Surviving Lightoller Relatives

Hi Susan,
Seeing your post 14 living with Charles Lightoller niece. I am interested if you know the wear about of his yacht Sundowner. The last I heard was at the Dennetts boatyard at Chertsey Surrey for a major overhaul.

Hi Susan,
Seeing your post 14 living with Charles Lightoller niece. I am interested if you know the wear about of his yacht Sundowner. The last I heard was at the Dennetts boatyard at Chertsey Surrey for a major overhaul.
Hello, I don't know much I'm afraid. The yacht was mentioned within the family but that's all. It was in a museum at some stage. Another neice of his worked in the foreign office for many years, her name was Vera. We lived in Hampstead village with his other neice Kathleen. Kathleen died in 1998 at the age of 93. We spoke about Charles often but to be honest all the gossip about the Titanic annoyed this extremely private family hence nobody really knows much about their family. Also you may find it interesting that it was Kathleen and Vera's Mother who was a Lightholler by birth. It's such a personal thing for me to talk about and I knew the family rather than what's known by the general public. Kathleen was for a short time an opera singer. Kathleen was the only educated person that I've ever met, she was educated to the hilt by a governess and was naturally intellectual. We travelled to Africa, the South of France, Tenerife and other countries with Kathleen so I have many memories of that time. I never met Roger or his other son. I'm not sure if they were around at that time. Kathleen did mention the name of the yacht and we talked about the name. Interestingly Sylvia was never mentioned. I have no idea why not. Kathleen was very fond of Charles, that I do know. In my house today we speak about the family all the time in passing. We miss Kathleen very much, she was a Grandmother figure to me and a great grandmother to my son. Kathleen was the first person with my Mum to meet my newborn son. It's more the personality traits that I know about along with their family background as opposed to the yacht or Sylvia's letters. I hope this has helped a little. Kind regards from Susan

Hello, I don't know much I'm afraid. The yacht was mentioned within the family but that's all. It was in a museum at some stage. Another neice of his worked in the foreign office for many years, her name was Vera. We lived in Hampstead village with his other neice Kathleen. Kathleen died in 1998 at the age of 93. We spoke about Charles often but to be honest all the gossip about the Titanic annoyed this extremely private family hence nobody really knows much about their family. Also you may find it interesting that it was Kathleen and Vera's Mother who was a Lightholler by birth. It's such a personal thing for me to talk about and I knew the family rather than what's known by the general public. Kathleen was for a short time an opera singer. Kathleen was the only educated person that I've ever met, she was educated to the hilt by a governess and was naturally intellectual. We travelled to Africa, the South of France, Tenerife and other countries with Kathleen so I have many memories of that time. I never met Roger or his other son. I'm not sure if they were around at that time. Kathleen did mention the name of the yacht and we talked about the name. Interestingly Sylvia was never mentioned. I have no idea why not. Kathleen was very fond of Charles, that I do know. In my house today we speak about the family all the time in passing. We miss Kathleen very much, she was a Grandmother figure to me and a great grandmother to my son. Kathleen was the first person with my Mum to meet my newborn son. It's more the personality traits that I know about along with their family background as opposed to the yacht or Sylvia's letters. I hope this has helped a little. Kind regards from Susan
Roger Lightoller was killed in France not long before the end of the war.

At the time of his death he was attached to HMS Odyssey (a shore establishment) which was frequently involved with intelligence work.

Hello Susan,
Many thanks for your reply and is interesting to hear from a relative of such an great Officer on Titanic, and quite frankly did an amazing job to save so many lives. How he survived in that freezing water on the upturn lifeboat was quite something else. Then never reward as captain with WSL. What a rough bunch they where in those day. If was an relative to him I would be most proud of him.
As for the Sundowner boat I don't live too far away from Dennetts boat yard. I have left a message with them to call me back. If the boat is still there and can take photos I will and forward them on to you via ET.
Cheers.
Mike

Hello Susan,
Many thanks for your reply and is interesting to hear from a relative of such an great Officer on Titanic, and quite frankly did an amazing job to save so many lives. How he survived in that freezing water on the upturn lifeboat was quite something else. Then never reward as captain with WSL. What a rough bunch they where in those day. If was an relative to him I would be most proud of him.
As for the Sundowner boat I don't live too far away from Dennetts boat yard. I have left a message with them to call me back. If the boat is still there and can take photos I will and forward them on to you via ET.
Cheers.
Mike
Actually, that's not really surprising.

