Titanic Safety Speed and Sacrifice by George Behe

George,

Funny about the Dewski stuff. You must have quite a collection going. It's good to know that in lieu of that one-of-a-kind postcard, I can always rely on a Mountain Dew item as a gift!

As far as the Gracie material being of use, I'm tickled about that. It's not everyday that you get to surprise an expert with something new. Especially since I didn't know it was anything that special! I assumed you'd seen it.

Cathy,

It's not in the state secret category but as I gave the original to George (or sorta - we worked a deal!), it might be something he wants for his book.

This inquiring mind is also curious as to what was so special about it. I obviously didn't give it a good read-through.

My best to you both,
Randy

Hi, Cathy and Randy!

The thread in question is called "Time of Collision." The Gracie info (coupled with the times shown on various passenger and crew watches) leads me to believe that the Titanic struck the berg at 11:40 p.m. and that she may have gone down at 2 a.m. instead of at 2:20 a.m. (My data and reasoning are contained in my most recent posting on the above thread.)

All my best,

George

George shared with us: It was connected with my very first swig of Mountain Dew. The next morning I woke up lying in the gutter; fifteen empty Dewski bottles were scattered around me and I was clad in a mysterious carrot costume - origin unknown. (I've been going steadily downhill ever since; in fact, you'll have to pardon me while I head to the refrigerator for a moment -- I've got the shakes again.) :)

What George did not tell you was 'the untold story'! Before he wound up in the gutter in the 'carrot costume', he was at the local pub, dancing upon the table tops, with a lampshade on his 'carrot top', singing 'Do It To Me Mountain Dew!

Now I know what to get George for Christmas......Dewskie Stuff

During my Lord-Macquitty research, I found another example of ice warnings recieved and ignored:
http://www.paullee.com/titanic/scaldwell.html

- "three warnings" does not sound like "three rings on the bell" to me. There are of course, other things that Sylvia Caldwell heard which she could not have known about till later, for instance, the assertion about Astor, but getting the info from "the lookout" (Reginald Lee, Fleet's companion? He was in boat 13 with Caldwell too) was a first hand piece of info.

Paul

My ebook on the Titanic is available at http://www.paullee.com/book_details.php

The problem with accounts that are so many years after an event is to figure out what was real, from what was rumored, popularized, and repeated enough times that it was believed. If someone said we rang the warning bell three times before the 1st officer changed course, how would you interpret that remark?

Much of what Ms. Caldwell stated, she would not have been on the ship to have seen herself. It must have been stories she heard either on the Carpathia, or read in the papers after she got back on-shore.

Most of what she said in the letter was, I agree hearsay, such as the titbits regarding Astor and Ismay, but the story about the lookout is different. She says she was told this, and we know that, indeed, a lookout was in her lifeboat.

Back