Lightoller BBC interview

quote:

Because as indicated above, it makes for a good story.
Yeah it does at that. Jim Kalafus has a picture of Cat sunning itself on the pipe of the Lusitania during the voyage before the last voyage. A Lady is sitting next to him. We think it might be Dowie. I just remembered that he sent me a copy. Thanks again Jim. I'll ask if I can post a pic of just Dowie. He might be using the photo for an article?​

Hi George

Jim and I saw the most unusual thing aboard the QM2. They sold replicas of brave cats lost at sea in the gift shop. Sad, but true. Yes, the cat photo is a nice one aboard the Lusy. it looks very content.

Mike

Hi Mike, Jim told me about that. Stuffed Cats who'd died in the line of duty. Weird! But interesting too.

quote:

Yes, the cat photo is a nice one aboard the Lusy. it looks very content.
I hope Jim will let me post just the Kitties' picture. If it was Dowie I hope the little fella did get of before the ship was torpedoed.​

Jim Kalafus says Mike Poirier and him will be using said photo which is Mike's and not Jim's. Sorry Mike, I should of asked you. But since Jim and Mike will be using the picture in their article, anybody who wants to see a photo of Dowie or the cat who might be Dowie will have to wait and read the said article. I gotten a bit of the article from Jim and it's fascinating. The pic of might be Dowie is fascinating so wait for the article. It'll be worth it.

Oh no problem George. It would have been splitting hairs to mention it was mine as it is a joint project of mine and I gave Jim full permission to do with it what he wished.

quote:

Oh no problem George.
I didn't think so just wanted to give credit where credit was do. Sometimes it's hard work finding those old photographs as you are probably aware. It's a lovely photo and you should be proud of having it.​

Haha-my brother's cat Meepers thinks she's a dog and chases her own tail a lot. I prefer dogs.
Lights sounds like he's been with Americans before of course-I noticed he's picked up some American slang of ours.

I've been reading and reading and reading about all things Titanic and how to contribute meaningfully to this forum.

I am from Chorley, like Lightoller, and this is what a modern Chorley accent sounds like. Obviously, Lights had been around the world and his voice reflects that in his interview. I do think that there are some 'Chorley' sounds in his accent, which to me sounds like it leans towards American rather than any accents found in Britain.

Modern Chorley Accent

Back