Second Cruise to the Wreck Site in 2012

From Time Newsfeed:

Would You Take a Replica Cruise of the Titanic's Maiden Voyage?
quote:

To mark the centennial of the Titanic’s sinking, a British company is offering a chance to reconstruct the ship’s fateful journey by traveling to the location where the ship sank.

Marketed towards relatives of those on board, as well as history buffs and those who are simply curious, Titanic Memorial Cruises has organized two voyages that will retrace the transatlantic journey.
More HERE

From Yahoo:

Titanic Anniversary Cruise Offers 50 Percent Discount
quote:

When it comes to famous voyages, the trip of the RMS Titanic is likely one of the most well-known in the history of the travel industry. While the voyage ended in catastrophe, a Titanic Memorial Cruise is retracing the exact route, and serving the same menu, to mark the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster, as reported by the Post Chronicle. While the Titanic Memorial Cruise is sold out, another 100th Anniversary Memorial Cruise from New York is offering cabins for 50 percent off, as reported by USA Today.
More HERE

Mike, I wouldn't go even if they flew me 1st Class from Sydney to New York. That's just how I feel. For those going, I don't have any issue.
Many I know have been offered a lecture berth and ALL have declined.
I see quite a few Titanic Historian's / Author's e.t.c are going; whether they got a 'freeby' or a 'discounted berth' for lecturing on the ship I don't know.
But I wish them a safe and enjoyable cruise as with the other passengers.

Mike, I wouldn't go even if they flew me 1st Class from Sydney to New York.

Well, I probably would, Steve - merely because I have never flown first-class in my life, and I'm sure it must be fun. However, I wouldn't get on the ship at the other end either. Largely because I just couldn't summon up the solemnity that I suspect the occasion will demand, at least when they get to the coordinates. Not 100 years later, and on a commercial cruise.

Think of the extra liquor sales at the bars aboard. Or, will the drinks be "on the house?" Will there be a special "Titanic" drink offered that day?

I think that when passengers disembark from these cruises, they may have some remorse. Will the tour operators? Probably not.

Yeah, maybe I'd take the 1st class ticket. Never travel 1st ticket before. When I fly I'm always in steerage . . ., or tail class.
But to be honest, the cruise thing just doesn't interest me Monica.

I think I would take a pass on this, even if I had the time and the money to afford it, but I don't begrudge it to anybody who wants to go. They have their way to commemorate this event and I have mine.

I must admit I'm not keen on all the ballyhoo of this particular anniversary but will never regret our trip to New York on the Queen Mary 2 two yeas ago. A cheap last minute offer came up which we couldn't refuse and my wife and I left Southampton in April 2010, ten days later than Titanic did in 1912. We experienced similar weather conditions to that of what Titanic must have experienced - without the Icebergs; the water temperature dropped to freezing as we approached the Grand Banks and going into New York under the Verrazano Bridge in the early hours was a wonderfull experience. The Captain announces at what time and how far you will be from the wreck site. I recollect we were 30 miles North with the nearest iceberg 100 miles away.

I can't really understand anyone in the Titanic community knocking the opportunity; there will be other years, so think on.

It's not a question of knocking the opportunity, Ernie. It's about the commercial aspect of the enterprise - and it could hardly be any different could it, let's be realistic? - and whether one can stand this sort of thing. I'd be absolutely no good at standing at the rail and throwing flowers into the sea in memoriam. I'm sorry everyone - and many of you won't understand this - I'd giggle. So I've never contemplated going, even though I've been asked.

I most certainly wouldn't want to offend others (which I would), and like Steve, I've never been attracted to cruises anyway.

But travelling aboard merchant ships which take just a few passengers .. oh yes. My sister has done it across the Atlantic, and had an absolute ball.

>>>>It's about the commercial aspect<<<<

I can understand that, Monica. I think also it would be just too much 'Titanic'. However much we are interested in the Titanic disaster, strange to say perhaps, but I'm not certain I would like to share the experience with other like minded enthuisiasts. We went on a scheduled transatlantic journey; my wife primarily for the experience of going into New York; for me the added bonus of replicating part of the journey made by Titanic.

From Maritime Matters:

British Maritime Heritage Cruise Aboard The MV MARCO POLO
quote:

U.K.-based Cruise and Maritime Voyages (CMV), operators of the 1965-built, 22,080 gt, 800 passenger MV MARCO POLO (ex ALEXANDR PUSHKIN), is promoting a special seven night cruise from Tilbury to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the TITANIC.
More with a photo of the Marco Polo HERE

>>It's about the commercial aspect of the enterprise - and it could hardly be any different could it, let's be realistic?<<

Indeed, and while we would like to think that some things must be seperate from money, really, very little is. We may begrudge some of the sappier aspects of this venture and maybe we should. The crocodile tears over an event which happened a century ago do come across as lame.

By the same token, let's not forget that the Titanic and every liner before, during, and since then has been quintessentially about making money. When we raise a toast to the grand ships, were celebrating a business venture.

Monica said, quote:- >>>>But travelling aboard merchant ships which take just a few passengers .. oh yes. My sister has done it across the Atlantic, and had an absolute ball.<<<

I had a look on the internet at passenger travel on merchant ships and apparently they generally keep the passenger numbers to twelve or below to avoid having to provide the services of a doctor on board. A major downside I would have thought, only twelve? "an absolute ball"? an absolute hell if you have 12 incompatible passengers. To cap it all you have to dine with the crew! (joke)

I'm currently reading Michael Palin's 'Around the World in 80 Days' in which he too takes passage on numerous merchantmen going his way, often sleeping in the (vacant) doctor's quarters. He seems to have fun, but then again with a film crew to keep the crew on their best behaviour and the might of the Beeb behind him, maybe it was somewhat manufactured fun.

Back