Excellent posts by you all.
Even if the disaster could have been avoided by something as insignificant as the lookout actually having his binoculars and happening to spot yonder berg in plenty of time,
Or Captain Edward Smith deciding to not test fate by powering full steam through potential iceberg hazards;
Or a major set of circumstances that changed history.
They're all still "what if's", because Titanic did go down and took 1513 in the tragedy.

Actually, the captains at the time would do that to get out of icefield, it was a normal practice it seems and binoculars wouldn't have helped that much. Not every boilers were on on titanic too.

Actually, the captains at the time would do that to get out of icefield, it was a normal practice it seems and binoculars wouldn't have helped that much. Not every boilers were on on titanic too.

Correct. My understanding, which comes largely from the testimony of the other ship commanders during Titanic's hearings, is that ships of the time would not slow down in the reported vicinity of ice when the weather was fair and visibility good. The reason that was given is that in the vast majority of cases, absent some weather phenomena that reduced visibility, ice can be seen at a minimum of 5 miles away from a ship even at night; thus the idea was that any ship in the reported vicinity of ice would have plenty of time to alter course, and then slow down, once ice had been spotted.

Of course, the night Titanic struck ice the conditions were such that ice could not be spotted at such a distance despite the fair weather conditions. This is largely because of the new moon, and more importantly the absolute flat calm of the North Atlantic on that evening. That flat calm sea aided by the absolute lack of wind, all of which again I take just from the testimony given was a extremely rare phenomena, prevented Titanic's officers and lookouts from being able to identify ice by the breaking of waves against the ice.

As for binoculars, these were of limited use. I am not a mariner, but even I understand the role of binoculars. They are used to identify the detail in a thing a person has already spotted with the naked eye. Therefore, either one of the officers on watch or the lookouts would have to have seen the ice with their naked eyes first before employing the binoculars; and, for whatever reason, the testimony of Titanic's lookouts is one bit of testimony I actually trust implicitly--Fleet reported the ice the moment he realized that he was indeed looking at ice directly in Titanic's path.

Edit.

The single ended boilers in boiler room number one were not lit. The testimony of Ismay leads one to believe that they were to have been lit on Monday, which is the day of the run that Titanic had planned to try to make her fullest possible speed; that said, I have always wondered about this because my impression has always been that the single ended boilers were only used while the ship was in port, and did not even have a system for expelling the coal ash that was present in Titanic's other boilers.

Double Edit

The fact that Ismay knew this at all, or had any conversations with Smith or Bell about the operation of the ship puts serious doubt in my mind about the veracity of White Star Line's legal defense regarding Titanic. Of course, that's just based on Ismay's testimony, but I think it is fair to assume Ismay was far more involved in the navigation of Titanic, and quite possibly what happened to her after the collision with ice, than he, White Star Line, or the IMM would ever have admitted to.

Last edited:
I read that while finnishing mark chirnside verry good book. I recall seeing testimonies from other captain who'd do the same thing (the portrayal of smith as incompetent does bother me, same with him being said to be the sole responsible for the sinking, while he was the captain, titanic is a much more complex thing than that just smith or ismay being bad). I'm waiting for "on a sea of glass", it should arrive at the end of the month, it'll be interesting to see how that book talk about the break up and the sinking (currently also going through antoine resche book on the ship, it's a good french source so far)

Back