Here is a photo of Olympic's center propeller area. The light colored object is a zinc sacrificial anode plate applied to the sternpost. Above it is a smaller rectangular zinc plate. Additionally there were narrow zinc strips applied to the forward end of the rudder. What you really can't see clearly in this photo is that on the upper and lower surfaces of the center propeller aperture, a narrow zinc strip was applied. This was the extent of the sacrificial zinc anodes which were applied.
View attachment 49641
Thanks, Bob. Here is a colourised and extended version of that picture. If the colours are true, it shows the colour of the anti fouling paint.
92efc571853914fdefffda265984f859 (1).jpg

“If the colors are true...”. You can’t identify color shades from a black and white photo. And you can take that to the bank.
Mr. Read, I have no doubt you are a talented historian. A smart one at that. But Bob, several photos of Olympic show her hull a dark red.
Those are just colors that Anton Logvynenko made up and applied to a black and white photo. They have no historical connection to Titanic.
how did he make them up though? every film and media has her bottom painted red. Even the Nazis had the AF painted red. I will admit, I don't know how colorizing black and white photos works.

If you had read my article you would have seen color photos of antifouling paint on Titanic’s propeller which has not been affected by rust. What you also are unaware of is the effect of blue sensitive black and white film of the era on colors. Considerable more study would benefit you greatly.

I did read it, I remember being quite amazed in seeing red paint visible on the propeller shafts (were the port and starboard called something else?)
I think not of it me having way lesser expertise in one area, I prefer to get everything I can get my hands on when it comes to Titanic. Some things, like the production of Anti-Fouling paint, I was not aware was a very important one. I will try to expand my corner in that.

Those are just colors that Anton Logvynenko made up and applied to a black and white photo. They have no historical connection to Titanic.

This is the problem with all the pictures that are being coloured by people and spread about like widfire on social media etc- some of them may look really good (and also, some are frankly terrible) but in no way can they be taken as any kind of fact.

I guess your right. Some look better than others too. My desktop wallpaper is Titanic leaving Queenstown. It does look beautiful in color this one, IMO

If you had read my article you would have seen color photos of antifouling paint on Titanic’s propeller which has not been affected by rust. What you also are unaware of is the effect of blue sensitive black and white film of the era on colors. Considerable more study would benefit you greatly.
could Olympic have red paint and Titanic's was a lighter red/pink?
Olympicincolour1b.jpg
e1175a37fa0f02978434145d6dff6b0c.jpg

(Olympic's hull being towed after being scrapped)
I know you said colored photographs are unreliable, but these are the only things we have to show the color of her paint. I am not saying these are definitely right.

For the umpteenth time: Black and white photos tell you nothing about color and even more so blue sensitive black and white film. But feel free to make up anything you want.

For the umpteenth time: Black and white photos tell you nothing about color and even more so blue sensitive black and white film. But feel free to make up anything you want.
I'm not making anything up! Bob, I was asking, what is the color of Olympic's anti-fouling paint? I even say:
I am not saying these are definitely right
Or, is Titanic's around that color? I did not say "These colored photographs are the best and should be taken as fact." What am I making up?? I thought I only asked a question about the red paint on Olympic!

Last edited:
What I am saying is that you are free to invent any color that makes you happy. Just don’t call them historical.
I never invented these. I found them.
I never said these were 100% accurate. I never said they were accurate at all.
I never called them "historical"
Simply wanted the photos as a base/basis for the question I asked!

Back