Factors That Could Have Prevented Sinking

>>Here's one from the bleachers.

Isn't it just possible that after Hichens put the wheel hard over, he kept it there, awaiting orders? Meanwhile, Titanic ran her way off, while turning through about 270 degrees.<<

Just thinking out loud....Could Herman Wouk have used this for the "cutting the tow line incident" in "The Caine Mutiny"....."putting the wheel hard over, he kept it there, awaiting orders"...and the Titanic could have turned through even as much as 360 degrees ?

Robert-- Technically, in 1912 a quartermaster like Hichens was nothing more than an automatic steering machine with a name. He was to obey orders. At sea, that meant shifting the helm slightly as needed to maintain heading. However, if given an order like, "hard a-port," he was to put the helm hard over and keep it there until the conning officer issued another instruction. So, assuming that no counter order was given, Hichens would have maintained full right ("port helm" meant right rudder in 1912) rudder. If no other order had ever been given, we should see the rudder hard over even today.

Could Titanic have done a 360 turn with engines stopped? I really doubt it. Sam can probably compute a good approximation of how far the ship might have coasted, but I don't think there was enough momentum to overcome the friction from the water. Add to friction the energy lost in making the ship turn.

Interesting question, though.

-- David G. Brown

David said: "So, assuming that no counter order was given, Hichens would have maintained full right ("port helm" meant right rudder in 1912) rudder. If no other order had ever been given, we should see the rudder hard over even today."

Bill Sauder posted on this site (back in 2000) as follows:
quote:

The Brown Telemotors were fitted with heavy springs that forced both the wheel and the rudder back to a neutral position amidships if the helmsman let go of the wheel.
Therefore the current position of the rudder doesn't really tell us what the last helm order was.​

Paul, that is correct. Unless the wheel was lashed hard over to one side or the other it would go back to amidships when released. What we know is that the ship was facing northward when on the surface last. There is plenty of evidence to support that.

As far as the question whether the ship could have completed a full turn after they stopped the engines assuming the helm was kept hard over all the time, my guess is probably not.

First, in a hard over turn the hydrodynamic forces on the hull is much greater than if the ship is heading straight ahead. That is why for a ship the length of Titanic and its turning radius, the speed of the ship would go from 22 knots to a steady 17 knots in the turn if the engines are kept at full ahead. This added hydrodynamic force, a form of induced drag, amounts to about 40% of the total drag on the hull with the helm hard over.

Second thing to consider is that the engines were not just stopped but were seen to go astern slowly for a short time before come to stop again. This backing of the engines would help take the way off the ship. About 2 minutes after the collision the speed of the ship was down to about 4 to 6 knots according to Lightoller and Shiers I believe.

As an aside, if the ship was put into say a hard-astarboard turn initially going at 22 knots with the engines set at full ahead, it would take the ship a little over 7 minutes to complete a 360° turn with the engines untouched. At that time the speed would down to a steady 17 knots and remain there until the ship is brought out of the turn, or the engines cut or backed.

>>What was the last recorded compass reading entered into the log prior to the collision?<<

That is a very good question. Unfortunately, both the formal and the scrap log...the latter of which could have told us something useful...never made it off the ship.

Will, as Michael said we have no idea what was the last course entry that made it into the scrap log. From the evidence given at the formal inquiries into the loss of the ship, the last known course change was at 5:50 PM ship's time to a heading of S 86° W (266°) true. Any course changes beyond that point are purely conjectural.

Ok, now with some time on my hands I'd like to respond to my friend David Brown's post above, posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 12:22 am, the one where we have Boxhall's actions according to David's interpretation of events.

David, you said
quote:

I will go on record as saying that a careful study of Boxhall's actions coupled with reports of his whereabouts from other survivors indicate he could not have heard Murdoch say those famous words. If the testimony of seaman Frank Evans is true Boxhall could not have been on the bridge to hear them.

You then go on to describe that AB Evans met a J/O who he thought was Lowe within a minute of the collision, and you then went on to say that it had to have been Boxhall who he met who was in the process of checking on the men of the starboard watch.

