Factors That Could Have Prevented Sinking

Sam-- Hichens and Boxhall imply the warning bell came less than a minute before impact. However, Boxhall in particular heard bells twice--or he was in two places when he heard bells once--but either way his divergent testimonies (US vs BOT) make anything he said on this subject highly suspect.

Olliver never said anything about the duration between when he heard the bell and when he started walking back to the bridge. We have imputed that time, but he never said anything beyond that the errand taking him to the platform had been completed. How long did that errand take. At what point during the duration of the errand did the crow's nest bell ring? He never gave any hint. "I left that (errand) and came, was just entering on the bridge just as the shock came," is what he said.

Ice blink does not require "clouds" in the fashion you imply, only moisture in the atmosphere (which is really the same thing, but not as visible). The day had been sunny and warm, ideal for creating moist air above the ice which the still wind would not have dissipated. The result could have been sufficient to create the visual image described by the lookouts. Don't forget, they never said it was bright, just visible.

Rostron's distance estimate to the ice was just that, an estimate. It is not a measurement. In addition, Titanic moved under its own steam between impact and its final stop.

Another improbable is that the icebergs with their deep drafts were being moved by deep currents that did not affect Titanic while it was on the surface.

There is no reason to believe that the ship-to-ice distance was the same at 6:30 a.m. as it was the preceding 11:40 p.m. Instead, there is every reason to believe that: 1.) Rostron's estimate was not perfect; and 2.) Titanic sank some unknown distance from where it struck; and, 3.) we do not have data on the currents at various levels to predict differences in the drifts between the ship and the icebergs.

Your discussion of the angular width of the ice field across the bow is based upon the assumption that the lookouts had calibrated eyeballs. "Two points" in ordinary sailor talk may be more or less than 22.5 degrees.

However, my argument is based on the ice field growing larger as the ship approaches. A two-point turn makes sense at the time the decision was taken, given Captain Smith's current knowledge and the ordinary practice of seamen at the time. On Titanic, the placement of the standard compass required extra time to make a course alteration compared to a more traditional bridge layout with the standard on the wheelhouse roof. Allow Boxhall 45 seconds from the officer quarters door to the platform, 3.5 minutes to actually conduct the course change, and 45 seconds to come back to opposite the captain's suite, and you have a 5 minute evolution--which validates Scarrott's testimony.

We cannot know Smith's intentions. However, there is no doubt that a two-point turn was insufficient to avoid the ice. It is probably not too far out on the historic limb to say that Smith would have known a two-point turn would not fully clear the ice. If we put his actions into 1912 context, it is probable that he intended only to go far enough south to get into the southern end of the ice field. Whether sound thinking or not, he may have expected the density of ice to be less at the "toe" of the field and so it would have been easier to pick his way through.

You cannot say there was no course alteration based on any of your arguments. Nothing you have pointed out prevents my hypothesis from being true. On the other hand, I am claiming only what Hichens and Boxhall claimed--that the ship turned left under starboard helm (1912 parlance) and that turn resulted in an iceberg accident.

As to maneuvering with engines, my experience in twin-screwed vessels doing this maneuver at high speed indicates there is stern swing. I've done just the maneuver I propose for Murdoch to save my ass entering Port Clinton harbor. It worked.

The outward swing of the stern is not just from rudder pressure. Most of it is generated by pressure differentials created on the hull itself. High pressure is created on the inside of the turn, low on the outside. Differentials are created when one prop is "weak" as well. That's why you have to crab-steer a twin-screw boat when one engine is out of order.

However, I agree with Sam that stopping the starboard screw of Titanic would have forced the starboard bow toward the ice. That's why Murdoch also needed full right rudder at the same time. It was a combined maneuver. BUT IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO AVOID THE BERG.

Murdoch's intent was clearly to avoid raking the starboard side and mostly to to prevent damage to the starboard screw. He could not avoid hitting the iceberg and knew it.

One possibility has just entered my head. When you are going to hit something, you can take the blow at the precisely right point to "spring" the side and stern out of harm's way. This is a subset case of Sam's concept of trying to spread the impact of the blow. This is extremely difficult to do. I've done this in my career, but my rate of success is equal only to chance. If the bow hits too soon, you swing the stern into trouble. Too late, and the object rakes down the side. Murdoch may have been attempting to cause the impact in way of Titanic's pivot point. And, an argument that he was highly successful might be made.

