Walter Lord

Shelly, I'm not so sure about everyone knowing Walter published so many books. Everyone knows about a Night To Remember but draw a blank about the rest.

When I was about 10 years old I wrote sort of a fan letter to Walter Lord. To my amazement he replied--a very gracious letter, typed on his personal paper with the engraved letterhead in red. In 1982, at age 28, I attended the THS meeting in Philadelphia and went up to Lord to introduce myself. As soon as I said that I was from Texas he told me that he remembered me and the nature of my letter written to him almost 20 years ago! He was truly a gentleman, to say nothing of his contributions to history.

You'd never think that from the tacky obituaries I saw. What a disgrace. I let both the NY Daily News (which gave Walter two measly paragraphs in contrast to the wrap around section they devoted to the criminal life and times of John Gotti) and Newsday have it for treating Walter's life in such a shabby manner. I even think Walter got gypped during his lifetime--he never got any of the major book awards like the Pulitzer or the National Book Award for non-fiction. Shameful.

Dear Sharon,

I never had an inkling that Walter Lord had been neglected by the book world or the press at the time of his death. I used to take the New York Times Sunday edition (delivered on Wednesday in Salado, Texas!), but the expense and my own lack of free time to justify that expense resulted in my cancelling the service. Consequently, I didn't see the obituaries about this great man's death and couldn't get annoyed by the apparent lack of interest.

I'm afraid people just don't read anymore, and great writers like Lord have become "non-people" from a commercial standpoint.

This is another reason why I am so pleased to find this intelligent and affectionate forum of people who READ!

Regards,
Doug

Isn't it a pity Doug? I wrote to City Hall asking that E. 68th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues be renamed for Walter Lord. I got a polite card back saying the matter would be rerouted to some legislative committee. I'm not exactly holding my breath for these snails to make a decision anytime soon but I thought it would be a fitting tribute to a real class act.

The Times had a fairly decent obituary although Walter was upstaged by the death of scientist Stephen Jay Gould.

Thanks for the post.

Back