Titanic 2012

Well, so far Miles Morgan have Aldridge's Titanic auctions, and Peter Boyd Smith. Mike Cowlard has a lot more names...including mine....!

I'm on the Balmoral. I don't get on this site often enough to know which is the better cruise, but I'll live with my choice. We've already booked it and I am really looking forward to it! I'm hoping we can spend a day or two in Belfast before going to Southampton.

Marlene

I would definitley consider going for a cruise like this but the price seems really expensive. I am wondering if I could just either drive down to New York or St.John's/Halifax and take a boat from there to see where the Titanic sank. It would be cheaper and maybe someone might offer it.

Jacob, The QM2 starts her transatlantic season in April sailing between New York and Southampton.A transatlantic crossing aboard the QM2 is more affordable compared to the fares of the Fred Olsen Cruise Ship Balmoral which is being used for the Titanic Memorial Cruise.And there is the chance that the QM2 may sail at or close to the Titanic wreck site.Also at Southampton the QM2 does dock close to the berth that the Titanic was docked at. Regards,Jerry

I heard about the QM2 trip... but I'm just saying it would be cool if a ship company would just give us the option to sail from NYC, St.John's, or Halifax, just to the wreck site and then back. I'm willing to bet stuff like that will start to develop once it gets closer to the date

Maybe I could pay one of the fisherman in St.John's to take me out there. They would love the extra money!
happy.gif

The problem with sailing to the wreck site on April 15th is that there's so many Titanic fans, so we'll be like 2000 out there in the middle of the night and it won't exactly have the same ambience...

I think I'd enjoy a trip like that but it's just too expensive.

I can see where Frances is coming from. It would be a surreal experience and yet if you've got so many folks with you it isn't quite the same. Some things are better experienced by yourself.

From The Charlotte Examiner:

Titanic memorial Cruise to Feature Lectures
quote:

April of 2012 will mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking of RMS Titanic.

As reported here in October, there will be a memorial cruise to mark the anniversary. This cruise will follow the same course the Titanic took from the UK to the approximate place she sank. However, this cruise is scheduled to make stops in Nova Scotia to visit Titanic memorial and grave sites. The final leg of this cruise is New York City.
More at http://www.examiner.com/x-26764-Titanic-Examiner~y2010m1d24-Titanic-memorial-Cruise-to-Feature-Lectures

...and there are plans for another expedition to the wrecksite in 2012, this time travelling from Boston via Halifax. They will be rendezvousing with another ship that will be on site, with an ROV exploring the wreck itself. Incidentally, has anyone heard anything of Mike Cowlard's "Titanic Voyages" lately?

Paul is correct, and the trip staterooms are already being sold.

We will have an ROV on site for 6-8 days, and will link the live images to our ship, the Azamara JOURNEY.

Go to www.voyages-to-remember.com

Our trip offers something different than the trip leaving from Southhampton on an EXCELLENT ship at a much more reasonable rate. We have descendants of survivors who have committed, and more invitations are pending.

Bill

From Cruise Critic:

The Theme: Voyages! Titanic 2012
quote:
The Dates: April 10-18, 2012​
Details: If you can't fly to Southampton to retrace the voyage of the Titanic, you can still take part in commemorating it. On this eight-night cruise aboard Azamara Journey, you'll have the opportunity to sit in on lectures about everything from the ship's construction to the passengers and survivors...​

The cruise critic article was nice, here is another one:

usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?ak=88121.blog&type=blog

in USA Today, the online version

Frank Goldsmith will be on our trip with us. He is the son of "Frankie" Goldsmith, the grandson of Emily Goldsmith, and will tell stories about his father and grandmother.

Phil Gowan will be with us as well. Phil's knowledge of the passengers and crew is tremendous.

Back