Ken Marschall vs Simon Fisher breakup painting

Hi Dan

Thanks for the picture posted here. As for mine, most of my old books are at present packed away in crates and so cannot be accessed. Our house is on the market and as soon as it is sold my wife and I plan to downsize somewhere near the coast. In preparation for that we have started packing, selling etc. Of course, I'll never sell any of my book collection.

I can tell you that the pictures are the same Jack Thayer sketches that we all know so well.
Arun, could you please tell me the title of the children's encyclopedia book you have that features the Titanic so I could maybe order my own copy of it from Amazon?

That's ok if it's rare. I already have many books and the complete Golden Book History of the United States set that I posted the photo of the Titanic painting from. I don't really need the Arthur Mee children's encyclopedia if it's the same Thayer drawing we know so well like you said it is.

By the way, the Golden Book History of US set is available on Amazon here if you want to order it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UEH7E6/?tag=encyclopediatita

You can also order each volume of the 12-volume set separately on Amazon, as they were initially released separately, just like you said the Arthur Mee encyclopedias were.

Can you please post some photos here of the sinking/breakup illustrations in the first edition of Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy if you have a copy of the book? Also, the famous Thayer drawing shows the stern swinging around after the breakup as well. The breakup drawing also shows the bow briefly surfacing again; which probably didn't actually happen. :D

View attachment 43831
If you read the book On A Sea Of Glass it mentions the bow recovered momentarily after returning from a port list to an even keel, from a certain distance it would look like the bow rose out of the water.

Can you please post some photos here of the sinking/breakup illustrations in the first edition of Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy if you have a copy of the book? Also, the famous Thayer drawing shows the stern swinging around after the breakup as well. The breakup drawing also shows the bow briefly surfacing again; which probably didn't actually happen. :D

View attachment 43831
If you read the book On A Sea Of Glass it mentions the bow recovered momentarily after returning from a port list to an even keel, from a distance it would look like the bow rose out of the water.

Back