Walter Lord

I always had a doubt about ANTR, why Walter Lord showed in the end the allison quiet and smiles, when actually the allison were searching their son. Never he (Lord) talked about the allison with two children. Why......

It's not so much that Mr. Lord presented a one-sided view. It's just that almost 50 years later, new information has surfaced since he wrote ANTR. He published what was available at the time.

Kyrila

The final arrangements have been made to inter Walter's ashes next to his mother's grave in Baltimore on June 17th (Monday).If the current headstone is not used for Walter, a memorial marker will be designed for the cemetery. If it is used, there is a thought to remembering him at his alma mater, Gilmore School in Baltimore. The charities listed, in order of preference are The New York Historical Society, The New York Society Library, South Street Seaport, The Ocean Liner Museum. All these institutions have websites with addresses and contacts. The service on June 10th will be a celebration of a remarkable life.

I read in to day s New York Times that Albin Krebs, who wrote the obituary about Walter Lord in that newspaper May 21 is also dead. The obituary about Krebs (73) was in New York Times June 4.
Also The Sun Herald writes about Krebs (June 5)
Krebs was well known for writing obituaries about prominent people, probably the last prominent one was Walter Lord?
Krebs also wrote the obituary about Louis Armstrong on July 7 1971.

Hi Arne,

Walter didn't know that Olaus Abelseth was still alive until after ANTR was published. Walter used Abelseth's testimony at the American Inquiry for his book. The two men were regular correspondents afterward, once ANTR was published and interest in the Titanic was renewed. Walter admitted that Abelseth's letters were of "great interest" to him since he was on board until almost the last.

The two wrote about the various incidents on collapsible A, and Olaus, even in the 1970s, had specific memories about that boat. Walter often asked if he recalled just how many men were on the boat during the night and Abelseth recalled that there were only 12 still alive when morning arrived.

Walter and Olaus never met, but it was obvious that Walter was so pleased to be in communication with him.

There must have been over twenty or twenty-five letters that I recall in the Abelseth file from the time span of 1955 through the late 1970s.

Thought this might be of some interest...

Best,

Mike Findlay

He started me off on the voyage and so sorry to hear he has passed away.His Night To Remember is still considered a benchmark for other authors to follow.RIP

I went to South Street Seaport in New York City the other day. Among other things, my friend and I went to the tiny art gallery they have there. The gallery is named "Walter Lord Gallery". A nice tribute...

Thanks for sharing that bit of news Karin. The Titanic memorial lighthouse which used to be a part of the Seaman's Church Institute is also at South Street. For a time it was being used as an info tourist kiosk until enough people objected to that usage.

The gallery has borne Lord's name for quite a few years now; this is not a recent, posthumous honor. I was there as far back as 2000, and it already was called the Walter Lord Gallery.

I posting a challenge on the Lord tribute pages--can all of you out there name all of Walter Lord's books? Although A Night To Remember is the book he will be best remembered for, it was far from the only book he did. Have fun.

Back