At least half of ships officers in those days never made it to captain. Lightoller would have been keenly aware of this.

There was no shortage of ships needing mates to navigate and keep watch, but there were a very limited number of vacancies for masters to command ships.

A tight bottleneck subsequently develops. Many lose out, but they accept it and move on.

That's what Lightoller did, he left the sea and tried his hand at new things like being a poultry farmer, a journalist, a broadcaster, guest house owner-manager and motor launch builder.

Roger Lightoller was killed in France not long before the end of the war.

At the time of his death he was attached to HMS Odyssey (a shore establishment) which was frequently involved with intelligence work.
Hello, yes that makes sense. Vera also worked in 11 Downing Street in the Foreign Office for years and never talked about the work that she did, it was considered top secret. Kathleen spoke exactly like the Queen as did Mavis and Julia. I would describe the family as educated, colonial and aristocratic. It's not something that is acceptable to some these days but I've never met a kinder, more generous, loving and concerned family in my life. My Mum became the daughter Kathleen never had. My Mum had a middle class background in that she was privately educated and was from a successful family in terms of business. Mum had been living in the Channel Islands before living with Kathleen. I was a young girl at that time. It's quite difficult to discuss the Lightholler family because we were so close to them. We all still love Kathleen and always will. Her birthday is on Burns night and we celebrate every year. It was a beautiful summers day in Hampstead when we spoke about the yacht, I remember it so clearly. We were all having lunch in the garden when we started to speak about Charles as we regularly did! Not much was said however I remember thinking about the journeys that Charles and Sylvia took on the yacht. Charles loved the sea! Just out of interest Kathleen was not happy about the film The Titanic in the nineties!

Hello, yes that makes sense. Vera also worked in 11 Downing Street in the Foreign Office for years and never talked about the work that she did, it was considered top secret. Kathleen spoke exactly like the Queen as did Mavis and Julia. I would describe the family as educated, colonial and aristocratic. It's not something that is acceptable to some these days but I've never met a kinder, more generous, loving and concerned family in my life. My Mum became the daughter Kathleen never had. My Mum had a middle class background in that she was privately educated and was from a successful family in terms of business. Mum had been living in the Channel Islands before living with Kathleen. I was a young girl at that time. It's quite difficult to discuss the Lightholler family because we were so close to them. We all still love Kathleen and always will. Her birthday is on Burns night and we celebrate every year. It was a beautiful summers day in Hampstead when we spoke about the yacht, I remember it so clearly. We were all having lunch in the garden when we started to speak about Charles as we regularly did! Not much was said however I remember thinking about the journeys that Charles and Sylvia took on the yacht. Charles loved the sea! Just out of interest Kathleen was not happy about the film The Titanic in the nineties!
That's very interesting Susan. And lovely to read that the Lightoller family were a decent bunch.

According to Inger Sheil (she is a fantastic Titanic historian) Lightoller stayed in touch with Joseph Boxhall (Titanic's fourth officer) for years after the disaster. Did you ever hear of his name being mentioned or even meet him ?

I don't suppose the name William Murdoch (Titanic's first officer who perished and who was Lightoller's friend) ever came up or that of Murdoch's widow, Ada ?

I do sympathise with Kathleen's reservation about the '97 film. Lightoller is wrongly portrayed as a bit of a cold, heartless type, which he certainly was not. And he is also portrayed speaking with quite a high and mighty RP voice, whereas audio recordings of his BBC broadcasts reveal he had rather a deep, gruff Lancashire accent.

That's very interesting Susan. And lovely to read that the Lightoller family were a decent bunch.

According to Inger Sheil (she is a fantastic Titanic historian) Lightoller stayed in touch with Joseph Boxhall (Titanic's fourth officer) for years after the disaster. Did you ever hear of his name being mentioned or even meet him ?

