Just in from the BBC:

Expert says pipe-laying ship on scene​

BBC News has been speaking to marine scientist and expedition leader David Mearns, who has been keeping a close eye on developments off Newfoundland.
He tells us that a commercial pipe-laying ship has arrived in the area where the submersible was last reported, and says this is welcome news.
“Just in the last hour or so... another commercial vessel, a very capable pipe laying vessel, modern ship, with ROV (remotely operated underwater vehicle) capabilities, is actually over the site now and we’re just hoping that it has the capabilities to reach those kind of depths – 3,800 metres – to search for the submersible and have the ability to recover it.
"There is some hope that that could happen.”

Just in from the BBC:

Expert says pipe-laying ship on scene​

BBC News has been speaking to marine scientist and expedition leader David Mearns, who has been keeping a close eye on developments off Newfoundland.
He tells us that a commercial pipe-laying ship has arrived in the area where the submersible was last reported, and says this is welcome news.
“Just in the last hour or so... another commercial vessel, a very capable pipe laying vessel, modern ship, with ROV (remotely operated underwater vehicle) capabilities, is actually over the site now and we’re just hoping that it has the capabilities to reach those kind of depths – 3,800 metres – to search for the submersible and have the ability to recover it.
"There is some hope that that could happen.”
How does an ROV recover a submarine that can't be communicated with.

For those wanting to follow developments, I recommend the Guardian's live blog. For those outside the UK, they can be considered a reliable newspaper and their live blogs are usually both well informed and cautious to avoid unsubstantiated speculation (Their live blogs also agregate news update from various government agencies and other trusted international news outlets)

How does an ROV recover a submarine that can't be communicated with.
It can't. The best that could be hoped for, if the sub isn't floating lost on the surface, is that it is stuck somewhere near the wreck and it just needs to be dislodged from an obstruction.

I don't know if the ROVs available have any way to manipulate or cut, but I would imagine they could be rammed into something to try to free a stuck sub. That wouldn't be without its own risks.

How does the Titan normally resurface? Is there some sort of ballast mechanism?
They can inflate airbags to resurface, also propellers can cause the submersible to ascend even if there has been a total loss of power. According to David Pogue, a reporter who was on board this submersible last year, there are at least seven different independent ways to ascend to the surface. He is hopeful that the sub has resurfaced and is just drifting around somewhere, unable to communicate due to loss of power.

They can inflate airbags to resurface, also propellers can cause the submersible to ascend even if there has been a total loss of power. According to David Pogue, a reporter who was on board this submersible last year, there are at least seven different independent ways to ascend to the surface. He is hopeful that the sub has resurfaced and is just drifting around somewhere, unable to communicate due to loss of power.
I sincerely hope so. If that's happened, then air supply is not an issue, I take it? Also, I understand that they have enough supplies for a few days.

If it is floating around on the surface, hopefully it should only be a matter of time before they find it. I learned that they are using submarine spotter aircraft.

Does the Titan have some sort of beacon or similar signal emitter that would help the searchers?

I sincerely hope so. If that's happened, then air supply is not an issue, I take it? Also, I understand that they have enough supplies for a few days.

If it is floating around on the surface, hopefully it should only be a matter of time before they find it. I learned that they are using submarine spotter aircraft.

Does the Titan have some sort of beacon or similar signal emitter that would help the searchers?
Titan's hatch is sealed from the outside by 17 bolts. So if the onboard air supply runs out, there's no way to open it from the inside. Titan does have an underwater signal emitter, but it seems that has failed.

I was just thinking. How does the onboard air supply system work? The vehicle does not look large enough to hold enough air for 5 people for 96 hours or whatever the rated duration is. Is the air supply dependent on continued power supply or is it some sort of mechanical compressed air device like scuba tanks?

I was just thinking. How does the onboard air supply system work? The vehicle does not look large enough to hold enough air for 5 people for 96 hours or whatever the rated duration is. Is the air supply dependent on continued power supply or is it some sort of mechanical compressed air device like scuba tanks?
From David Pogue's interview, he said that there are scuba tanks under the sub's floor. Also, scrubbers can extract oxygen from carbon dioxide, but they don't last forever.

For those wanting to follow developments, I recommend the Guardian's live blog. For those outside the UK, they can be considered a reliable newspaper and their live blogs are usually both well informed and cautious to avoid unsubstantiated speculation
That's true. The Guardian is one of the most neutral newspapers in the world and very reliable. It is certainly worth following their live blog for updates about something like this missing submersible.

I just requested my 94 year old Mother-in-law to say a special prayer for the occupants of the sub during her evening meditation.

1687274991801.jpg

Back