Titanic Honor and Glory

Did we end up proving the Mainmast had an oil lamp? I had usually heard she didn't carry oil lamps, but if she did, it's a better way to reconcile the majority seeing the lights go out and a few saying they didn't than the Emergency lights hypothesis that had been persisting for a few years.

On second viewing, I actually can spot some emergency lights (though they’re far and few between).

Two new updates. One for Project401 that's this week.
1713287851389.jpg

And another for the main T:HG.
1713287907635.jpg

Did we end up proving the Mainmast had an oil lamp? I had usually heard she didn't carry oil lamps, but if she did, it's a better way to reconcile the majority seeing the lights go out and a few saying they didn't than the Emergency lights hypothesis that had been persisting for a few years.
The mainmast was equipped with an electric light which stayed on as long as the red and green sidelights and the stern light remained on. They would have been powered by the emergency dynamo circuit. There was no oil lamp on the mainmast. Titanic's lights were seen by two eyewitnesses on the SS Californian until 2:05am Californian time (2:17am Titanic time) when it disappeared.

I'd assume, but correct me if I'm wrong, when both the forward section and bridge went under the binnacle lamp on the foremast went out as the electrical system in that section was completely underwater.

I'd assume, but correct me if I'm wrong, when both the forward section and bridge went under the binnacle lamp on the foremast went out as the electrical system in that section was completely underwater.
There was no binnacle on the foremast. There was a compass binnacle in the wheelhouse and on the navigation bridge by the steering wheels.. But binnacles used oil lights because electrical lights, especially with DC current lines, could affect a magnetic compass.

The mainmast was equipped with an electric light which stayed on as long as the red and green sidelights and the stern light remained on. They would have been powered by the emergency dynamo circuit. There was no oil lamp on the mainmast. Titanic's lights were seen by two eyewitnesses on the SS Californian until 2:05am Californian time (2:17am Titanic time) when it disappeared.
That's the understanding I had as well, but it seems odd then that THG would go for the "light on the mainmast remained lit until it was submerged" concept in their animation.

I wasn't able to stay up late last night to post this features list and so here it is. A full description is from TitanicHG's Facebook page.

FULL FEATURES LIST FOR PROJECT 401​

"112 years ago around this time, Titanic's 712 survivors finally arrived in New York.

As their journey ends, a journey of ours begins. In our ongoing effort to honor and remember Titanic and continue telling her great story, we are excited to release a full list of our planned features for TITANIC: PROJECT 401.
Thanks to RMS Titanic, Inc. and Encyclopedia Titanica for making some of these features possible."

Attachments

• Features List.jpg
    Features List.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 16
Do you find it probable that the lights “snapped out” or more of a slow fade in their most recent animation?
"Head down, and that is the time when I saw her lights go out, all her lights. The next thing I saw was her poop. As she went down like that so her poop righted itself and I thought to myself, “The poop is going to float.” It could not have been more than two or three minutes after that that her poop went up as straight as anything; there was a sound like steady thunder as you hear on an ordinary night at a distance, and soon she disappeared from view."

I go with most eyewitnesses who said the lights went out when the ship broke. Prior to that, lights in certain parts of the ship in the forward section went out as the bow slowly submerged. Before the break, the only lights in the forward part of the ship that was still seen to be lit were the side lights and mast light, probably because they were powered from the emergency lighting circuit while the main lighting there went because breakers opened as the bow got further under over time.

Last edited:
"Head down, and that is the time when I saw her lights go out, all her lights. The next thing I saw was her poop. As she went down like that so her poop righted itself and I thought to myself, “The poop is going to float.” It could not have been more than two or three minutes after that that her poop went up as straight as anything; there was a sound like steady thunder as you hear on an ordinary night at a distance, and soon she disappeared from view."

I go with most eyewitnesses who said the lights went out when the ship broke. Prior to that, lights in certain parts of the ship in the forward section went out as the bow slowly submerged. Before the break, the only lights in the forward part of the ship that was still seen to be lit were the side lights and mast light, probably because they were powered from the emergency lighting circuit while the main lighting there went because breakers opened as the bow got further under over time.

I definitely agree that the lights went as the break happened. From an electrical standpoint, I was more referring more to the lights suddenly going dark like in the ‘97 movie, or if they sort of winked out like a dying candle.

Back