Kotheimer: is the story true?

A booklet of Lenten reflections says that a Catholic priest, Ralph Kotheimer, booked passage on the Titanic but was refused (by the White Star Line?) permission to say daily private Mass, so he canceled his ticket and traveled on the Rhyndam instead. A Google search for Kotheimer + Rhyndam turned up about 5 results, with some of them having identical text and one (that's Google for you) not mentioning Kotheimer at all. It sounds doubtful to me that saying private Mass, presumably in his cabin, would be forbidden, but maybe he had a third-class ticket and so did not have a private cabin? Also, I could find nothing about the Rhyndam. Is there any truth to the story?

The story about Rev Kotheimer having booked a passage on the Titanic (some sources say a few family members were also booked with him) and then cancelling to re-book on the Rhyndam appears on several web sources and so there is a chance that it is true......at least to that extent. But if that was indeed the case, I strongly suspect that there was more to the reason for the cancellation than simply WSL's refusal to allow the priest to say a private Mass. He probably made demands related to arranging the Mass that WSL were unable to accommodate due to their ongoing policies. One wild guess (and no more) is that Rev Kotheimer might have asked to hold his Mass with Catholic passengers from all 3 classes were invited to attend and in part of the ship where the steerage complement were not normally allowed.

Most sources quoting the Kotheimer story simply say that WSL refused to allow him a room for the daily Mass and not that it had to be "private".

I did a search too and like Mr. Dunham only found a few hits on the subject. Probably the same one's he saw. I wasn't going to mention it as I didn't find anything else on Ralph Kotheimer related to Titanic. A few news items from later in his career popped up but not Titanic. But I did run across something else about Father Browne that I didn't know or had not remembered it. In the article he said he recieved a simple 5 word message from his superior while in Cobb. It said "Get off of that ship". He said he carried the message in his wallet the rest of his days. Cheers.

The National Catholic Register has a new article about another priest passenger, Father Byles. I don't know how accurate the article is, but it says that Father Byles, a second-class passenger, said Mass for the people in third class.

I don't know how accurate the article is, but it says that Father Byles, a second-class passenger, said Mass for the people in third class.
Can it be that Father Byles, if he indeed said Mass for steerage passengers, went down himself to the Third Class areas to do so rather than have any of the passengers come up to Second Class? If so, there would not have been on-board mixing of passengers from various classes (except the priest himself, of course), something that was enforced under WSL policy.

I don't know how accurate the article is, but it says that Father Byles, a second-class passenger, said Mass for the people in third class.
Can it be that Father Byles, if he indeed said Mass for steerage passengers, went down himself to the Third Class areas to do so rather than have any of the passengers come up to Second Class?
I've done a wee bit of research on this and it appears to be correct. Father Byles' biography on the site states:

"On the morning of Sunday 14 April Father Byles held the Catholic mass with second class passengers in their lounge and afterwards with the third class passengers for whom Fr Byles delivered a sermon in English and French, Fr Peruschitz followed with a sermon in German and Hungarian."

I have not been able to find an actual source for that reference, however. I am still looking, unless someone else knows and beats me to it.

Although survivor Agnes McCoy reports seeing Father Byles in third class, after the collision:

"I first saw Father Byles in the steerage," said Miss McCoy. "There were many Catholics there, and he eased their minds by praying for them, hearing confessions and giving them his blessing. I later saw him on the upper deck reading from his priest's book of hours. Survivors, especially a young English lad, told me later that he pocketed the book, gathered the men about him and, while they knelt, offered up prayer for their salvation."

New York Telegram, April 22, 1912
Sourced from Father Thomas Byles of the Titanic

Last edited:
On the morning of Sunday 14 April Father Byles held the Catholic mass with second class passengers in their lounge and afterwards with the third class passengers for whom Fr Byles delivered a sermon in English and French, Fr Peruschitz followed with a sermon in German and Hungarian
Reading that sentence, it does not specifically say where on the ship Father Byles held Mass for Third Class passengers. At first glance it might appear as though Fr Byles remained in the Second Class Lounge (the 'library') after their Mass and the steerage passengers arrived there next, IMO it is very unlikely. That sentence could also mean (and I believe that it does) that after completing holding mass for the Second Class passengers in their lounge, Fr Byles then went down into Third Class to hold another mass for the Catholics there (probably in the "General Room").

A booklet of Lenten reflections says that a Catholic priest, Ralph Kotheimer, booked passage on the Titanic but was refused (by the White Star Line?) permission to say daily private Mass, so he canceled his ticket and traveled on the Rhyndam instead. A Google search for Kotheimer + Rhyndam turned up about 5 results, with some of them having identical text and one (that's Google for you) not mentioning Kotheimer at all. It sounds doubtful to me that saying private Mass, presumably in his cabin, would be forbidden, but maybe he had a third-class ticket and so did not have a private cabin? Also, I could find nothing about the Rhyndam. Is there any truth to the story?
This was from the comments section of the article below. Don't know if it helps your search but I'll post it anyway. Might be from the same booklet you quoted.
Another Titanic story.....this one taken from "The Little White Book: Six Minute Reflections on the Sunday Gospels of Easter".

"A young seminarian from Youngstown, Ohio named Ralph Kotheimer, was sent by his bishop to study theology in Mainz, Germany. He was ordained after completing his studies on March 4, 1912 and he had booked passage on the Titanic for his return home. Before boarding he checked to see if he could celebrate Mass privately each day of the voyage. Permission was denied. Although Fr. Kotheimer had looked forward to sailing on the maiden voyage of this magnificent new ship, he gave up his place and booked passage on the Rhyndam.