Well, let's go to source:

AB Frank EVANS:
quote:

Sunday night was my watch on deck, and I was sitting at the table reading a book, and all of a sudden I felt a slight jar. I did not take any notice of it for a few minutes, until one of the other able seamen came down with a big lump of ice in his hands, and he said "Look what I found on the fore well deck," and he chucked it down on the deck; and I went up the ladder there and I met one officer....I think it was the fifth officer; the fifth or sixth officer. He told me to go down and find the carpenter and sound all the wells forward, and report to the bridge. I went down the engineer's alleyway to find him, and I met the boatswain there, and he said, "Who are you looking for, Evans?" I said "The carpenter." He said "He has gone up." He said "What is the matter?" I said "I do not know. I think we have struck an iceberg." The boatswain went up, then. We went up and we looked down the forward hatch, where the tarpaulin was raising up with the wind, and I seen the boatswain again, and he told me to go down and tell the seamen to come up and uncover the boats, and make them ready for going out. I went up there with the remainder of the crew and uncovered all of the port boats. I then went over to the starboard side and lowered the boats there, with the assistance of the boatswain...I forget the boatswain's name. We used to call him Mick [sic]; we used to give him that nickname....No, sir; he was drowned, sir. He was the boatswain of the ship. [That was Alfred Nichols who was called "Nick," and not to be confused with the boatswain's mate Alfred Haines who survived.]
My words in brackets.

So Evans did not come topside for "a few minutes," not within a minute as you claimed. Evans was not sure if it was the 5th or 6th officer he met. We can, as you said rule out Lowe, but we cannot rule out Moody. Olliver said he was asked to find the Carpenter to take the draft of the ship right after Murdoch told Smith that the WTDs were closed. (See quote from Olliver, Hichens, Boxhall in my post above on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 2:45 am.) Also Hichens said that "He [Capt. Smith] immediately then sent for the carpenter to sound the ship." Moody could also have gone forward, as we know Wilde did, soon after Boxhall and Olliver had left the bridge. We know about Wilde going to inspect the forepeak from boatswain's mate Haines, and Evans gives some indication that Moody was going forward as well. We know from Lightoller that a few minutes after the collision Murdoch and Smith were out on opposite bridge wings as the ship was still drifting at 4-6 knots. Looks like Wilde, Boxhall, and Moody were off the bridge trying to find out what they can about damage from the collision.

Now you also don't believe Boxhall when he said he left the bridge and inspected the passenger areas forward and came back to bridge and reported seeing no damage, all in about 10 minutes time. You described it as "the equivalent to an 8-story building twice and also walking about 4 times the length of a football field in what appears to be only 10 minutes."

So how long would it really take him to do all that? Well maybe if you where the one asked to do that you wouldn't get it done in 10 minutes, but it it not as unreasonable as you seem to believe:
quote:

I went at a slow walking pace. On one occasion one of the Assessors accompanied me; on one occasion one of the Board of Trade Counsel, and on one occasion the Counsel for the third class passengers. The times varied a little, but they were always between 3 and 3 1/2 minutes. That is right down from the lowest third class cabin that was occupied.
The time above is what it took Wilding with an assessor alongside to go up from the lowest level 3rd class cabin to the boat deck at a slow pace. I presume going down would take a little shorter time. So at a fast pace, 5-6 minutes alloted for going up and down and a few minutes more looking to see if any water was coming in on the way seems quite doable. And that 10 minutes was for his first trip forward, not both trips forward. Remember, Boxhall was only 28 years old, much less than ......well I better not say it.
happy.gif

Dave, what you wrote about Boxhall makes for a great Sunday yarn.

I'll have more to say in response to your other post above on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 7:54 pm. But got other things to do right now.​

Dave, continuing our open discussion among friends, you said:
quote:

Hichens and Boxhall imply the warning bell came less than a minute before impact. However, Boxhall in particular heard bells twice--or he was in two places when he heard bells once--but either way his divergent testimonies (US vs BOT) make anything he said on this subject highly suspect.
No, Boxhall didn't hear 3-bells twice. Like the testimony of many others, there were differences in the details of what people said only a few weeks apart. And that is to be expected in any accident investigation. Some witnesses were more consistent and better at remembering specific details than others.