As to the Stop order to the stokeholds, Sam is making a rather large assumption that whoever sent that boiler order correctly interpreted the engine order he received from the bridge. Perhaps he reacted too quickly? Could he have sent a Stop order to the boiler rooms automatically when he saw Stop on one telegraph? Could his instinctive reaction have overridden the fact that he still needed steam for the port engine? The assumption of perfect response to every situation is simply not supported by the human condition.

I really do believe that Murdoch asked for reverse on the starboard engine. However, that is only a possibility permitted within the context of my hypothesis. It is also permitted that he ordered All Stop instead. My hypothesis does not change.

--David G. Brown

Sam said: "And if he was attempting (which I don't believe he was) to port around the berg to avoid contact as Boxhall claimed, he obviously severely misjudged everything because the ship hit."

Sam and David - In terms of your various hypotheses, and bearing in mind that we are all trying to work out what Murdoch was attempting, what are we to make of his reported comment to Smith: "I tried to port around it sir, but she was too close, and we hit…"? Was Murdoch lying, mis-quoted, mis-heard or something else?

Are you sure you want to debate this publicly Dave? It seems you're almost asking for a point-by-point response which is going to take some time away from a few other things I'm currently working on. Furthermore, this seems to be between you and I, so I'm not too sure about the level of interest that others may have in all of this. But I do find this somewhat refreshing in that it doesn't involve expansion joints, or top-down Vs. bottom-up break ups, or the like, that everyone else seems to be obsessed with these days.

As that famous quote from that 2nd not-so-great actor (IMO) now Governor of CA once said, "I'll be back."

Sam-- No, this is not a public debate, just a conversation that comes and goes between and among friends. However, if you don't come back we'll send out Michael Standart with a press gang.

Paul-- I will go on record as saying that a careful study of Boxhall's actions coupled with reports of his whereabouts from other survivors indicate he could not have heard Murdoch say those famous words. If the testimony of seaman Frank Evans is true Boxhall could not have been on the bridge to hear them.

Within a minute of impact, Evans met an officer (he thought Lowe, but Lowe by self-admission was asleep) in the well deck. The only officer moving forward that early was Boxhall who should have been on his way to check on the men of his starboard watch. Note that Evans recognized the man was a junior officer and not Chief Officer Wilde who moved through the well deck a few minutes later.

I know this will rankle many people, but Boxhall's testimony about what Murdoch said to Captain Smith could only be hearsay from a third party. The only honest testimony of Murdoch's comments to Smith came from Olliver who said only, "Mr. Murdoch reported." His reference was to the closing of the watertight doors. Olliver made no mention about the alleged port around maneuver.

Boxhall's descriptions of his actions during the first minutes after impact have always been troublesome. He has himself going down and up the equivalent to an 8-story building twice and also walking about 4 times the length of a football field in what appears to be only 10 minutes.

He says that the first time he left the bridge he did it without permission. Not quite. It was time for him to make rounds of the men in his watch. It being a rope-yarn Sunday, they were mostly lazing on the mess deck. In his U.S. testimony Boxhall first said he did not see the impact, then described the berg at the "bluff of the bow." He also said he heard bells as he was opposite the captain's suite. All of this would have been true if he were starting down the crew-only stairway to B deck on his way forward. While in that stair tower he could not have seen the initial impact, but a few seconds later when he emerged on B deck, he could well have seen the berg just as he testified.

Boxhall told Evans to find the carpenter, a mission which was apparently successful. Only a few minutes later, Captain Smith dispatched Olliver on the same mission. When he got to Scotland Road on E deck, Olliver found the carpenter already awake and starting to work.

Boxhall may well have diverted from his regular rounds to check on passenger quarters in the bow. He claims to have done this, and it would have been a reasonable thing for an officer to do under the circumstances. His "no trouble found" report was the result.

After reporting back to the bridge, it appears Boxhall began preparing boat #2. That's when he saw the carpenter coming up the stairway with bad news. After hearing the report, Boxhall sent the carpenter to Smith. It was now that Boxhall took it on his own initiative to leave the bridge to check out the situation.

Boxhall only slightly jumbled events, and probably less so than a lot of other witnesses. He could have made an honest human error in recollecting what happened and when it took place. However, I'm still suspicious. By changing around his story, Boxhall was able to create enough time to make it believable that he was on the bridge and heard Murdoch's report to Smith.