It was only when he landed in the U.S. that he learned of the Titanic disaster. He went directly to St. Patrick's Cathedral to celebrate Mass...his first on U.S. soil....and to ask God's blessings for those who lost their lives aboard the ship he was supposed to be on."

Reading that sentence, it does not specifically say where on the ship Father Byles held Mass for Third Class passengers.
I'm aware of that. As you said, it makes far more sense that Father Byles went down to the third class area, for various reasons. But most importantly, third class was not allowed in second class areas, nor first class for that matter.

That sentence could also mean (and I believe that it does) that after completing holding mass for the Second Class passengers in their lounge, Fr Byles then went down into Third Class to hold another mass for the Catholics there (probably in the "General Room").
My thinking as well, when reading that.

Also
Also there is a record of him arriving in the U.S. But I'm not a member of the site. Maybe someone here is and could look it up for you. Cheers.

Before boarding he checked to see if he could celebrate Mass privately each day of the voyage. Permission was denied.
Pardon my ignorance on these matters but as an Agno-theist I don't follow any particular religion (though I was raised as Hindu) and know very little about various religious practices. What exactly is a "Private Mass"? To my mind, it sounds like saying one's prayers privately. If that was all that Rev Kotheimer wanted, why did he have to ask permission in the first place and when he did, why would it be denied?

The only reason I can think of is that he might have wanted to be alone at the time and if that was the case, surely it would have been easier to speak to the Purser for access into one of the many unused cabins or even negotiate with his roommate?

If that question is directed to me I had to go look it up as I wasn't sure. From what I gathered yes it was private without a congregation. But could apply to other circumstances as well. I"ll provide the link I read. But maybe someone else knows more about it as I haven't been associated with it since before Vatican II. Back when it was still in Latin. I think it boiled down to WSL couldn't provide or guarantee a private space. I've read of the religious strife in the shipyards of Belfast during Titanic's time but I don't know how WSL handled that or if they even had an official position or preference about it. Being that they were in business to make money they were probably more interested in pleasing Mammon but that is just speculation on my part. Cheers.

I've read of the religious strife in the shipyards of Belfast during Titanic's time but I don't know how WSL handled that or if they even had an official position or preference about it
Thanks Steven. I have read about the slight "anti-Catholic ethos" on board WSL ships but was not sure of this was true because there were plenty of Catholic employees. In the rather poorly made TV documentary Saving the Titanic, an Irish Catholic steward named Kelly is repeatedly ribbed for his religious beliefs (which he was not stressing upon) with remarks that the Titanic was essentially a protestant ship or something like that.

So, if WSL refused permission for Rev Kotheimer to hold a Private Mass, could it have been fears that it could have caused offence among non-Catholics?

Thanks Steven. I have read about the slight "anti-Catholic ethos" on board WSL ships but was not sure of this was true because there were plenty of Catholic employees. In the rather poorly made TV documentary Saving the Titanic, an Irish Catholic steward named Kelly is repeatedly ribbed for his religious beliefs (which he was not stressing upon) with remarks that the Titanic was essentially a protestant ship or something like that.

So, if WSL refused permission for Rev Kotheimer to hold a Private Mass, could it have been fears that it could have caused offence among non-Catholics?
I'm really not sure of the reason. I think it was most likely a space issue as they couldn't guarantee him a private area. From what little I read it was his decision to change ships not WSL I never read of any religious troubles aboard the ship. From what I understand 3rd class had members from all the major religions and probably some of the lesser known ones. They were probably just happy to get to go to America. Most for economic opportunity but some might have been seeking religious freedom like the original pilgrims. Too bad it didn't work out for them.

I 've been looking for information about this topic, but as mentioned above, there is not very much to find on the internet. The only thing I would like to point out that is that 'Rhyndam' should be spelled Rijndam or Ryndam USS Rijndam (ID-2505) - Wikipedia a ship in service for the Holland-America line.
As for his motivation or ambition to celebrate Mass on Titanic, I can only give my opinion.

I think that Mr Kotheimer, as a freshly ordained priest was in need for a parish. In those days, there were more priests than nowadays and all had a kind of assistant priests at their disposal in the parish. I bet it was tough for Mr K. to find a parish and so he tried his luck to be chaplain on an ocean liner. WSL wasn't perhaps very warm to have a RC priest in their service, refused and thus Mr Kotheimer cancelled his tickets and booked another ship.
If otherwise, Mr K. cancelled because he couldn't have a Private Mass during his journey to the States, then he must have had rather strong beliefs and having wanted to take the lead in the celebration of holy Mass solely by himself (I'm sure WSL would have pointed out that some colleagues would be taken care of it during the voyage). I can hardly imagine him wanting to cancel and rebook tickets he already purchased for this reason only, knowing his mother and sister would be travelling with him as well. But again: those are my opinions, I'm trying to analyse.

What concerns the rituals of wanting to say the Mass, it is rather complicated, as mentioned above, until the 1960's it was a tridentine mass Tridentine Mass - Wikipedia, whole in Latin, the priest not facing the crowd, a lot of praying, standing up from the benches and sitting down every 10 minutes or so. Furthermore the priest needed a lot of communion bread (1pp) and some wine (only for him) to perform some rituals, and I don't know if Mr. K. would have taken care of those logistic issues.

Anyway, it would be nice to know if he got what he was looking for on the Rijndam (He got some parishes after all). And I find him very lucky to not have boarded the Titanic. I think he was too. It 's a nice colourful history. I hope to hear more of it.

Back