You also said:
quote:

Olliver never said anything about the duration between when he heard the bell and when he started walking back to the bridge. We have imputed that time, but he never said anything beyond that the errand taking him to the platform had been completed. How long did that errand take. At what point during the duration of the errand did the crow's nest bell ring? He never gave any hint. "I left that (errand) and came, was just entering on the bridge just as the shock came," is what he said.
I agree that Olliver never specifically mentioned time, but in his description he said: "I looked, but could not see anything, and I left that and came ..." So how long are we suppose to believe he was still at the platform trimming the oil lights after instinctively looking up when he heard 3 bells from the nest? Are we to believe it takes another 5 to 8 minutes (minus 45 seconds to walk to the bridge) to finish trimming the lights?

When we look at what others have said, excluding Scarrott, we see that Olliver's description fits in nicely if he started to leave the platform for the bridge very soon after hearing those bells as his statement implies. Allowing 45 seconds to walk the distance, an interval that was timed by Cameron, and allow 10-15 seconds for reaction (looking up, etc.), we are left with an estimate of about 1 minute from 3 bells to the collision imputed from Olliver. Now, one minute is 2280 ft of steaming at 22 1/2 knots. A little over a 1/3 nautical mile. Reginald Lee testified (British inquiry 2447) that he thought the berg was about 1/2 mile away when they first spotted it from the nest. And this too makes sense as I pointed out in my paper, “Iceberg Right Ahead” (on this site), where data collected by Lt. Commander Fred Zeusler of the USCG in 1925 on iceberg visibility distances listed a 1/2 mile for spotting icebergs on a clear, moonless night. Also James Bisset, in his book Tramps & Ladies, wrote that icebergs are visible by starlight half mile ahead in clear weather. But you insist on takings Scarrott's unsure ("As I did not take much notice of the three strikes on the gong, I could hardly recollect the time") estimate of 5-8 minutes as the valid interval. I believe it is nothing more than a recollection of time from when they struck 7 bells (11:30) to when he heard the 3 bells.

So how do you find support for a 5-8 minute interval, which is a 2 to 3 mile distance for spotting the iceberg? First of all you have to reject the testimony of others. Lee testified, “The first thing that was reported was after seven bells struck; it was some minutes, it might have been nine or ten minutes afterwards. Three bells were struck by Fleet….’” So here we have direct conflicting testimony as to the time between 7 bells and the 3 bell warning. You choose to accept Scorrott’s unsure estimate because you developed a theory that included an unsubstantiated 2-point course change to go around field ice that stretched about 2 points on either side of dead ahead at 11:30; a course change that makes little sense to any ship or boat handler or an airplane pilot who needs to get around an obstruction to navigation ahead.

Second of all, it seems you have to redefine the meaning of “haze” as “ice blink”. I pointed out to you even privately some time ago that ice blink is light seen on the horizon from the underside of low clouds caused by light reflecting off field ice immediately beyond. Usually, that will be from reflected moon light causing a double reflection, first off the ice and then off the clouds ahead. You now say it requires "only moisture in the atmosphere (which is really the same thing, but not as visible)” and that “the day had been sunny and warm, ideal for creating moist air above the ice which the still wind would not have dissipated.” I strongly suggest you look at the weather conditions past 6 p.m. where the air and water temperatures dropped sharply after the ship turned the corner. What matters is the weather conditions in the region they were steaming into, not where they came from. In that region, there was less than a 2° F difference between air and sea temperatures all night long. We have hard evidence for that. There were no clouds in the sky whatsoever, clearly indicating that the relative humidity was very low to begin with. The conditions you say existed simply were not there.