So, in my opinion, the port around maneuver is just so much bunk. Murdoch's report that the watertight doors were closed is confirmed by Olliver. And, whether Murdoch said it or not, the iceberg was too close and Titanic did hit the iceberg.

-- David G. Brown

>>Boxhall's descriptions of his actions during the first minutes after impact have always been troublesome.<<

In all candor, the same can be said of some of Boxhall's testimony as to what he was doing i{before the accident. Given the time it woukld take everything to happen, does anyone seriously believe he would emerge on to the boat deck at the time three bells are ringing....from the door to the officers quarters....and take so long to cover the approximately 60 or so feet to the bridge that he wouldn't arrive on the bridge until after the accident had run it's course?

Even in the dark, I can cover that distance in about 7 to 10 seconds.

"I know this will rankle many people, but Boxhall's testimony about what Murdoch said to Captain Smith could only be hearsay from a third party."

Unless Boxhall subsequently had a conversation with or overheard another's conversation with Murdoch.

Hey, Dave, please don't send Michael after me, unless he happens to bring some of those Fried Green Pickles and that homemade Strudel along with a tall draft from Tony Packo's.

Hi Paul. Just wondering where did you get that particular Boxhall quote from? The two references from the inquiries that I show have Boxhall saying the following:

Boxhall at American Inquiry:

The captain said, "What have we struck?" Mr. Murdoch, the first officer, said, "We have struck an iceberg." ...He followed on to say - Mr. Murdoch followed on to say, "I put her hard astarboard and run the engines full astern, but it was too close; she hit it."...Mr. Murdoch also said, "I intended to port around it."..."But she hit before I could do any more."...Mr. Murdoch continued to say, "The water-tight doors are closed, sir."...and the captain asked him if he had rung the warning bell...He said, "Yes, sir."

Boxhall at the British Inquiry:

The Captain was alongside of me when I turned round...he asked him [Murdoch] what we had struck...The First Officer said, "An iceberg, Sir. I hard-a-starboarded and reversed the engines, and I was going to hard-a-port round it but she was too close. I could not do any more. I have closed the watertight doors." The Commander asked him if he had rung the warning bell, and he said "Yes."

In either case, Paul, it is not what Murdoch said, but what Boxhall said that Murdoch said. As David said, it is hearsay from a third party. Other than Boxhall, there is no mention by either Olliver or Hichens of this particular part of the Smith/Murdoch conversation that included reversing engines or wanting to port around which came between telling Smith that they hit an iceberg and Smith asking about the watertight doors.

Hichens at American Inquiry:

The skipper came rushing out of his room - Capt. Smith - and asked, "What is that?" Mr. Murdoch said, "An iceberg." He said, "Close the emergency doors."...Capt. Smith, sir, to Mr. Murdoch; "Close the emergency doors." Mr. Murdoch replied, "The doors are already closed." The captain sent then for the carpenter to sound the ship.

Hichens at British Inquiry:

Just about a minute, I suppose, after the collision, the Captain rushed out of his room and asked Mr. Murdoch what was that, and he said, "An iceberg, Sir," and he said, "Close the watertight door."...The Captain immediately gave him orders to close the watertight doors. He said, "They are already closed." He immediately then sent for the carpenter to sound the ship.

Olliver at American Inquiry:

When he [the captain] first came on the bridge he asked the first officer what was the matter, and Mr. Murdoch reported, sir, that we had struck an iceberg, and the captain ordered him to have the water-tight doors closed, and Mr. Murdoch reported that the water-tight doors were closed...The captain [then] gave me orders to tell the carpenter to go and take the draft of the water.

One of few instances that Olliver and Hichens agreed with each other. Notice they both have Smith asking what did they strike, they both then have Smith asking about the watertight doors, and then they both have Smith then asking for the carpenter to found. Boxhall, however, feels the need to fill the middle of this conversation with such details as Murdoch telling Smith about going hard-astarboard, reversing engines, and wanting to port around but being too late.

In further testimony, Hichens said he didn't know what engine orders were given, and later denied ever receiving an order to go hard-aport. Olliver said the only engine orders he knew about was Smith ringing down ahead-half sometime after the collision had taken place, and that he heard Murdoch give a hard-aport order after he saw the berg pass aft of the bridge.