I don't suppose the name William Murdoch (Titanic's first officer who perished and who was Lightoller's friend) ever came up or that of Murdoch's widow, Ada ?

I do sympathise with Kathleen's reservation about the '97 film. Lightoller is wrongly portrayed as a bit of a cold, heartless type, which he certainly was not. And he is also portrayed speaking with quite a high and mighty RP voice, whereas audio recordings of his BBC broadcasts reveal he had rather a deep, gruff Lancashire accent.
I haven't heard of the people you mention unfortunately. I was a young lady so I may not remember if they were spoken about or not. Oh a lovely family absolutely! If you Google Kathleen Beryl Sleigh you will see that she set up charitable trusts. Actually it's Berry on her birth certificate and everyone called her Beryl? I don't think anyone realised. Every time I hear terrible things about the colonial I don't understand? I had a great great Uncle who was a deer stalker for the Royal Family in the wilds of Inverness and was given a house for life by a Lord. This was written about in the Oban Times and his name was James Henderson. Without connections to the wealthy I don't believe he would have had a home, nice clothes for hunting and good food! Charles has indeed been presented as a Northern working class orphan however his family history tells a completely different story although there's some truth in the story. Charles was a wonderful man and yes he had a Northern accent but his family had cotton fields and factories in Lancashire hence his accent. In these days of hating the wealthy I only have wonderful things to say about meeting those that I did. Also Kathleen lost both of her eyes in the war and was totally blind since the age of thirty six. I believe profoundly that had she had her sight she would still be charitable, kind, generous, sincere, honest and lovely! I'm delighted that you enjoy hearing about the Lightholler family, generally I don't speak about such things just because people really don't want to know about the priveliged! My Grandmother was a very successful baker and was able to educate my Mother. In those days they worked so hard to give their offspring benefits! Many thanks again for listening to my family history. I appreciate it very much.

Actually, that's not really surprising.

At least half of ships officers in those days never made it to captain. Lightoller would have been keenly aware of this.

There was no shortage of ships needing mates to navigate and keep watch, but there were a very limited number of vacancies for masters to command ships.

A tight bottleneck subsequently develops. Many lose out, but they accept it and move on.

That's what Lightoller did, he left the sea and tried his hand at new things like being a poultry farmer, a journalist, a broadcaster, guest house owner-manager and motor launch builder.
You may be right not enough ships for all captains to go around. But reading his comments in his book: Titanic and Other ships, after 20 years loyal service. Oh, you are leaving us, are you? Well, Good-bye! If to say they couldn't care a toss for his long term service with the company. A heartless bunch indeed.
What I see he was the only one to stand up in the inquiries to call them a complete farce and whitewash. Quite frankly he was right too. His war years record were most impressive to. A right little dare devil. Especially with the Dunkirk rescue with his little ship Sundowner never carry no more than 21, yet return back under Luftwaffe fire with 130 men. What a mazing man indeed.

#

You may be right not enough ships for all captains to go around. But reading his comments in his book: Titanic and Other ships, after 20 years loyal service. Oh, you are leaving us, are you? Well, Good-bye! If to say they couldn't care a toss for his long term service with the company. A heartless bunch indeed.
For all we know, Lightoller himself may not have wanted to stay in the path of highly talented younger men in the company. "Going ashore" would also mean he could devote more time to his large family.

As I say, Lightoller didn't hang around feeling sorry for himself, he wasn't that kind of person. As soon as he resigned from the WSL he began work as a fur importer (which ended badly) and as a journalist for the Christian Science Monitor.

There is also the little fact that thousands of British seamen had just been killed in the recent war. Nobody was really in the mood for sentiment at that time, and Lightoller would have been grateful he was still alive and could begin a new chapter in his life when many others could not.

Hello,
many very interesting stories were shared here. To the user related to the Lightollers (Susan 311), sorry to bother you with a question, but it seems like Charles Lightoller travelled a lot around the world. Do you know what he thought about other races (particularly the arabs and asians)? He lead such an adventurous life so I wondered what his impressions of other cultures and religions outside the europeans was.
Were you also in contact with his daughter Doreen who died in 2004?
You mentioned that the family was quiet colonial. What exactly is meant by that?