The talk of haze came from lookouts Fleet, Lee, and Symons. According to testimony given by Symons at the Ryan Vs. WSL trial, “There was a slight haze on the water obscuring the view of the sky-line.” He said it was about the same throughout his two hours in the nest. Symons was up in the nest from 8 till 10 before Fleet and Lee. And Lee, as you know, said the “haze” was all around the horizon soon after he and Fleet took to the nest. Care to explain these other accounts with your haze hypothesis?

You also said:
quote:

There is no reason to believe that the ship-to-ice distance was the same at 6:30 a.m. as it was the preceding 11:40 p.m. Instead, there is every reason to believe that: 1.) Rostron's estimate was not perfect; and 2.) Titanic sank some unknown distance from where it struck; and, 3.) we do not have data on the currents at various levels to predict differences in the drifts between the ship and the icebergs.
1. Rostron’s estimate of 2-3 miles from wreckage to the edge of the ice field was taken during daylight after the sun came. It is the best that we have to go with from someone with years of experience on the Atlantic.
2. After the collision the Titanic headed northward approximately paralleling the eastern edge of the ice field, an ice field which ran from northward to southward.
3. I don’t really care about the drift of icebergs here. I care about the drift of the field ice which would be taken by the same surface current as affected the stopped Titanic.

You said:
quote:

A two-point turn makes sense at the time the decision was taken, given Captain Smith's current knowledge and the ordinary practice of seamen at the time.
Explain why a 2 point course change makes any sense at all. What was Smith’s “current knowledge” that you seem to know so much about, yet later say “We cannot know Smith's intentions”? What “ordinary practice of seaman” are you talking about here?

You said
quote:

It is probably not too far out on the historic limb to say that Smith would have known a two-point turn would not fully clear the ice. If we put his actions into 1912 context, it is probable that he intended only to go far enough south to get into the southern end of the ice field. Whether sound thinking or not, he may have expected the density of ice to be less at the "toe" of the field and so it would have been easier to pick his way through.
How could you possibly believe yourself? What does 1912 context have to do with any of this? To say he probably intended to go only far enough south to get to the southern end of the ice field, but that required him to have some prior knowledge of the extent of the ice field. Cite for me which ice warnings would have given him that information? I know of non that would lead him to alter course by only 2 points so late in the game. If an ice field was seen and recognized 3-4 miles ahead of them at 11:30, an alteration in course of much more than 2 points would be called for.

What it seems to me you are trying to do is come up with a scenario to fit your version of events based on no real evidence, and to reject what little evidence we have. Your trying to turn Hichens' 2 point hard-astarboard turn into a non-emergency 2 point course change that I find totally unsupported.
quote:

You cannot say there was no course alteration based on any of your arguments. Nothing you have pointed out prevents my hypothesis from being true. On the other hand, I am claiming only what Hichens and Boxhall claimed--that the ship turned left under starboard helm (1912 parlance) and that turn resulted in an iceberg accident.
What I’m saying is that your arguments for a 2 point course change has little, if any basis. You are NOT claiming the same thing that Boxhall and Hichens claimed. They claimed that a hard-starboard order was received from Murdoch shortly before the ship collided. You reject that. You also must therefore reject Lee’s testimony that “the helm must have been put either hard-a-starboard or very close to it, because she veered to port, and it seemed almost as if she might clear it, but I suppose there was ice under water” which certainly does sound to me like they were just steadying up after completing a routine 2 point course change.

Continuing:
quote:

As to maneuvering with engines, my experience in twin-screwed vessels doing this maneuver at high speed indicates there is stern swing.
I never said there is no swinging of the stern with spilt engines. What I said is that in a turn with rudder, it is the hydrodynamic force on the rudder that kicks the stern out at the start of the turn. Running the inside engine astern would tend to tighten the turn and is used especially in crowded quarters such as narrow channels to turn a ship on its heel as they say. Backing one of the engines also tends to move the pivot point toward the stern. And putting things in “1912 context,” an order for a helm change after the object goes past the ship’s pivot point will get the result you want much faster than issuing engine orders before the object makes contact given the uncertain delay in having them carried out, especially when a change in engine orders would come unexpectedly down below.
quote:

Murdoch's intent was clearly to avoid raking the starboard side and mostly to prevent damage to the starboard screw. He could not avoid hitting the iceberg and knew it.
Now we have something we both agree on. Nobody can say for sure what Murdoch knew or did not know, but I would agree that he needed to avoid raking the starboard side, which would also prevent damage to the starboard screw as well as the central screw and rudder. His actions as described by Olliver and indirectly supported with what Rowe observed indicated that he did just that.

quote:

As to the Stop order to the stokeholds, Sam is making a rather large assumption that whoever sent that boiler order correctly interpreted the engine order he received from the bridge. … The assumption of perfect response to every situation is simply not supported by the human condition.
Let me put it a different way, the assumption that you are making that an engineer may have sent a premature Stop order to the stokeholds has no observational support. However, there is observational support that a Stop order for both engines came down from the bridge at the time of the collision.
quote:

I really do believe that Murdoch asked for reverse on the starboard engine. However, that is only a possibility permitted within the context of my hypothesis. It is also permitted that he ordered All Stop instead. My hypothesis does not change.
I have no problem with anyone developing an hypothesis, which is nothing more than a tentative assumption based on insufficient evidence made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences. And I enjoy testing these on both accounts.​

Hello everyone! I am very interested in your opinions - expert, please or otherwise, conjecture is still greatly appreciated - concerning this question. What is the one most plausible, or key occurrence you feel could have happened (but didn't) in order to have avoided the disaster? (This, of course, is presuming we were given the luxury to go back in time and correct it.) Or what tweaking to the series of events that led to her sinking needed to happen in order to produce the alternative outcome? Looking forward to your responses - thank you!

Jennifer, my feelings, a collision with the NEW YORK which nearly occured (missed by approx. 12") while TITANIC was departing Southampton docks. Only the quick actions of, an experienced, Capt. E.J. Smith averted the collison...captured by still photography...compliments of Father Browne.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

"If ?" and "If Only !"

I think are the main answers to your question.

One of the commentaries on one of the "Titanic" movies mentioned they were so many "ifs" and "if onlys" that contributed to the disaster and any one of them might have prevented it. Another comment was that all of the "ifs" when put together caused the disaster and that any of the "if onlys" would have prevented it .

>>captured by still photography...compliments of Father Browne.<<

Is there any record that the near miss with New York might have been recorded on a movie camera ?
(Seems to be some record of a person aboard Titanic who was doing some filming of this nature..Admittedly, this could be one of those "urban myths and legends.")

Of course any thing of this nature would have gone down with the ship, of course.

>>(missed by approx. 12")<<

I'd heard it was about 4 feet ?...but never mind ...a "near miss" in any case.

[Moderator's Note: This post and the three above it, originally posted as a separate thread in this subtopic, have been moved to the pre-existing one discussing the same subject. JDT]

Hello Jennifer,

Welcome aboard!

See the above posts for other members opinions, on what could have prevented the disaster. However, there are so many 'if's' surrounding it, that it's difficult to point to just one. Also, see these threads for some more 'what if's'.

Hi Robert,

quote:

Is there any record that the near miss with New York might have been recorded on a movie camera ?

Supposedly, William Harbeck was doing some filming on board. If anybody recorded the near collision, it would have been him. But we'll never know for sure, as he did not survive nor did his film.

quote:

I'd heard it was about 4 feet ?...

You're right, it was. Sorry Michael, but Robert is correct. But nonetheless, it was definitely a very close call.​

>>What is the one most plausible, or key occurrence you feel could have happened (but didn't) in order to have avoided the disaster?<<

Honestly, the simplest and easiest thing to do would have been to steer a course so as to avoid the icefield. They had the information. All they needed to do was to use it.

Jason-

>>If anybody recorded the near collision,<<

I think your term "near collision" is more accurate than "near miss."

Just aside from my old days with the FAA.:

It has always seemed to me that the term "near miss" was a misnomer...it would seem if you "nearly missed" an object, you hit it ! Just IMHO.

Back