Titanic Hull

I witnessed another incident on the same boat,nothng to do with the cold,at least I don't think so.It was on the same boat.I happened to notice "dye_pen","mag particle" & "ex_ray" inspectors doing their bit on an area of the tank top plating.When they left my mate & I sallied over for a look see.What did we see,you might ask,our old "friend",LAMINATION.Has the possibility of this been bandied about for titanic.Lamination is usually only found by accident.That is to say,if a tradesman comes across it while cutting the plt.
regards.
dw.

Stay off the Guinness??? Whatcha talkin' about??? Like most Yanks, I'll have mine chilled, but I'll still have it! As for green stew, staying away from that sounds like a good idea!
lame.gif

Hi Mick,I was able to gain access to this board whilst foraging in a site from my native east belfast,birth place of the great boat herself.The site is eastbelfast.com,give it a go.By the way,have yuo tried the NEW BOTTLED GUINNESS yet?
Give that a go too!!!
regards.
dw.

Michael Standart,you haven't responded to my posting on 24 th feb 04,under construction/tech/design,regarding the effects of cold on steel.
regards.
dw.

Sorry David, I may have missed it. I'll be out of town for a few days too so I may not have a chance to deal with it for a spell. What concerns did you wish to address? I may not be able to give you an informed reply on it, but I'm sure somebody here can.

Was titanic's hull tested to cope with the extreme cold temperature of the north atlantic because i believe that mild grade steel becomes brittle under extreme cold. could this be why the titanic broke in two ten feet after the second funnel.

>>Was titanic's hull tested to cope with the extreme cold temperature of the north atlantic<<

In a sense, she was tested everyday as was every other ship made in Britain of the same steel. The only reason Titanic came up wanting is because she got into a shoving match with something just as if not bigger...and lost. Any ship of the period would have lost.

>>because i believe that mild grade steel becomes brittle under extreme cold.<<

The brittle steel myth is addressed by Parks Stephenson On This Hotlink. and also HERE.

>>could this be why the titanic broke in two ten feet after the second funnel.<<

Nope. Conterary to popular myth, the quality of the steel was not much of a factor at all. Stressing the structure beyond any point where she could survive was the monkey wrench in the works. You can get some insights on that at Roy Mengot's The Wreck of the RMS Titanic.

The tare in her hull was 40 feet below the water line if i remember rightly 274 feet long and flooded five compartments almost instantly from the forward chain locker to boiler room 6 ) i Have a detailed picture of the hull section if you e_mail me i will send you a copy via attachment it is too large to upload here.

Mmmmmmmm...Kieth, since the Titanic never drew more then 34 feet 7 inches at her maximum load, I'd be interested to see how a tear could have started 40 feet below the waterline. You might also want to check out the links I offered so you have a better understanding of the ground. There's a lot of disinformation out there on these events, and the people whose sites I posted a link to have done a lot to clear things up.

Keel Construction.
I've read that the keel was start by lining up keel plates end to end. How were they connected? were they layered, or overlapped? Also, I read that the keel bar itself was some 3 feet wide and 3 inches thick, and was laid vertically on to of the keel plates in a sort of I-beam configuration, with another line of keel plate on top. I doubt that any forge could produce an 850 foot long keel bar, so I was wondering if this was done in sections, and if so, how big were they, and how were they attached to the line of keel plates? Were there brackets of some kind? I saw one close up picture of the keel bar looking up that appeared solid, but in other picture it appears pierced with holes, presumably to lighted it. How did they construct the keel, does anybody know? It just seems like unbelievably "heavy" construction. Thank, Rob Hauser

o.k. michael take a good look at the lower left corner at the pictures i sent you and you should be able to see what i believe to be the tear in her hull made by the iceberg also some other pictures from my archive. Please let me know what you think.

Sorry, Keith but I didn't find any pictures, and I'm sure you understand why I'm not in the habit of opening files and attachments from people I don't know. I'm, afraid there's really no way to reliably identify iceberg damage to the hull because impact with the bottom would have and do some considerable damage in it's own right. If there's a tear in the hull anywhere done by the iceberg, it's buried so deep that the sidescan sonar imaging made of the wreck below the mudline was never able to identify it.

Robert Hauser,the keelson,the vertical bar below & attached to the keel plate was probably made from 20"x4" slab (flat bar).More than likely came in 6'lengths.Steel ships in those days were designed on the old clincher wooden boat principle.Regarding the joining of the keel plates please refer my post on the connecting of shell butts,the same applied.To connect the keelson to the keel,3"X3"X1/2" angle was used,inside & out.The floors,centre girder,all fore & aft girders,stringers & virtually all 90 degree connections were joined in this fashion.A squad of apprentices,called the "chinese squad" chinks squad,no disrespect intended,made all these angles,commonly known as angle chokes.This is probably the area were the hydraulic riveter was used to it's optimum.
regards.
dw

Back