Titanic 2012 Project

I wanted to share with everyone information that will be released soon in a press release regarding the efforts at the wreck site by the willTiger Corporation - in addition to the cruise partnering with Azamara leaving from Boston.

There are two main components of the project that should be of interest. First is the Scholastic Component. Our partners will join together to produce programs for 5 days prior to the anniversary and for 5 days afterwards, to be aired in subscribing schools and venues throughout the world. Each day will air prerecorded and edited programs covering many aspects of the Titanic story, from conception through the current state of recovery. Our challenge is to maintain appropriate story lines for our target audiences. We will establish a live feed each day, and allow pre-selected questions to be asked by students themselves via Skype or similar interactive linkup. We are still in the planning stages, and have interest from the US, Canada, Ireland, the UK, Australia and New Zealand schools so far, with a possibility to add Germany, Switzerland and Austria (we have Brigitte Saar and Gunter Babler, who would be honored to help translate this for their native countries). More in next post.

The schools will be able to download lesson plans in the core disciplines and appropriate for the grade levels based on National Standards. In addition to the pre-recorded footage will be images from the Titanic wreck taken from the ship on site. We hope to be able to link live to the cruise ship and historians there to join in the live portions and produce a one-of-a-kind documentary series of high quality. The producers we are working with are the ultimate of professionals, and are totally committed to accomplishing the goals we've set.

If you'd like to send me thoughts or comments privately, I'd welcome them. I'd appreciate your support of this effort, helping us to educate a new generation of young people in the topic that has captured our hearts and our passions.

The next component of our trip we are firmly in process with is the construction and preparation of The 2012 Titanic Memorial.

The 2012 Titanic Memorial is a museum piece of exquisite design. We've begun talks with a strongly recommended and experienced sculptor who has designed a boat deck scene, on a sloped boat deck, after the lifeboats are all "away". In the vignette are 8 life-sized bronze figures depicting several persons from Titanic's story that we know, and several that represent the many that were forced to stay on board.

Picture this in your mind:

You enter the museum room hosting the Memorial, and it is dark, except for spotlights highlighting the figures on the scene before you, lit in an ambient glow.

As you approach, your path is directed by theater rails to a small pedestal containing a quote that accents the scene before you. You move completely around the piece, reading more quotes on pedestals at each piece. Far away music is playing lightly in the background. You circle the Memorial, and as you exit there are three display boards recognizing those who have contributed to the project.

It is our desire to enlist endorsements from as many descendants as we can, and to begin work on this piece after the new year for it to be ready for unveiling at the return of the anniversary cruise, at an Unveiling Reception in Boston.

We hope for sponsors at all levels, and our goal is for this piece to travel the US for several years at different Titanic museums, then to retire it to a permanent home at a location to be decided. Several permanent homes have been suggested by our Titanic Memorial board members, and all of them are excellent suggestions.

We will need your support and help with this project. Please feel free to send comments and questions to me privately or to post them here. I'll try to answer them all.

The Memorial will be approximately 20-24 feet in length, have a width of 10 feet, and rise to the highest point of 10 feet. I look forward to your comments, and working with all of you to complete this tribute from our generation that will last for hundreds of years to come.

Bill

From BYM:

USA. School children worldwide to benefit from Titanic Cruise aboard Azamara Journey
quote:

The nearly 700 guests aboard Azamara Club Cruises’ Azamara Journey for the Titanic 2012 voyage, sailing from Boston on April 9. 2012, won’t be the only ones participating in programs focused on the ship RMS Titanic. Children in elementary and middle schools will be given a unique opportunity to view Titanic up close from their classrooms while learning about a pivotal event in history.
More at http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=78414

Comment: Frank Goldsmith and Bill Willard are both mentioned in this article!​

From The Belfast Telegraph:

It's taken 100 years, but at last our ship's coming in
quote:
It was a long time coming but it's finally happened. No, not the fact of the Titanic centenary, but rather the connection between the ship and the city where it was built.​

More HERE

It's necessary to remember the Titanic for what it was, and to take on that stance within a century of its demise is apropos. It took long enough; the myths that propagated became too influential over public consciousness.

When come April 14-15, 2012, I look forward to reading a memorial tribute to the ship and those who were aboard her. The only setback is that I won't be at the site. Then again, I really don't have to be. The Titanic--the REAL Titanic--will remain in my consciousness for some time to come.

Thanks for sharing, Mike.

From Yahoo:

Belfast, city that built the Titanic, hopes the ship's unsinkable appeal will draw tourists
quote:

BELFAST, Northern Ireland - To most of the world, the name Titanic means tragedy, spiced with romance, sacrifice and luxury. But in Belfast, where it was built, the doomed ship is a triumph of industry, enterprise and engineering.

The city hopes the rest of the world will soon see it that way, too.
More HERE

Back