How Many Dogs Survived?

thanks michael, In the book of Walter Lord ANTR, he told about cows ( 1 or 2) on the Titanic to provide fresh Milk. This Paragraph is in the last part of his book. On the way, about the Kennels , there are two versions. First ) the Kennels was on the boat Deck and the second on F Deck.

Cows on the Titanic? That's a new one on me. Seems a bit impractical too given the hotel demands of providing for over 2200 people.

A typical loadout for an Olympic class liner included 1500 gallons of fresh milk in the refrigerated stores. You might want to check the list of provisions that's reproduced in the 2cnd edition of Eaton & Haas "Titanic, Triumph & Tragedy" on page 57. It's impressive.
wink.gif

It's on page 193 of the illustrated edition of ANTR, but it's not quoted as a fact. It's given as an example of the exaggerated claims made for the ship by survivors. Lord mentions the herd of cows, regulation tennis courts and a golf course. Some even said that she was far larger than Olympic.

I realized nobody posted here since 2002 but I think the general title is the most appropriate. I'm crazy to know how the pets (dogs and cats) were treated on board. Were the first class passengers allowed to keep them in their staterooms or did they have to pass the night in the kennel? I suppose the maids and valets were responsible to clean up all the dirty things they left and treat them! What type of food did a dog (and a cat for instance) eat in this age?

Best, João

I'm aware of passengers being allowed to keep their pets in their cabins but as to what they were fed, I suspect that they may have been offered helpings of whatever was on their owners plate.

According to the Pet Food Instutute, the first commercially available pet food was a dog biscuit which was first introduced in England around 1860. I doubt it was all that widespread although the article at Pet Food Institute - History indicates that the Spratt Company did quite well selling pet foods to English country gentlemen for their sporting dogs.

This came up in a pub quiz and I wanted to check the answer given. I found however a number of inconsistencies in my research with various answers giving 2/3/4 even 5. I know it's probably on here somewhere but have looked and not found the answer. Can anybody tell me the exact number of dogs which survived?

For your further edification, Malc, their owners were Margaret Hays (Pomeranian), Henry Sleeper Harper (Pekinese) and Elizabeth Rothschild (I think also a Pomeranian but not sure).

Many thanks chaps. The answer given in the quiz was only 2 and someone won £50 on the back of it.

Pints waiting for you in the White Hart, Chalfont St Peter.

Back