Surviving Lightoller Relatives

Hello Susan,
After getting no reply from Dennetts boatyard in Chertsey/Laleham Surrey on the river Thames about 8 miles away I went down there. To my surprise quite amaze the mount of old wooden ships Michael Dennetts had on the go for repairs. About 30, 6 from the Dunkirk days 3 in the water and 3 on land for repairs.
Unfortunately one of those is the Sundowner. I had quite along chat with Michael who is hell of nice man and gave me permission to take photos. The Sundowner owner has run out of money for the repairs. It looking like a bit of sad state at present. With the paint stripe of the hull looks like is in fair to good condition with some rot at the deck level. To stop further weather deterioration the boat is under cover. I couldn't get to the front of the boat hence the photos are from the stern. Michael thinks about a further half million would finish the repairs. (Any sponsors out there!) What really please me to see that we still have the old skill craftsmen from the past. He did mention there was Lightoller relative who live just across the river but hadn't seen for some time. So if you require any further information please let me know.
Hello, gosh amazing photographs! What an absolutely incredible find and I'm sure some people would be interested in funding the repairs but not the family. Kathleen left most of her money to the blind and I doubt Louise Patten would be interested as they are already surrounded by family history. Perhaps you might contact a museum to enquire about a willing sponsor? I'm not sure how these things work. Perhaps contacting a newspaper with your find? I certainly wish you luck and wouldn't Charles be so happy should his yacht sail again! Thanks so much for letting me know. Warmest regards from Susan

Hello Susan,
After getting no reply from Dennetts boatyard in Chertsey/Laleham Surrey on the river Thames about 8 miles away I went down there. To my surprise quite amaze the mount of old wooden ships Michael Dennetts had on the go for repairs. About 30, 6 from the Dunkirk days 3 in the water and 3 on land for repairs.
Unfortunately one of those is the Sundowner. I had quite along chat with Michael who is hell of nice man and gave me permission to take photos. The Sundowner owner has run out of money for the repairs. It looking like a bit of sad state at present. With the paint stripe of the hull looks like is in fair to good condition with some rot at the deck level. To stop further weather deterioration the boat is under cover. I couldn't get to the front of the boat hence the photos are from the stern. Michael thinks about a further half million would finish the repairs. (Any sponsors out there!) What really please me to see that we still have the old skill craftsmen from the past. He did mention there was Lightoller relative who live just across the river but hadn't seen for some time. So if you require any further information please let me know.

Great photos! You'd think the movie's producers would want to help out, wouldn't you?

Great photos! You'd think the movie's producers would want to help out, wouldn't you?
Not really. They have moved on. Plus, they are a business and have no obligations to finance things like this that don't concern them.

It would probably be for the best, if a museum could be found to keep Sundowner inside permanently. The craft is getting too old and fragile to be out on open water and exposed to the elements.

Hello Susan,
I will check with the boatyard if the hull is still sound for water condition. There is also a local film company Shepperton Studios only a few miles away I can only ask to.
Seasons Greetings
Mike.

Hello Susan,
I will check with the boatyard if the hull is still sound for water condition. There is also a local film company Shepperton Studios only a few miles away I can only ask to.
Seasons Greetings
Mike.
Hello Mike, Yes do, it's a great idea! Please let me know how you get on. . A museum probably won't pay sadly for the yachts reconstruction. Have you thought about a go fund me? You never know, there's many who care still to this day. Many would donate to such a wonderful cause I would hope. Happy New Year! Kind regards from Susan

The boatyard is close for now until next year. The Museum board shown in the photo is from the time when she was under Ramsgate control. However I will checkout sometime in January 2022.

The boatyard is close for now until next year. The Museum board shown in the photo is from the time when she was under Ramsgate control. However I will checkout sometime in January 2022.
I want to wish you good luck! Mostly everything is indeed closed until next year! Kind regards from Susan

Susan, were any of the Lightoller's you knew adherents of Christian Science ?

Charles Lightoller became interested in this controversial faith during the early 1900s, and was a convinced Christian Scientist by the time of the Titanic disaster. After WW1 he was briefly a political correspondent at Westminster for The Christian Science Monitor. By 1940 it would seem his attachment to the faith was either weak or he had abandoned it altogether.

Could you shed any further light on this ?

Susan, were any of the Lightoller's you knew adherents of Christian Science ?

Charles Lightoller became interested in this controversial faith during the early 1900s, and was a convinced Christian Scientist by the time of the Titanic disaster. After WW1 he was briefly a political correspondent at Westminster for The Christian Science Monitor. By 1940 it would seem his attachment to the faith was either weak or he had abandoned it altogether.

Could you shed any further light on this ?
Hello, Yes absolutely, his neice Kathleen. They were as a family heavily involved with Christian Science and they were Quakers! I hope that helps. Kind regards from Susan

Back