Sundowner

Just came back from a wonderful weekend at the Titanic U.K. International's convention at Margate, England. Bob arranged for us all to go on Sundowner, which was a great thrill.

I will post a selection of photos I took as soon as can, and a link to my web site where I will posting all of them.

Regards

>>was wondering if the ship was being refurbished?<<

The curator of the museum was with our group and he confirmed it is being refurbished.

There were a couple more of the Dunkirk ships along side it having work done to them as well.

Regards.

It's reassuring to see that the restoration is still an ongoing thing. There was some concern a few years ago that the current owners might not be able to raise the funds needed to do the work. Considering that a number of historic vessels have ended up on the scrapheap in recent times for just that reason, it's nice to see that things are looking up here.

Yes, it's definitely a relief to read that she is being restored. It would have been absolutely heartbreaking if she was to be scrapped.

Terrific photos there, James. Thanks for sharing them.

Great photos, thanks so much for posting. I love that Sundowner is being taken care of. She is endlessly interesting to me, and I really want to visit her someday. So much history for a small craft.

Those are fantastic photos, James! For some reason, I missed them back in April when they were first posted. Glad the link was revived (thanks, Lucy!) so I had the opportunity to see the excellent work the maritime trust has done to preserve Lightoller's pride and joy for future generations.

Denise

East Kent Maritime Trust have a small book (60 pages) - Historical Study no 4 The Sundowner Story - I purchased (£2.50) this at the Ramsgate Maritime Museum. It's packed with info on Sundowner and the Dunkirk trip. For anyone interested in Sundowner it is well worth getting this.

James.

Which is a drag as I don't live nearby. I did however find plans for it online, but unfortunately it is incomplete as it only has one for the hull and nothing else. :/

Back