Hello,
many very interesting stories were shared here. To the user related to the Lightollers (Susan 311), sorry to bother you with a question, but it seems like Charles Lightoller travelled a lot around the world. Do you know what he thought about other races (particularly the arabs and asians)? He lead such an adventurous life so I wondered what his impressions of other cultures and religions outside the europeans was.
Were you also in contact with his daughter Doreen who died in 2004?
You mentioned that the family was quiet colonial. What exactly is meant by that?
Hello, I'm too young to have met Doreen. His neice was the same age as my Grandmother. Vera his neice also worked in the Foreign Office for many years. Vera lived in Hampstead with her sister and Vera died many years before Kathleen. The family had enormous wealth and owned cotton fields and factories. Charles would have treated everyone equally in terms of race just as Kathleen however everything would be dependent on good behaviour no matter what race people were. There's no question that everyone would have been treated with the up most respect. Colonialism simply means wealth made in the past from cotton, oil, coal ect. Kathleen had servants growing up and was educated at home by a governess. I hope this helps answer your question and thanks for your kindly interest. We lived with Charles neice for over ten years until she died. Kathleen was cremated and her gravestone is in Golders Green. Many thanks for listening to my story.

Hello, I'm too young to have met Doreen. His neice was the same age as my Grandmother. Vera his neice also worked in the Foreign Office for many years. Vera lived in Hampstead with her sister and Vera died many years before Kathleen. The family had enormous wealth and owned cotton fields and factories. Charles would have treated everyone equally in terms of race just as Kathleen however everything would be dependent on good behaviour no matter what race people were. There's no question that everyone would have been treated with the up most respect. Colonialism simply means wealth made in the past from cotton, oil, coal ect. Kathleen had servants growing up and was educated at home by a governess. I hope this helps answer your question and thanks for your kindly interest. We lived with Charles neice for over ten years until she died. Kathleen was cremated and her gravestone is in Golders Green. Many thanks for listening to my story.
thank you very much for kindly responding. I am really happy to find out that Charles really seemed to be a pleasant fella.
I wish you and your family all the best.

thank you very much for kindly responding. I am really happy to find out that Charles really seemed to be a pleasant fella.
I wish you and your family all the best.
Thank you very much. I'm happy that you now know about Charles a little in terms of his nature. He also did travel widely as all of his family did. We travelled with Kathleen often around the globe! Charles also travelled extensively in his yacht. I want to mention that Charles and Kathleen shared their wealth with people who struggled and also for charity. I have met Lady Louise Patten at Kathleen's funeral. Many kind regards and thanks for your interest.

Hello Susan,
Cheers.
Mike
Hello Susan,
After getting no reply from Dennetts boatyard in Chertsey/Laleham Surrey on the river Thames about 8 miles away I went down there. To my surprise quite amaze the mount of old wooden ships Michael Dennetts had on the go for repairs. About 30, 6 from the Dunkirk days 3 in the water and 3 on land for repairs.
Unfortunately one of those is the Sundowner. I had quite along chat with Michael who is hell of nice man and gave me permission to take photos. The Sundowner owner has run out of money for the repairs. It looking like a bit of sad state at present. With the paint stripe of the hull looks like is in fair to good condition with some rot at the deck level. To stop further weather deterioration the boat is under cover. I couldn't get to the front of the boat hence the photos are from the stern. Michael thinks about a further half million would finish the repairs. (Any sponsors out there!) What really please me to see that we still have the old skill craftsmen from the past. He did mention there was Lightoller relative who live just across the river but hadn't seen for some time. So if you require any further information please let me know.

Attachments

• Sundowner Museum Board.JPG
    Sundowner Museum Board.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
  • Sundowner General View under cover.JPG
    Sundowner General View under cover.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • Sundowner Portside.JPG
    Sundowner Portside.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • STARBOARD side.JPG
    STARBOARD side.JPG