So to answer your question Paul, "Was Murdoch lying, mis-quoted, mis-heard or something else?" My bet is that Murdoch never said anything about helm or engine orders or wanting to port around when Smith came onto the bridge. If Boxhall heard any details such as those it may have been when he, Murdoch and Smith went onto bridge wing to see if they could see the iceberg astern, assuming that is what they did then. The only elements of Boxhall's story about those details that lines up with other testimony is Hichens' saying that he received a hard-astarboard order from Murdoch. I could not exactly include Olliver's hearing a hard-aport order as lining up with Boxhall's account since Boxhall said he "intended to" or "was going to" hard-aport round it, not that he did order a hard-aport.

Interesting that Boxhall never mentions Murdoch actually order hard-aport. I could understand why Hichens would want to deny hearing it, but Boxhall just never said he heard it. Since we know from a few others that the ship did indeed turn to the right following the collision and was heading northward when it stopped, a port helm order had to have been issued especially since the berg was last seen slewing off the starboard quarter by a number of people.

>>Hey, Dave, please don't send Michael after me, unless he happens to bring some of those Fried Green Pickles and that homemade Strudel along with a tall draft from Tony Packo's. <<

Sorry Sam, but I get the draft, you get the position on the slave galley. (You can have the fried green pickles though!)

Here's one from the bleachers.

Isn't it just possible that after Hichens put the wheel hard over, he kept it there, awaiting orders? Meanwhile, Titanic ran her way off, while turning through about 270 degrees.

Dave G.-- I also suspect from the later evidence of the ship facing northward (which the bow still does) that Hichens kept right rudder on after impact until the way ran off. Later, the ship steamed some never-recorded direction and stopped. Most likely, it went northward.

--David G. Brown

David G. You said
quote:

Isn't it just possible that after Hichens put the wheel hard over, he kept it there, awaiting orders? Meanwhile, Titanic ran her way off, while turning through about 270 degrees.

The question is one of probability, not possibility. We have this of course from Scarrott:

Her stern was slewing off the iceberg. Her starboard quarter was going off the icebergs, and the starboard bow was going as if to make a circle round it.

The Commissioner: You must be a little more particular about this, and make me understand it.
Mr. Butler Aspinall: I think what he means is that she was acting - correct me if I am wrong.

The Witness: Yes.

356. She was acting as if under port helm, her head going to starboard? - That is correct.

I'll put my money on the eye witness.​

Hi Sam.

You said: "Hi Paul. Just wondering where did you get that particular Boxhall quote from?"

Honestly? I paraphrased it from memory (and got it wrong!). I should have made it clear that it wasn't a direct quote, or else taken the time to look up the wording used.

Thanks - Sam and Dave - for your answers and I do see Sam' point about Murdoch's alleged comment to Smith being just hearsay. It's interesting how this phrase has become almost taken as gospel by those (like me!) who haven't read the complete Inquiries' minutes. The trouble is, no-one can prove a negative so there is still a possibility that Boxhall was indeed quoting Murdoch accurately (with all the problems that creates when trying to work out what Murdoch actually did). He was, after all, there at the time. ;-)

I see your point Dave, but his testimony is also consistent with Olliver's claim that Murdoch ordered hard aport as the berg was going aft along the starboard side, and consistent with Shiers sighting of the berg off the starboard quarter just before it disappeared aft as the ship was still drifting to a stop.

Nobody can claim how much night vision Scarrott had or did not have not knowing precisely where he was and the lighting conditions there in the moments before coming topside. In his testimony he only said that he was "just about the forecastle-head." He later said he was underneath the forecastle enjoying a smoke at the time, which tells us what he was doing, not exactly where under the forecastle deck he was.

Both Daves-Now you've got me curious. What was the last recorded compass reading entered into the log prior to the collision? They know they are in collision, and engaged in some type of turn to starboard at approx. that time. Making it simple for example, say port beam is 180 and starboard is 0. You're in a moment of crisis; you might swing through 90 degrees almost without note if enough else is going on, and if all you're trying to do is stop the ship-it's open ocean so who cares in which direction you stop. I would think they had a pretty good idea that they had at least some damage and brought her to a stop as quickly as possible. You don't move back to your original course and then stop.

Back