2023 Animation received was more than enough for me to want to create this brand new (and hopefully last for a long time) animation of the Sinking.

It's been an emotional experience to say the least and I won't lie in saying I've gone to bed a few times in tears after researching this sinking and animating the ship. You begin to understand just a fraction of what those 2208 souls went through that night when making something like this and I hope we can all come together on April 14th, 2024 to commemorate their lives and remember the Titanic for not only the ship but also the people who endured it's sinking.

We hope to see you all on April 14th at 9:30pm ET.

Thank You All!
Jack"​

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2024-03-15-18h41m04s162.jpg
    vlcsnap-2024-03-15-18h41m04s162.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 25
  • vlcsnap-2024-03-15-18h40m20s477.jpg
    vlcsnap-2024-03-15-18h40m20s477.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 25
  • vlcsnap-2024-03-15-18h39m49s469.jpg
    vlcsnap-2024-03-15-18h39m49s469.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 29
  • vlcsnap-2024-03-15-18h39m02s693.jpg
    vlcsnap-2024-03-15-18h39m02s693.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 30
  • vlcsnap-2024-03-15-18h34m16s356.jpg
    vlcsnap-2024-03-15-18h34m16s356.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

The Titanic Month presented by Titanic Honor and Glory Patreon and Facebook Page​

For this one I posted from their Patreon, but it can still be viewed on TITANIC: HONOR AND GLORY's Facebook page as it's a pblic announcement for the start of Titanic Month. Also, I won't be able to post all of these from my end. I have exams from 13th till 24th of next month so apologises if I'm silent. I hope this calendar that the team just posted will be helpful.

Presenting... A MONTH TO REMEMBER

"31 days of Titanic events, announcements, documentaries, animations, lectures and livestreams brought to you by TITANIC: HONOR AND GLORY and our partners RMS TITANIC, INC. and OCEANLINER DESIGNS!

Join us all month long as we celebrate this great ship and the memories of her passengers and crew - 112 years since the infamous maiden voyage.

NOTICE: The livestream on April 20th is for Patrons only! See you there!"

Full Month (3).jpg

"Welcome to “A MONTH TO REMEMBER.” 31 days of Titanic animations, announcements, documentaries, lectures and livestreams brought to you by TITANIC: HONOR AND GLORY and our partners.

To kick off the month, we begin where Titanic once began...

Titanic was comprised of many thousands of steel structural elements, but all of that rested upon a keel which had to be built before everything else. The very first pieces of the keel that had to be laid down in the Arrol Gantry were the keel bars, long slabs of steel some 9.5x3 inches thick that formed the very bottom and center of the ship.

And so, 115 years ago today, the first piece of the keel was laid for Harland & Wolff’s 401st ship on a cold slipway in Belfast. Humble beginnings for a 46,000-ton ship that will one day captivate the world.

Join us all month long for everything Titanic including our first ever Real-Time live IN-PERSON event. For the full month schedule, visit Presenting... A MONTH TO REMEMBER | Titanic: Honor and Glory"​

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 24
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 28

A MONTH TO REMEMBER - 2ND APRIL​

"112 years ago today, Titanic underwent several hours of sea trials - or “turning circles” as 2nd Officer Charles Lightoller so plainly described them. This important series of maneuvers was meant to prove her seaworthiness to the British Board of Trade and was required by law.
After a successful day of trials, Titanic departed Belfast, Ireland (with just one fare-paying passenger) for an overnight journey to Southampton, England where final preparations for her maiden voyage would be made."

Titanic's Sea Trials | Animated 112 Years Later​

Last edited:

"112 years ago tonight, Titanic arrived at Berth 44 in Southampton, England where she would stay for 6 days before her maiden departure.

Over the course of the week, she would be further fitted out with extra furnishings, fresh paint and even ivy for the walls of the Cafe Parisien.

Join us all month long for new Titanic animations, announcements and livestreams including our first ever Real-Time LIVE EVENT. For the full schedule, visit Presenting... A MONTH TO REMEMBER | Titanic: Honor and Glory"​

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 18
"112 years ago today, Titanic was dressed in her signal flags to greet the people of Southampton on her first day in port. This occasion is often assumed to be a celebration of Good Friday but has since been confirmed as taking place on Thursday, April the 4th.
Join us tomorrow for our next major event in our A MONTH TO REMEMBER! For a look at the full schedule, visit https://www.patreon.com/posts/presenting-month-101308623"

Source:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 16

TITANIC NEWS...​

"For more information on this announcement and a look at our newest update to the TITANIC: PROJECT 401 Demo, join us for our livestream TOMORROW at 4:01pm ET - Only on YouTube @TitanicHG"​

1712335063098.jpg

This post #824 will have it's follow up #825 which will contain the evolution of the team's real time sinking animations from the first (2016) and the newest (2024).​

1712566432588.jpg

The next bit is already posted by the team.

NOTICE:​

"We are proud to announce our special guests joining us in Orlando for our SOLD OUT Real-Time LIVE EVENT!​
  • DAVID GALLO - Oceanographer, Explorer & Titanic Expedition Co-Leader and​
  • RORY GOLDEN - Founder of Flagship Diving + Marine, Historian, and 3-time diver to Titanic​
We can’t wait to talk to these experts about their work, the upcoming Titanic expedition and, of course, the sinking itself.
You can join this event LIVE on YouTube @TitanicHG, including our Pre and Post-Sinking discussions with Kyle Hudak, Jack Gibson, David Nonini, Liam Sharpe, and Mike Brady.
Whether you join for this event or the many other wonderful anniversary traditions out there, this April promises to be a special one.
Join us throughout our MONTH TO REMEMBER for more special events! View the full schedule here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/presenting-month-101308623"​

Back